What size anchors to bolt down a safe?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by enderwig, Dec 3, 2009.

1. enderwig

enderwig New Member

What size anchors does everyone use to bolt their safe to a concrete floor? The anchoring holes in the floor of the safe are 3/8", should I use the largest I can, or are smaller anchors with proper washers ok?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Of course bigger is better, were in TEXAS! Diameter close to the 3/8 holes and 2 1/2 to 3". If you have a heavy firelined safe (mine is over 900 lbs empty) and then fill it with a few hundred #s of guns and gear it will be very difficult to steal anyway. The bolts are just insurance.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

All the guns and ammo in mine is what anchors it to the floor.

4. 1hole

1hole New Member

The size needed is one size larger than the bad guys are willing to take the time and make the effort to break.

I use two 1/2" x 4" bolts into the concrete floor AND four 3/8" x 5" lag screws through the back side, two each going into two wall studs near the top.

Those are MY guns and my whole purpose in buying a safe is to keep them that way.

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Use the largest anchors possible, but don't go too long.

I prefer Redhead brand sleeve anchors.

I used 3/8" x 4" anchors in the basement of my old house. It was built in '51 and apparently my slab was less than 4" thick, cause I came up with dirt on the drill bit.

Now my new house was buillt in 81, so I have more confidence that my slab is of appropriate thickness. My bat-cave is a 9' x 11' room in the front of my garage. 3/8x4" redheads and plenty of concrete below them.

They also back up to a concrete wall and have two 1/4"x2" Tapcons run through the backs of the safes to prevent anyone from rocking them.

My safes are also waterproof to 3 feet, and I chose not to use the washers provided, I used 1.5" fender washers with a rubber washer above and below the metal washer.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The secret is to anchor in two planes.

The use of anchors into the safe's back and into the wall will be a force multiplier of security!

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

5/8" grade 8 lag bolts in the floor and the wall SHOULD do the job-it's what I used in mine and I havn't had any problems.

8. zhuk

zhuk New Member

900lbs, Robo?

That's SERIOUS weight (408kg?? wtf!) We don't have to bolt our safes to the foundations of the dwelling if they are more than 150kg empty (330lbs). With 900lbs bolted...well I think you'd need a bomb of some sort lol

Yep, cane. Legal requirement here is 4 anchor points (usually 2 in back wall, 2 in the baseplate, holes pre-drilled) I live in *cough* 'rented premises' so I can't drill into the floor [carpet]. When it eventually comes time to get my safe, I'm drilling an extra 2x into the SIDE wall, and situating the safe in a corner which should be a challenge to jemmy. So that's 2 anchor points back wall, 2 anchors side wall, none in floor.

I hope to god that's sufficient for the local police...my suburb is a bit dodgy, and they're just as likely to say "Nah!" just to be bastards about it :rolleyes: You can't get a PTA (permit to accquire any firearm) without the local cops okaying your safe storage first.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Now you're talking, bear!! Most anchors are a lower carbon steel, going with grade 8 adds a great amount of strength.

10. calleyc

calleyc New Member

Where can I get a "grade 8" lag bolt.

I have been looking everywhere for some six inch long, (5/8") or (3/4") diameter ("GRADE 8") lag bolt/screw. It must have treads for wood. Can you tell me where you bought yours?

11. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Anything 3/8" or better as long as you bolt it to the floor and the wall, if the floor is wood the drill thru and put a piece of flat bar across the floor joists and use threaded rod with locking nuts and washers.

As an extra I put the bed for the #110 German Sheppard right beside the safe, that is no man's land.

12. eric2003bb

eric2003bb New Member

Make sure its tight against a wall so you cant get a chain around it I used 3/4in bolts that were flat top and put them in from the bottom up so only I could get to the nuts

13. unclesugg

unclesugg New Member

If you have an alarm in your house bug the safe door and the bug the safe to the wall you are thinking about putting it up against. That way it moves or is opened for any reason you don't want it will trigger

14. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

You can use epoxy anchor adhesive and an all thread rod in the floor if you really want to do the job. Much stronger than lead anchors or mush heads.

In the wall, depends on what it's made of. In wood lags. Masonry same as floor.