Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/utah-monolith-art-trnd/index.html

Anyone else see this? At first, I was under the impression that it was quite a bit off any road or trail- far enough off that no person could realistically put it there, but I’ve since learned that it’s less than a mile from an off-road trail- so it is definitely well within the realm of possibility for a person to have put it there. But still, it seems like a lot of work, and still logistically incredibly difficult for someone to have done- especially if it’s just some kind of a joke or art piece. Now, I’m not superstitious or any thing- and I don’t believe that aliens have been visiting Utah- especially not to just put up some random piece of metal- but this just seems like WAY too much effort for a goof.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What do you guys think. Again- not an alien believer, but I can’t imagine someone driving that thing out there and then using some form of a crane to get it out of their truck and stand it up, just for a goof. Especially when the likelihood that someone would find it is pretty low. My understanding is that it has been found on google earth and has been there as early as 2016. It took 4 years for this joke to work, and the people who found it only did so because they were in a helicopter

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Seems like a "crop circles" type thing.

If really heavy, I'd think it's easily placed via a helicopter+winch, even if in an otherwise road-inaccessible spot. Perhaps it's like Banksy ... Utah's very own (Grand Staircase) "Escalante."

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Lots of things happen that I, or you, wouldn't do.

Like water skiing without skis. Or jumping out of a balloon at 100K ft with a "speed suit" and oxygen. Using a helicopter, or whatever, to drop a piece of "art" into a spot most folks wouldn't think of ... okay.

Myself? Believe it or not, I'm doing a bike "build" this year, of all years. Who knew parts would be impossible to come by.

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
You gotta remember Mormons don't believe in drinking or premarital sex so they gotta find something to do out there in the middle of the desert.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
What do you guys think. Again- not an alien believer, but I can’t imagine someone driving that thing out there and then using some form of a crane to get it out of their truck and stand it up, just for a goof. Especially when the likelihood that someone would find it is pretty low. My understanding is that it has been found on google earth and has been there as early as 2016. It took 4 years for this joke to work, and the people who found it only did so because they were in a helicopter
When i was in high school, somebody ringed the 40-ft flagpole at the police station with tires all the way to the top during a shift change. Couldn’t have taken more than about 7-minutes. Or, so the cops said.

Personally I think it took about 45-minutes, at mid shift, and everybody was in such a hurry, coming and going at shift change that they all missed, the fact that the flag pole was now about five times as thick and black instead of silver.

Took three weeks to get them removed.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
You gotta remember Mormons don't believe in drinking or premarital sex so they gotta find something to do out there in the middle of the desert.
Once had a Bishop tell me that I shouldn’t marry a girl unless she was pregnant. Children were really important, and you wouldn’t want to marry one, and find out you couldn’t have kids.

·
Premium Member
14,818 Posts
When i was in high school, somebody ringed the 40-ft flagpole at the police station with tires all the way to the top during a shift change. Couldn’t have taken more than about 7-minutes.

Took three weeks to get them removed.
Nuts. Just cut them off.

Reactions: Rifling82

·
Administrator
34,282 Posts
That looks like the monolith in 2001: A Space Oddessy.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts