What to do with a dutch rifle?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by oklaccer, Aug 30, 2009.

1. oklaccer

oklaccer New Member

I have a Dutch Mannlicher, Hembrug 1917. It has been looked at by several gunsmiths and pronounced safe to fire. Problem is ammunition. It is chambered for 6.5x53R, which was used by the Dutch and Romanians for just a few years. Reloading equipment is expensive, as is buying loaded ammunition. Now to my question. Is it possible to rechamber this for a more modern cartridge that is more readily available? What would the options be? Is there another option I am missing? Should I just leave it as it is and never try to use it? ? ? ? I am open to just about any suggestion. Help please.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is also called the .256 Mannlicher. Cases can be formed from .303 British brass. Unless you are serious about reloading it is probably not a project you want to tackle. As far as rechambering, it is probably not worth even considering. Hang it on the wall and get a rifle in a more common chambering.

3. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

dutch

hav you got the clips chargers what ever.as you need them.sarco has them.
    I made ammo for one,using 6.5 jap or carcano.cant remember which.Dies not ammo.ammo is 6.5..264.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

5. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

"Don't play the laughing boy. There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."

Nigel Powers

6. oklaccer

oklaccer New Member

I have the clips and about 40 rounds that were bought about 15 years back that had the wrong diameter bullet. I'm in the process of reloading with the correct bullet to see how it shoots. Will let y'all know.

7. oklaccer

oklaccer New Member