What to do with my 28-2

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Robby Ray, Jan 16, 2020.

1. BillM

BillM Well-Known Member Supporter

Smith made 54 4" brushed nickel 28s in 1972 . They also made 25 5" bright nickel 28s for the Florida HP in 1959. Most all of those found are in collections now. No other nickel 28s of any kind are known to exist except aftermarket refinished ones.
    The 54 from 1972 was one S serial number S2875XX and the other 53 were from N28400 and N59622 in the five digit range.
    The 25 FHPs form 1959 were in the S1890XX and S1926XX rage. All no dash and 4 screw guns obviously.
    They never made any 28's in stainless.
    Any other finish other than factory blued on a 28 is aftermarket.
    Nickel plate,Chromoloy, Metalife, hard Chrome in shiny and brushed--all were popular.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. Robby Ray

Robby Ray New Member

I am no photographer, so that probably doesn't help. It is definitely not something that was painted on, or done cheaply. It looks very nice. Additionally, whoever did it (if it didn't come from SW this way) knew enough not to mess with the trigger and hammer.

OLD Ron, SGWGunsmith and Rifling82 like this.

3. Robby Ray

Robby Ray New Member

4. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Could be "satin chrome". Have heard of salt water fisherman shooting sharks with a handgun, thus maybe a chrome finish?
    I'd try a Q-Tip with a drop of cold blue to see if it discolors.

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, it's a great-looking revolver.

lewwallace, BillM and Rifling82 like this.
  6. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

It's interesting to see that the front sight is dovetailed. Can't remember seeing any other S&W revolvers like that, most were pinned or silver soldered on.

OLD Ron likes this.
  7. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I can see where an aftermarket Chrome finish would look quite close to Stainless. Tough to judge in pictures. The dovetail is not a normal S&W feature and the night sight on that old a gun is absolutely not.

OLD Ron likes this.
  8. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I’d post some pics on the S&W forums. A lot of old timers, ex S&W employees and very knowledgeable collectors hang out there.

Rifling82, OLD Ron and sheepdawg like this.
  9. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Looks fine on the pics. If it’s stainless steel, leave it. Nickel gets ugly when it peels, but steel looks good somehow even with discolorations.
    Wallace go back to writing novels :)

10. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Is this rust? Theres another spot down by the trigger guard

upload_2020-1-16_13-39-3.png

11. Robby Ray

Robby Ray New Member

Not rust. Definitely a defect in both areas. Was there when I got the gun

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought it looked like maybe it was finished with something and it was peeling off.... tough for me to tell on my phone

OLD Ron likes this.
  13. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Try vinegar or similar acid cleaner. It removes brown stains from steel, and if not, won’t hurt it.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

1. Everybody stop the name calling. Now.
    2. The model 28 was not made in stainless. As noted, darned few in factory nickel. If you look at the rear face of the cylinder of a factory nickel Smith, it has a stamped letter N.

3. However it got to where it is, that is a nice looking S&W.

15. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry New Member

I recall there was such a thing as a nickle plated Model 28. That gun is extremely rare. There is a possibility of an aftermarket finish. Back in the day these guns were passed of as mismarked stainless Smith's. Check out Armoloy on the net. I go along with leave the gun alone. Shoot and enjoy the handgun.

16. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Aftermarket coating ............... as mentioned, most likely Armoloy. At that time Armoly was the new thing and quite a few gunsmiths explored it (real popular in the mid -80s). Was a decent coating (electro-plating actually). Stood up pretty well to perspiration etc. I still own a few 1911s that I had Armoloyed back in the day. (my guess the front sight was changed out again later)

Anyway, long story shortened; gun is not rare. Looks like it would make a fine shooter though. Find a front sight you like and enjoy it. I wouldn't bother trying to restore it; would cost more than the gun is worth.

17. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry New Member

It's all about the quality of work. It's hard to tell from the photo but, somebody may have spent some money on your 28-2 in the day. My 28-2 dates from 1966-67 and is unmodified. It's hard to get wrapped around the idea of restoring a matte finish. Personally, I see customized Smith's as being in a separate class of handgun. I'm a shooter not a collector.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020