What the hell causes jams like this?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by HotFudge, Jan 15, 2014.

1. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

Using a 10/22, 36g CCI Hollowpoints.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll get one of these every 50 or so rounds, it only seems to happen when I use my 25 round mags, I don't think I've ever had one occur when using the 10-round rotary mag.

2. brianhurley707

brianhurley707 New Member

I'd say it has to be an issue with the 25 round mag no doubt. Ruger has great magazines and if that one never has a problem... Who makes your 25 rounder?

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Either a short cycle due to previous round being low on powder, or the magazine. That magazine is fairly well known for having issues. I would spend the Cash for a true ruger 25rnd mag

Sent from my M470BSA using Firearms Talk mobile app

4. brianhurley707

brianhurley707 New Member

Cci is more expensive .22 I have the same rounds and have never had an issue with them in my 10/22.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Magazine

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have several plastic magazines that were given to me because they were no good. I wash the magazines with dish washing liquid and hot water. With premium ammunition none of the magazines fail very often. When plastic magazines are manufactured plastic sawdust and molding release agents are trapped inside the magazine.

Before you wash the magazine push the follower down with your finger or a stiff piece of wire. Push the follower down after you wash the magazine, you can feel it moves easier and smoother.

One of the previous owners of a 32 shot promag magazine watched me wash the magazine. I put it in my 10/22 and emptied it out without a problem. He still didn't want it after watching me empty it out. Some people...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I agree with magazine.
    Next time you are out shooting, put one hand under the magazine like you are inserting the magazine while shooting.

Some .22 lr conversion kits have a warning (mine did) that some magazines may need to be worked on (mine did).

(I won't say the brand name, but the initials are CMMG)

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Most likely this particular mag misfeeds hollowpoints. With the slightest feeding angle deviation the HP slams into the receiver, dislodges from the shellcase, and jams the cycle.

I can't honestly tell if this is a Butler Creek mag, but if so, chances are it's no good. I've seen all kinds of problems with them, from a bad feeding lip to a cracked column.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i will have to say that IMO, the magazine is the culprit. many of the aftermarket magazines for the 10/22's can be problematic.

a friend of mine had a problem with an aftermarket magazine in his 10/22. the problems were feeding issues. when using the factory magazine, the problem disappeared immediately, even using the same ammo.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you are sure the magazine is the issue mail it to me. I will be happy to take it off your hands. It will join the other 10/22 magazines that I own that hang once every 300/400 rounds.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

If the rifle is "clean and Lubed properly!" and functioning more than jamming?

MAGAZINE!

If is doing it a lot try another magazine. Try *YOUR STOCK MAG that came with the rifle. If it still does it you could have CR**P Ammuntion! An example of this is my cousing came down last summer to shoot here at the home range. His 22 would not work with the bulk ammunition he had purchased. I gave him a few on my supply and his gun worked flawlessly. And his problem ammunition worked just fine in my gun so I traded him out ammunition. Both of us were good to go.

Sniper 03

12. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Looks like a Butler Creek mag; however, not sure if it is the steel lips or the plastic version from the angle of picture.

I have a few Butler Creek mags, BX-25 mags, Ruger Rotary mags and only 1 Pro Mag 33 round mag.

The Butler Creek mags with steel lips have not cause an issue at all. Granted, I make sure the rounds are seated in the mags.

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Butler Creek mag that jams if you don't hold it just right while shooting. I also have a real Ruger 25 round mag. It is awesome. No failures of any kind. And it was only about $5 more than the Butler Creek mag.