what size ball

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by micman, Nov 15, 2010.

1. micman

micman New Member

I have just acquired a 58 cal muzzle loader, what weight of ball should I use and what size. I was looking at a .570 with a .015 patch, guy at the store is saying a .560 with a .022 patch, any comments would be greatly appreciated. Also I would like to cast my own bullets what is the best lead for black powder round balls.

Mickey

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Just remember the patch is doubled, and should be a hair larger (patch+ball+patch) than the bore- squeeze fit. You may need to try some combinations to see what your gun likes- and check the maker's instructions.

For a muzzleloader, I use pure, dead soft lead. Scored 150 lbs of dental xray film pouches for 25 cents at a govt auction some years back. Will keep me casting Maxiballs until I am 99. Then I need to get more.

3. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I would go with the .570 with a .015 and drop to a .010 if it's too tight or doesn't perform well. It takes a lot of trial and error to get the right ball, powder charge and patch combo.

4. Catfish

Catfish New Member

You will have to try different combos to find what really shoots best. A ball .010 under bore and a .012 patch is where I would start. Then load thicker and thinner patches and shoot for group. You can then change ball size if you can`t find a combo that groups well.

5. patret

patret New Member

I would use a mini-ball for the 58 caliber. They are rather easy to cast. You could buy a Lee mold from Midway for about $20. There is a method to making wheel weights softer and it is very simple.

patret

6. Hawg

Hawg New Member

If you get into casting the stick on wheel weights are already soft enough. Watch out for zinc ones tho.

7. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

I just aquired 100 pounds of used wheel weights from a local car dealer. What should I look for in these that would make them suitable for casting bullets. The only answers I have been able to find are soft lead. I want to sort them out and make sinkers out of the ones that are not good for bullets. Any clues would help guys...thanks in advance!!!!:D