What to do with CRAP magazine?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by CHLChris, Dec 2, 2010.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Last time at the range a single-stack 1911 magazine of mine (no brand name on it) has several failures to load. I set it aside and waited until my next trip, which was today.

Again, every other round was jamming on the feed ramp ONLY in this magazine.

Do I just throw it away? Do I mark with the scarlet letter and put it in the back of my safe? What?

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'd mark it and hang onto it. You never know, you might find a gun it works in or come across a new spring for it and save the thing.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Mark it, use it for practicing immediate action drills, tweek the lips to see if you can get it to work.

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I marked a hash on it with a sharpie and put it on my dresser (not even loaded). You think it could be the spring?

5. Thunderbear

Thunderbear New Member

Spring, follower, feed lips. Try a Wolff mag spring +10%. Those are pretty good about fixing a lot of undersprung mags.

6. WDB

WDB New Member

Either figure out why it doesn't feed or toss it. Might be the spring or a bent retainer. If you can't figure it out toss it as it has no worth to you IMHO. The only good mag is the one that works everytime, fix it or dump it.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

5# double jack, big rock, smashed mag...Just Kidding

I like the Idea of saving it for FTF drills. I'd hit it with some spray paint so as not to ci=onfuse it with functioning mags. Also something you can drop in the dirt and not worry about.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I just finally tossed a Kimber mag that I got tired of fooling with. The follower would catch somehow and it would FTF. I didn't think it was worth fooling with since it had a fixed baseplate.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

It's not like it's a Wilson. I'm of a mind to just toss it. Honestly, even the very best magazine would only get a couple of chances at the range. I don't like the idea of trusting my life to a failure.

So...an AR round through the center of it? How about tossing it in the air and trying to put a .45 through it in the air? Either of those would be fun and require a trip to the Estacada rock quarry.
    :D

10. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

You can always use it for target practice!

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would be glad to take it off your hands if you want to snail mail it to me.

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear New Member

Keep it, mark it, and use it for malf drills in training exercises.

13. freefall

freefall New Member

Hit it with a large hammer and throw it away. Although I have two crappy ones I have saved to use as forms for making mag pouches.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's what I was thinking too.

15. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I had a couple of mags that were like that, that I kept and marked the bottom of for action drills. Kept them in my range bag so I would not mix them up.

16. WDB

WDB New Member

If it's broken and you can't fix it then get rid of it. Using it for FTF practic is wrong, put a snap cap in your working mags to train fail to fire. Don't keep crap that doesn't work. Yes you can mark it as crap but why add the weight to your range bag? My range bag is already heavy enough with items that work why would I add crap that doesn't?

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'd toss it-
    One day you might forget & try to use it at the WRONG time :(

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I don't yet have so many magazines that I have a pile of functional magazines that I'm just not using. Every one of my tried and true mags are loaded and next to the gun. This one is off in the corner, crying, waiting for papa to make his final pronouncement, with a big black scarlet letter emblazoned on the side in sharpie. Dead mag walking...

That's funny, Chris...thank you, Chris.

19. SwampFox

SwampFox New Member

I had this table once with a really short leg.....