What size punch?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Scratchammo, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

My smoothbore is exactly .750" in caliber & I plan on firing buckshot from it. Which size card wad punch would work? Common sense told me .75" but someone said to go larger.

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Different guns actually have different bores so mic it. Bess', for example, there are two typical different size balls that are used. I'm thinkin' 12 ga. Note the over-the-powder and over-the-shot wads are thick.

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I mic'd it, it's exactly .750".

4. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I have a small cannon that is .75" and I use regular 12 gauge wads.

5. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Are they tight?

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

.005 over is typically good for all patches for black powder.

7. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

"Are they tight? "
    Well they are slightly snug and work fire in the cannon but you might want something a little tighter. This cannon was just drilled out not bored so is most likely slightly over-sized. I never checked it to see as I really didn't care if it was a little over size.

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I found some 11 gauge wads to try, they're for .751" barrels. I'll see how tight they are before I buy a punch.

9. blackdragon

blackdragon New Member

the cards should be around .770. you want it a little bigger to cause friction so it keeps the shot in. I find paper cartridges work better overall. I find that the outer layers on layered cardboard works great, a friend swears by it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012