Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our guy didn't show up to mow our grass for several weeks, lot of rain too.
So SIl and his Brother graciously mowed the 3 1/2 acres or so.
Let it lay a day. it was really tall, and raked up sever pick truck loads of grass so it would kill the grass underneath.
Good forage. they piled in the little cove and deer are crazy over it. He was adding to the pile this evening and heard coyotes, a very little fawn came our of the surrounding grass and up to him. he could hear coyotes and hollered to scare them off. Didn't see the Mama. I hope the little fawn is not orphan.
Told him he should have sat there and let it come to him if it wanted. Mam would have meade it known if she was around.
We had more than one but one in particular would approach the car r stand there and watch me in the drive. it is legal to have deer as pets with no permits here and I would not object to one or two on the porch. They feed right around the house anyway. don't think I'll put out corn fora bit. Little ones can't handle it well.
I really enjoy the wildlife except the coyotes as they eat the deer and turkeys ad everything else, move on ndcome back to do it again when they are present. Som neardo well killed our resident Bobcat apparently but he left some kids with te Mama cat that someone dropped off. Black Gray ,srtiped and coloroed like Dad with shor tail middlesize tails and logntails hesited up rear ends long legs andbpig paws but mild as milk toast. and smallish.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
We love our deer and our fawns. Not much of a 'yote threat, thankfully, and the deer are pretty much chomping down on apples from our apple trees just yards from the house, while I'm on the front porch. We love nature's critters, and thankfully the bunnies are a bit more abundant this year compared to the past few years. May run in cycles...No big cats/Bobcats in the area in the 16 years I've lived on this farm.

Saw a bat taking a nap in our barn two nights ago - cute little guy. Wondering if I should name it Wuhan...

Great news was yesterday, I saw our regular single Great Blue Heron flying over our property with a mate! Always felt sorry for it not having a mate.

As for mown grass, it stays where it was cut. With about 15 acres, we don't "do" raking. The deer have no problem with that, nor does our horse or the rabbits or the ground hogs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't know what the attraction is. Horse pasture is belly deep and green. Mixture of native, Bermuda, rye and wheat. Horses are fat.

But, mow and bag the yard. Take the bag and dump it in the pasture. The horses are there like it is the greatest thing ever.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Don't let it blow onto the pavement. Causes motorcycle wrecks sometimes.
"Pavement" is a gravel drive. As is the private drive leading to our driveway. PITA to maintain sometimes, but keeps the riff-raff away, as well as any skate-boarding Antifas. Never got surprised with visitors when our beloved dogs were with us - they could hear the sound of gravel being driven on ½ mile away.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Don't let it blow onto the pavement. Causes motorcycle wrecks sometimes.
I think that is one of the most slovenly, air-headed things to do when mowing. It looks bad, does cause both bicycle and motorcycle wrecks and is right down there with people that litter and throw cigarette butts out the window. One reason people hunt is to enjoy the pristine parts of earth.

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Well, I was merely creating an awareness in the interest of my motorcycling friends and clippings on hard-surfaced pavement. On my gravel road, grass clippings are the least of riders' concerns.

Here, with warm-season grass, the mown grass is left on our lawn, not swept up. It goes to the ground, provides a mulching effect and smothers some weeds to preserve moisture. (That's what I've always told Management when she asked why I don't sweep up clippings.) So far, it's worked for me. She does not read forums.

Plus, my chickens really like "lawn mowing day".

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
I was creating an awareness that people ride cycles with only two wheels on pavement where people like a neighbor allows his lawnmower to cover an entire lane heavily with lawn clippings. Next time it happens, there will be a formal complaint filed with the city (it may not wait that long). The city does act on all complaints and replies publicly. The guy could have mowed in the other direction or just cleaned up his mess and perhaps saved someone a trip to the hospital and a possible lawsuit for himself. What he does is against local laws and I support that law. It's the same one that is supposed to cut down on mud being slung onto roadways from vehicles. It's worded pretty all inclusively. It doesn't take rocket science to improve one's self-awareness to the level that there is something wrong with trashing a roadway.

This guy probably trashes areas where other people hunt. People do it and it's the same mentality.

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
We have not even a yardlight within eyesight - 2 miles down a gravel road with weeds growing in the middle part of the way. My "neighbors" mow with 20' wide bat-wing mowers behind large green tractors that cost more than some folks' homes. One graciously mows the steep roadside imbankment that I cannot without turning over my mower. Rabbits chomp down on clippings because we have zero vehicles for days on end passing by.

Were I to live on a paved surface (and I have), grass clippings were a concern and always removed. Now ..nope.

Highway mowing crews do create grass clipping dangers, for sure, but not likely to be included in their work orders will be running a street sweeper on secondary blacktops. They don't even have funding for picking up road kill deer.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
The reference I made was a person that makes a road lane very slick (ever ridden a bicycle or motorcycle on heavy grass clippings?). All he had to do was mow in the opposite direction to have the clippings stay in his yard to go back to nature or clean up the street himself. He either isn't smart, doesn't care, or has low self awareness or all of them. I'm not really interested in grass clippings but civility is civility. Other people live in the neighborhood and the roadway is busy.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
rake it into a pile and burn it
Easier to contact the city through their "report a problem" place on their website. They do act on every one of them unless it's ridiculous and they do go knock on people's doors and have adult conversations. I'm paying them to do it do when I get home from La., they will get another report. I really don't like talking about mown grass clippings. I'd rather figure out a way to keep deer from eating all of my landscaping and maybe have to forage where hunters can do their thing. At one time hunting was fun for me but it ran it's course. Still have all but one of the guns. A very accurate Remington 7600 (I think that was the model, pump 30-06.

·
Premium Member
6,951 Posts
I'd rather figure out a way to keep deer from eating all of my landscaping and maybe have to forage where hunters can do their thing.
Me, too! I've reduced my landscaping to mown grass, live in the midst of hundreds of acres of wild, overgrown woods and fields and what do I get?
Deer tearing down my yard fences instead of walking through the open gates as they congregate on my lawn from dusk to dawn.
Running through the fences in a wild "Oh, s***" panic every time my dog goes out to pee!
If I ate venison I would have some young tender stuff in the freezer, for sure!

ellis

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Me, too! I've reduced my landscaping to mown grass, live in the midst of hundreds of acres of wild, overgrown woods and fields and what do I get?
Deer tearing down my yard fences instead of walking through the open gates as they congregate on my lawn from dusk to dawn.
Running through the fences in a wild "Oh, s***" panic every time my dog goes out to pee!
If I ate venison I would have some young tender nstuff in the freezer, for sure!

ellis
You and me both. One of my abodes is in a city neighborhood and I can't even grow azaleas due to deer. One of these days I'm going to fence them off. They try to bed down between mine and my neighbors house like they bought the lot. Deer and coyotes are adapting to us very well. I see too many coyotes but they're hard as hell to kill even though I see them first through my sunroom window. I have some subsonic 22LR for them but they have good eyesight and score: them 100%, me, 0%. I could kill more deer than I could guess at but I don't want the aftermath.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
We grow bushes to feed the deer: forsythias being the main ones. Rabbits love them too as a nice safety zone. Different mindset: we have a few perennials that return each year, some of which attract the deer. We're good as we don't obsess over them - living in a wilderness does certainly change one's mindset, and having deer around is a big plus. Our three apple trees are mostly good for the critters on our land, as they get apple-rust/cedar-rust - nothing we would ever consider for sale. All is fine, and we take some apples for delicious 100% pure applesauce. The rest...the deer and rabbits and possums and raccoons and ground-hogs and squirrels are welcome to the fallen apples, and it is a wonder watching them partake of God's bounty. It is why we so love living on this farm, where growing things is for the critters mostly and there is little effort.

We occasionally grow some herbs - which do fine in pots on our porch, and have grown cherry-tomatoes that overwhelm our needs even though the critters enjoy them too. Previous owner grew corn and advised: "plan for 1/3 for the critters, 1/3 for disease/bugs, and 1/3 for yourself" (for him, it was feed corn for his cattle). Pretty true words, although we haven't planted corn or anything else. It is very fertile soil for corn.

And that is pretty much the whole point! We and our neighbors moved to this spot of wilderness to enjoy the wildlife in all its glory - not to farm and battle that wildlife, but rather to embrace it. And we're doing just that, with one neighbor doing a small veggie garden but fencing it off quite well.

'Yotes are rare, as are foxes, but they occasionally visit, for which they are "discouraged" from returning...Rarely but sometimes permanently. Life is good here - better than I could have ever imagined in my life.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
I've read more than once that there are more deer in the US now then when people first settled the place. I can't verify that but apparently somebody thinks so. They like to eat my stuff that wasn't planted for them. I'll spare them the death penalty and the guy that messes up the street with very heavy grass cuttings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts