What to carry?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by fins59, Apr 20, 2012.

1. fins59

fins59 New Member

Currently own a XD .45 compact. I'm debating on whether I want to wait for the XDs to be available, or go with a Compact 1911. The 1911 doesn't seem significantly smaller than the standard XD. But as I'm not carrying yet, I don't know if the little difference there is will feel huge. Of course I am semi open to other ideas. With a few exceptions, don't want a Glock (don't like the feel of it) , I want to stick with a .45.

2. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

get a max tuck holster from white hat holsters and lug your current xd around for a while. you will probably find that it is easily enough concealed, has more capacity, and less weight than most similar sized 1911's. don't get me wrong, i LOVE my 1911, but there is a reason i retired it from carry duty.

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

You got that right, RY. Figured I'd carry my 1911 when I got my CPL. Didn't take too much of that before I was shopping for something lighter.

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Lightweight Commander & CCO 1911s fit the bill for me.

5. fins59

fins59 New Member

Probably for the time being, at least gonna try carrying the XD, see how that works out. I love the gun and how well it shoots, and it is lighter than comparably priced 1911s. So I guess if I carry it for a while and decide its just to much, and the XDs don't seem compact enough, I'll have to look into a compact in a smaller caliber....It pained me to type that.

6. redfox

redfox New Member

You should have no trouble carrying your xd. I carry my xdm 3.8 daily. I use a Cleveland holster(like the suoertuck) although lately I just use a deaantia gunhide.

7. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Take a look at Para Ordnance (now PARA USA) .45's. A wide range of sizes and finishes, from 3" barrel to 5". Also, they have single-action and their proprietary LDA (light double action). I carry my Para Warthog ( a single-action .45 , OAL 6.5", height 4.5", 3"barrel, 10+1 capacity) most of the time in hot weather, which is most of the time here in South Carolina. It is pretty accurate, dependable, and downright ugly (intimidating) to look at.
    Another pretty good .45, but not a 1911, is a Ruger P345. DA/SA hybrid, 4.2" barrel, 7.75" long, 5.5" high. 8+1 capacity. Exposed hammer. Plenty accurate for self-defense, reasonably easy to conceal, and as far as durability is concerned, well, it is a Ruger.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  8. fins59

fins59 New Member

Thanks guys lots o good ideas to look into. For starters though I reckon a good holster and use what I got.

9. Nighthawk63

Nighthawk63 New Member

I carry S&W model 59 and I have many different ways to carry depending on the time of year and what I am going to be doing for that day. Everyone know that you want it comfortable and where it is easy to get to. I had a leather guy make me a light weight holster that fits in the small of back and slips down inside my jeans. Especially when I wear T shirts and most people do not know it is there only the ones who know me.