What to call the Space Force troops?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mister Dave, Feb 6, 2020.

1. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

in the Army we called all the clerks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but not to their face. there are certain people you don't want to pi$$off
    1) cooks
    2) supply Sergeants
    3) clerks who are dealing with your finical records and the clerks who process your administrative request

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    danf_fl likes this.
  2. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

For sure.

There was an E-6 Yeoman running the "office" last ship I was on. He was dead serious when he said "I'll drop your records in a bag addressed Naval Station, Adak! It will be a year before you get paid!"

ellis

W.T. Sherman likes this.

3. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

4. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

In a previous life, I worked as a contractor for the Army's Space and Missile Defense Command (SMDC). I was part of the Army's recognition and implementation of the Army's first (and only) Space Brigade (yes, there is one, with subordinated battalions, companies, and teams). Part of our work was identifying Army Military occupational Specialties (MOS) that should change to something "Space". That failed miserably - primarily due to numbers, but there is an Army Functional Area (Space - FA40) for officers.

We never really addressed the title or MOS for enlisted soldiers, for a good reason. The focus was/is support to Army field units. The best way to ensure this support was consistent was to ensure soldiers in a Space force fully understood the demands, utility, and requirements of the folks supported. The best way was to use soldiers with experience with the "supported". That made sense and still does. Like blood for the Tree of Liberty, it needs occasional refreshing, lest the Army's Space soldiers suffer from an incestuous branch.

To be sure, there are needs for technical expertise and experience, but there is also a danger with being too insular - at least as the Army should be concerned.

I lived through this in my Army career as (at first) an Infantry LT but shifting to Transportation (not my idea, but can't complain - "any jerk can walk to work";)). Knowing what the ultimate customer needs (the troops) by having been there was far more important than the technicalities.

So no, I don't have a name/title for members of the new Space Force. While many will spend tremendous bureaucratic energy wrestling with what to call a member of the Space Force, that is really the equivalent of rearranging deck chairs of the Titanic. This is not to compare the Space Force to the Titanic - the nation should really have a Space Force, but the clutching of pearls over what we will call a member reflects a greater importance than what it should be.

Just call 'em "Spocks" and be done with it...:D

locutus and W.T. Sherman like this.
  5. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

The analogy for space and the sea is imperfect. On the ocean ships "sail" those on the ship = Sailors.

Now a submarine is a better analogy for a spacecraft. Submarines carry submariners.

What is another word for space?
    The void, nah it rhymes with 'roid.

Celestial.....Celestials? Too close to testicles.

Cosmos...Cosmonauts has been done. Cosmariner?

Cosmariner? Then you use Navy Ranks...
    Except replace "Rear" Admiral with Commodore

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  6. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

7. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Pot heads with an outstanding view ......?

Rifling82 likes this.
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Just to clarify things- THIS is a jar head...
    [​IMG]

9. c3shooter

And to clarify- the admin folks in the Army (Chairborne) are also known as Remington Rangers (standard Army manual typewriter was made by Remington) Their motto was "Never retreat- only backspace"

And the list of people you avoid having displeased with you- should include the custodian of your shot record.

RJF22553 and towboater like this.
  10. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

So going on what the Defence Forces have for Police which are MP's would it be right to call the space version of MP's Pigs In Space?(shamelessly stolen off The Muppets)

"And to clarify- the admin folks in the Army (Chairborne) are also known as Remington Rangers (standard Army manual typewriter was made by Remington) Their motto was "Never retreat- only backspace"

And the list of people you avoid having displeased with you- should include the custodian of your shot record."

When I was running my own truck there was a few people you didn't piss off..................... cooks at a truck stop and forklift drivers for a start.

11. Grit

Grit New Member

Intergalactic Space Force. ISF

towboater likes this.
  12. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

y

It would have to be either Intragalactic Space force or Galactic S.F
    Ain't nobody going between other galaxies for a looooong time.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

How long depends on what kind of recon we find up there.

towboater and boatme98 like this.
  14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

What are your coordinates, maybe we can ha e Scotty to deposit you somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  15. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

If there's anything out there, it's probably not in our Galaxy. We've been looking around the neighborhood for quite some time, never seen any verifiable signs of intelligent life.

16. c3shooter

Just give them a real snappy beret, and call them the "Spacial Forces". :p

Mister Dave and boatme98 like this.
  17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Will they still wear the camo fatigues???

boatme98 likes this.
  18. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Sort of!

ellis

12085463.jpg

danf_fl, towboater and boatme98 like this.
  19. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If there was another planet as far from the center of our galaxy as we are, but on the opposite side, and they started radio broadcasts about when we did: We’d first detect them in another 53,000 years.

The Milky Way is 150 to 180-kly across. The Sun is about 26-kly from the center.

The neighborhood is huge.

towboater and boatme98 like this.