What to buy

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by JolietGunner, Mar 12, 2013.

1. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Im looking for a good but not expensive revolver.Its mostly for home defense and shooting range any suggestions?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I really enjoy my Ruger GP100 (357mag/38spcl) at the range, and it would be pretty impressive for home defense. You can use less expensive little .38spcl at the range for soft-shooting plinking fun, and you can use some scary .357mag loads for HD.

3. jrl78

jrl78 New Member

I'd go with a .357 Smith and Wesson loaded with 2 or 3 rounds of snake shot. Good all around revolver, good knock down power, the first few rounds of snake shot should be enough get someone out of your way and If not you'll still have the next few rounds of .357 to put them down with. Just my opinion, I'm no expert.

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

S&W revolvers are expensive these days, even the used ones. I'd look for a Taurus or Rossi. I've never shot either, I have 2 S&Ws, but I'd consider them if I was in the market today.

5. jrl78

jrl78 New Member

That's true, they are up there in price.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Last two used Smiths (Mod 19 & 28) I got where under 500 bucks. But if I was looking to save on a new revolver I"d definitely go with the Ruger GP100. They are built like a tank and have no problem with a full house load. The ability to use 38s to save a little money on practice ammo is nice too.:)

7. txpossum

txpossum New Member

How "not expensive" do you need it to be? Look for a good, used S&W, Ruger, or Colt. A .38 special will usually be significantly cheaper than a .357 (which, of course, shoots both). Several people here will disagree with me, but I don't see anything wrong with a .22 as a first revolver -- fun, inexpensive to shoot, and, I think, can also function adequately as a home self defense gun. I know I wouldn't want to get shot with one.

Don't get a "snubby". Get a moderate size frame (such as the Smith K frame) with a 4" barrel. A .357 revolver with a 4" barrel is the most useful handgun there is.

If you can't afford a used Smith, Ruger, or Colt, then look at Taurus or Rossi. Decent, very useable handguns.

You should be able to get a good, used .38 for under $350.

8. DiabloMan

DiabloMan New Member

Find a Ruger SP 101 in 38 spec. Taurus is GOOD!

9. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

It wouldn't be my first choice but a 22 could be used for self defense.They can usually be picked up fairly cheap and are fun to shoot. I guess the availability of ammo right now would be the down fall!!!!!

10. orangello

orangello New Member

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus revolvers -- their quality control is AWFUL these day. Buy a Rossi before Taurus can influence them!

12. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

13. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Stay away from taurus I have one if there paper weights now. Its about to go back to get fixed for a second time. Go with a ruger, it may be alittle more but it will work.

14. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Possibly something to consider is a Ruger Single Six Convertible. It has two cylinders -- one for .22 long rifle and one for the significantly more powerful .22 magnum. It is a well balanced, fun gun to shoot.

15. PGM

PGM New Member

My favorite is a snubbie 38+p. Inside a house a 357 would be too much and the new rem golden saber 125 brass jacketed h.p. scored 2nd in tests.My wifes s+w 442 at 15 oz. isnt cheap but i cant think of a better combo home/carry piece.

16. regload

regload Member

What others have said so far I mostly agree with. They didn't mention new Charter Arms snubbies, and that's good. Because their front sights are so off (too high) to hit anything. I had to machine down my .357 Mag Pug just to hit paper at 25 feet. And that is NOT a unique situation.

17. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

What kind of problems have you had with your Taurus revolver?

Wheel guns are very simple with few moving parts. One of their best features is reliability.

18. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

It binds in DA.. I sent it back to get fixed but it still does it so im gona send it back again next time I head to lansing.

19. coonbait

coonbait Member

any S&W or ruger in 357 with a 4" bbl will do, look for police trade in's on the net, they usually can be had for around $350