What to do?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by danf_fl, Aug 9, 2010.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Iwas just asked what is the best coyote rifle. A person has had cats eaten by a coyote and would like to remove the pest.

Do I:
    1. Suggest a good rifle?
    2. Suggest removal of the food source?
    3. Offer to take the watch and secure his property of invading canines?

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Remove the food source. Coyote are predators of opportunity. Let you pet or kid roam free and you take your chances.

Doesn't hurt to suggest a good AR though!!

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

IMHO, all of the above.

4. Josey Wales '94

Josey Wales '94 New Member

Where does he live? Suburb, rural......
    And its up to you, you could say, "Hey if you want, I'll take care of him."
    Or, as you said you could suggest ways to take him out, or take his reason for comin around out. Up to you.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Why not kill the coyote(s) for him & feed them to the cats.

Alternatively, you could offer some self-defense classes for the household pets. :)

I'm still waiting to hear of a successful coyote hunt using the Ipod/Iphone app "Kitty!" that imitates various categories of cat sounds, including kitten calls. It works on most of the household pets i've tried it on.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I'd go for #2 and #3. After all you don't want to miss out on the fun of popping them yourself. Another thing-if he/she is in an urban or suburban location it may not be safe to use a rifle.

7. danf_fl

He told me that the coyote was following him when he was bush-hogging. I'll check, but sounds kind of rural.

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Sounds to me like most of the food source was already removed.....LOL

Ok.......kidding aside, I would suggest 1, 2 or 3. But personally, 3 would be the most fun!

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If he is clearing bush and a coyote is following, tell him to get a 12ga w/ #4 lead. He may have a den near to where he is cutting.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

1. - No. Unless they are an accomplished shooter, in which case they shouldn't be asking you for a caliber. So answer one....

2. - If by remove the source you mean telling them to get rid of the cats, you are probably going to encounter some resistance to that.

3. - Unless you have a lawyer on retainer and a bunch of cash just laying around for "fun money"?? No.

Tell them you call game and wildlife, and baring that, get a hold of a professional and at least get a quote. Game traps can backfire on the home owner, and shooting animals without proper permits, out of season and in danger of backdrop can just lead to legal troubles no one needs.

I am all for whacking some 'yotes, but you need to be realistic and consider the real world implications for possible actions.

Good luck.

11. danf_fl

Convinced individual to get with Dept of Wildlife. They consider the coyote to be a pest and informed him of options. He is not too familiar with firearms (scratch #1). He is not willing to remove food source (cats) (scratch #2). Dillinger's response has me rethinking my option of shooting the coyote for the individual. (scratch #3).

12. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Man JD, you take all the fun out of hunting. If I needed to retain a lawyer every time I did a little pest control here in Wisconsin I couldn't afford the dang bullets. I guess I live in a whole different culture here in the Wisconsin and I'm happy for that.

I once asked a landowner for permission to hunt bunnies on his farm. He said alright but to be careful not to shoot the kids or the dogs. I told him he didn't have anything to worry about because my licence didn't include kids or dogs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  13. keitho

keitho New Member

go to town and buy a big live trap ---bait it with a can of saridines --no mustard no catsup just fish in oil ---get ready for a trip to the pound ;) If you are going to turn him/her loose plan on going 25-30 miles away

14. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I didnt think about that one, I guess its because here in CO, we can shoot them anytime (with a license).

15. neil-v1

neil-v1 New Member

I would kill it if it is a threat to people. Other than that, you need to expect the animal to take the easiest food source.

16. Merc187

Merc187 New Member

Nice!

In all seriousness, as long as the proper premits are aquired along with permission from the land owner - It's time for a 'yote trip! There are always more than one. Use the proper season to keep the numbers in check and his predator problem will be under control.

May be an opportunity to introduce to him the sport as well.