what tier is Armalite categorized in?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Armed-Citizen, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

Would it be a top tier maker?

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I personally think Armalites are great and I'm not into all the brand snobbery that determines whether a particular brand is Tier 1 or not, but generally the Tier 1 AR's are all mil-spec materials and testing with a chrome-lined 1:7 twist barrel. Anything less and you fall to the lower Tiers.

There was a time when Armalite was the "A" in the ABC's of AR-15 Tier 1 ownership, but not so much anymore. Noveske, Daniel Defense, Larue & LMT's are some of the brands that occupy Tier 1 status these days.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Don't get mislead by those that confuse the desire for quality w/ snobbery.

I don't really have an opinion on Armalite per say but most of what I have heard is middle of the road.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I do have an ArmaLite and agree with the above. It's clearly a midrange offering so I'd say it's Tier Two. Not bad but you can do better for the money. I'm hanging on to mine since it's my first build and a flexible, reliable rifle but muzzle heavy.

I also like the old school name and rollmark. If that's why you're considering it you can do like Snake and I did and buy a stripped lower then put a better upper on that.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Bushmaster which used to be the "B" in ABC has fallen by the wayside too. These days you need to think BCD for Tier One: BCM, Colt and Daniel Defense. And of course a few others including Noveske and LMT.

6. NickySantoro

NickySantoro New Member

OP,
    I had an Armalite M15 and it was as good or better than any Colt or other quality rifle I have ever seen or used.

7. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Okay, I just jumped into the AR boat but where do LWRC fall in this group? I know they are fairly new but from what I read and we know how that goes they are almost a bench mark on quality. I may be kind of fan boyish and I would hate to think I spent all this dough on a shiny new turd.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

LWRC has been around for a while. But they've gone through a change of ownership a few times over the past few years. So it remains to be seen if the new owners will treat their customers right. They do build a nice rifle.

I would not recommend a piston rifle your first time out tho. Get yourself a nice DI girl, then start a family.........

Honestly if you were gonna drop that kind of coin on an AR get a LaRue, Noveske, or Knights....

9. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Why

Why do you say that? It is my first, I had borrowed a couple from uncle sam but had to give them back after a few years.... so what is the issue with piston rifles or rather your issue just so I know what to expect.