What to buy

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by JolietGunner, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

I dont know if I should buy a .45 or a 357.I just have a .22 right now but Im looking to buy a home defense gun now.

2. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

IMO....i would go 45. I'm not sure that I have a reason beyond the fact that I love my buddies SW e-series. Definitely on top of my list for purchase!

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Can you afford to do a lot of practice with a 45?

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you can try both, pick the one you shoot best. Both are very capable calibers.

5. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

My first ever firearm was a Ruger Security Six (stainless) .357. It is still my favorite of any that I have had since.

It's versatile because you can shoot .38 special for a little cheaper and yet still a good self-defense round. I'm not knocking the .45 I've had one of those too that was great... but still nothing compares to my ol' faithful!

Now I've got a .357 lever action to keep it company!

RJ

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Both great rounds, but the 357 has more oomph. If it were only as simple as a caliber debate, it would be easy, 357 hands down!

But it's not so easy. Have you shot revolvers before? Because unless you choose 357sig, the mags are revolver only. If you can shoot a revolver as well as a semiautomatic, then the 357 remains champ. More energy and more velocity prove that as far as I'm concerned.

Is a 45 bigger in diameter, yes, but that's not enough to make up the difference.

Now, what I chose for home protect was the 45, but that's because revolvers don't work well in my hands. The ergos are all wrong and I can't and won't do anything with either a long trigger, or a short one I either have to cock or don't have a manual safety for.

7. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

I shot a ruger .45 semi auto last week and fell in love.I have not yet shot a .357 my brother in law has one Ill be shooting soon.I wanted to see what others thought on the matter.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

One main concern right now is the availability of ammo.

.38 Special is easier to obtain than .45 ACP.

9. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

Connan makes a .357 mag 1911. Or you can go big with the dessert eagle.

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

That's right, there are a couple of exceptions.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Anticipate that you will eventually own both.

Considering the market today, how difficult to find and expensive some ammo is; I would lean towards the 357. That said, my 45 is my goto night stand gun; while my 357 stays in the safe.

How's that for a definitive answer? ;)

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As stated. My vote is for the 357 Mag. if you plan on a lot of shooting because you can buy and shoot 38 Loads of all kinds in it including the less expensive wad cutters. And the 357 is an excellent round for self defense. I love the good 1911s as well and also are great defense weapons but ammo costs a little more generally. Unless you load!
    I keep a 1911 45 ACP as well as a Glock 40 Cal. Model 27 close at home for quick response.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Totally a personal choice.

For my tastes, 45acp is a better urban fit and 357mag wins in the great outdoors.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

15. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Thanks for all the input.I already know I can shoot the .45 pretty accurately.So Ill see how I handle the .357 hopefully this week sometime.But Im sure I will own both sometime down the road.

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Why is that Scott?

17. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I don't.

I know the 357 to be the best defective round there is, hands down, and yet I don't and won't ever own one.

Just saying...

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I love the idea of the 10mm, but isn't it just like the 357sig, great potential with little production in results, comparatively?

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The Desert Eagle is not a defense gun IMO, it is for the range only (in any caliber). It is just prone to problems, difficult to handle and does not always go into full battery. My buddy has one and it is one of the guns he always brings to the range- its a great gun but I wouldn't rely on it for defense. YMMV.

What about .40S&W? Ammo is cheaper than .45, and more readily available. Lots of possibilities out there. If I were looking for my first HD/SD gun it would probably be between .40S&W or .357.

I have a GP100 that is my regular HD gun. The backup is a S&W L-frame in the same caliber. The backup to that one is a Blackhawk. I also could use my Glock 22 .40S&W, but I don't. Fortunately I have not ever needed it.

20. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The 40sw and 357mag are the two most effective "man stoppers"/killers there are. That 17 year study reported on shows this to be fact. This includes police and civilian altercations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.