What to buy?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Wanabe, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Wanabe

Wanabe New Member

I'm a noob. I've had lots of guns over the years but never an AR. I'm seriously (by seriously I mean I'm just waiting on a check)considering my first. I've been looking at stag and cmmg.. Also s& w. I just want to hear opinions from you seasoned professionals. give me some package ideas....you know...gun, scope, accessories... I'm on a budget. My range for just the gun is about $7-800. Thanks in advance.

2. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

Go to Palmetto State Armory and build an AR. you can get a good parts kit for that price range

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

most the stags ive seen have been around 900 and up. i own one, and can say they are some pretty good rifles. but at the upper end of your budget.. at one gunshow last summer i did see one for 800 tho. bottom line stag are good rifles backed by a good warrenty and customer service

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Heres the one I just built it is a PSA lower and a PSA 16" CL carbine upper . I think I have about $550 + freight in this one not including the scope , QR mounts and Troy back up between the scope mounts . however I did buy the stripped lower on sale for $49 instead of the $79 they are selling them at now. They had a 16" carbine when they were in stock for $599 . Your not going to buy a better quality gun for any less than that . I have somewhere around 900+ rds thru my other PSA and I have had ZERO issues and I have run it hard a few times and it eats steel ammo as well . This is my second PSA and they are great for what you pay , There is better, nicer stuff out there but they arent budget guns or what your looking to spend . $599 is pretty hard and still leaves you money for extra mags and ammo . I personally would stay away from the bushmaster carbon 15 , its not a quality rifle and will create headaches for you from the many things I have read and heard about on here

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Id go wid a psa hamma time lw 16" middie.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Hamma Time LW FTW. Hammer Forged for an extra $50 is a good deal, 16" is a good all around length, and of course a midlength gas system is ideal IMO.

7. Wanabe

Wanabe New Member

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2SA1-1.html

This is what I'm after..well under $900. Gives me room for some accessories.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I've got some more research to do!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  8. Wanabe

Wanabe New Member

Anyone have any experience with red jacket? They are about $500 over budget but are they worth it?

9. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I would say no, just because they don't offer anything special.

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

To clarify- anything special for what you're paying.

11. Wanabe

Wanabe New Member

Makes sense. I guess it's just the name?

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I wouldn't say it's a name. I don't know a single person that has anything good to say about that place.

13. Wanabe

Wanabe New Member

So after doing some research and soul searching I've learned that it's probably better in the long run (money wise) to build rather than buy. I'm sure if I buy a complete gun I'm going to end up swapping out parts anywayso I might as well build it with the parts I want.
    Now, that being said...heres the problem....

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO ORDER! LOL.
    Is there a shopping list someone can provide with everything I need? Obviously this is my first build. Thanks in advance!

14. lunarmanathome

lunarmanathome New Member

Red Jacket is hype - spend that dollar difference on components to upgrade (trigger, optics)

15. Wanabe

Wanabe New Member

thats what I want to do but I have no idea where to start.

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

First things first.

1) check out your local and state laws about gun ownership and registration.

2) buy a stripped lower from you local gunstore.

3) visit palmetto state armory and get a rifle kit, make sure it has all the thing you need to be legal in your locale.

4) make sure you have a rear sight, some extra mags, lotsa ammo, a cleaning kit/supplies.

5) build it.

6) take lots of picture after your build and as your shooting it. We needs our pron. :D

7) shoot it.

8) shoot it n lube it.

9) shoot it.

10) consider modifications at this time.....and buy some more ammo.

If you can wait a bit, I'm working on a little document with very basic information for the first time buyer, should be done in a couple days. Kep ur eyes peeled.

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Great outline for the new builder, Tikki, nice timeline for someone new to all this. There definitely is a sequence of events that should be followed. I like that you put mods at the very end, so many new guys don't even shoot their rifle and figure out what works/doesn't work before making changes. Looking forward to your document!

18. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

My choice would be the CMMG if you can't get a Colt 6920.

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?81462-So-you-want-to-buy-an-AR-15-huh

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  19. Wanabe

Wanabe New Member

Love it. Thanks man. And to everyone who responded.

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member