What state would be best for us?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by beastmode986, Aug 7, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

So after talking to my dad about moving he said hes really busy and wants me to do a little research on the following. He wants to move to a state that
    -Alot of sunshine/nice weather year round(Kentucky, georiga,Tennessee etc. still qualify)
    -lowest crime
    -Cheapest land
    -best fishing
    -low taxes
    -lowest real estate
    -gun friendly
    Mainly he wants to move to a small town or have a house 20+ miles from the nearest store/town and 60+ acres.
    My dad is finally getting tired of ****cago and either wants to move to the southern belt or Arizona/Colorado area.
    So far im thinking, Fort wayne, IN, Denver, CO, Plano/Garland, TX, Scottsdale/Prescott/page,AZ

Where do you guys think we should move?

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Great thread topic...

I'd say the Blue Ridge/Smokey Mountains...(TN, NC area)

In the right spot, it's a little slice of Heaven...but that's just me...:cool:

3. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I would say Texas, naturally, but it is soooooo damn hot in the summer. You can have your pick of topography, its all here. Coastal, Woodland, Rolling Hills, Prarie, Dessert, Mountains. Just never really cold :p

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Texas is a great state to live in. as ComoCarl said, many different types of environments here. great hunting and fishing. best prices for homes and land are rural. if you move to any of the bigger cities in Texas, they are just as expensive as many other states bigger cities.

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

+1 for Texas. :D

There are areas in Texas where land can be bought very cheaply. (Mostly desert, but in some other places too) We have pretty good hunting throughout most of the state too.

6. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I heard the gun laws are strict in Texas or something like that but maybe i misheard. If i get 100+ acres you guys think I could hunt on my land? The only thing I get real worried about are the massive storms and tornadoes in Texas. Cant one tornado tear you whole house apart? Plus I would lose everything I own. Is it true your allowed to drink and drive in texas? responsibly of course.

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Uh I doubt it dude! I love Indiana, I live in southern Indiana near the Ohio river. I wouldn't dream of leaving my home state. Indiana is very pro gun BTW.

8. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Mississippi is easy on gun laws. Very cheap land in most places & yes you can hunt.

The oppressive heat & humidity in the summer can be a draw back as well as some of the misinformed media hate for Mississippi.

9. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Check out Texas corpus christi or San Antonio I move back and forth between the to being that I'm a avid surfer I love it down here and very loose gun laws

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Never been to Texas, but the Lone Star state would be my choice. I kind of like mildly cold winters (I live in Oregon which snows occasionally), so Texas may not perfectly fit me, but I believe I'd fit into Texas like a glove.

11. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

I absolutely love it never gets to cold it's always cool doing the night only complaint in June and July are sooooo hot but other than that I couldn't see leaving this place if you ever have a chance go vist the river walk in San Antonio I spend most of my time there when I'm there

12. tri70

tri70 New Member

Arkansas has some great fishing /hunting all thru the state. Your close to hogs in any direction., hunted all year round. Usually we have mild winters, south of the state hardly any.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Our laws are not strict.

18 to buy a long gun
    21 for pistol (18 through private sale)
    NO permits required
    NO gun registration
    NO assault weapon bans or high capacity magazine bans
    Shall issue for concealed carry licenses
    Castle Doctrine
    NO waiting period
    Loaded handguns can be within reach in your car, but must be concealed.
    Loaded long guns can be within reach in your car, and doesn't have to be concealed
    No open carry though. :(

Yes, you can hunt on your own land if you get the proper tags. Some animals don't require tags though.

Yes, we do have tornadoes. They are more prevalent in certain parts of the state than others. Yes some can tear your house apart, but most are small and will only do some damage if they even get close to your home. I wouldn't let them stop you from moving here. This is a great state.

Finally, big storms happen from time to time depending on where you are in the state. The coast will see hurricanes, but the rest of the state just has regular thunderstorms/rain storms.

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Florida panhandle maybe.

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think Kentucky is a nice state. Lush and green, mild winters, cheap(er) real estate.

My second choice would be Wyoming or Arizona.

16. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

That's my suggestion as well, but it is very hot in the summer.

The flip side to that is we don't have brutal winters.

17. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Northern AZ might be the best fit to your criteria. As nice as Scottsdale is it is also one of the most expensive places to live in AZ. Have you given any thought on Flagstaff AZ (or surrounding areas) - they do have a winter but it is nothing like what you are used to now. I've skied in shorts and a t-shirt in the middle of January there :D

18. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

texas dont sound to bad after all :D The only reason my dad dosen't want to move there is because tornadoes,extremely hot summer,hurricanes.

Arizona sounds great as well ill have to call up my dad and give him the info today.

19. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Any other suggestions?

20. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I hear Alaska has mild summers & a pretty quiet tornado & hurricane seasons. Lots of land so I'm sure it's probably cheap & they have all kinds of wild life. Not sure on the gun laws.