what silver solder do you buy for muzzle break?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Twpbaseball10, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

I want to attach a muzzle break with silver solder....I do not want to do the blind pin because I dont have the tools at home to do it.. I know I have to buy silver solder and flux and I know the way to go is have the silver solder and flux combo and put that on the barrel threads. The one that brownells sells is very expensive and I was told to go to jewlery supplies stores and thoes products are just as good.
    http://www.contenti.com/products/soldering/420-840.html

this is one item I came across and was wondering if it would work alright.. Thanks for reading hope you guys can help me out a bit

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would recommend bringing it to a gunsmith. It may be cheaper than the cost of a new barrel if you screw it up.

3. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I agree with Mountain Man, barrel plus hi temps can be an issue if not done correctly. Firing an incorrectly attached muzzle break down range...priceless!:eek:

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Mountain ma'am is right-take it to a gunsmith.....like me;) me or any GOOD smith will TIG it on. Silver solder will just break or melt off. It DOES NOT have a high melting point.

5. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

So why do home gunsmiths always turn the gun cherry red when using it?:eek:

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

To melt the sh!t onto the gun because they are to lazy and stupid to use a solder gun. They are stupid because doing that destroys the barrels temper-badly. It also throughs accuracy out the window. Your a smith-youve seen it happen I bet Bear.

7. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Brownells should do a Kinks book for the home Smith with a list of Don't even Think about it jobs!:rolleyes:

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

That would cut into their profits though!!!

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Unless you know exactly what you are doing when heating and tempering steel the job should be left to a professional. Marlin would probably give you a good price.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya depending on if it needs threaded or not it'd only be bout $20.

11. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I find it funny that while someone is calling another stupid he can't even spell simple words lol.

I have a few question as I was thinking about doing it myself.

So what temp do you think the barrel gets while welding on it when doing the blind pin? More or less than what it would get heating it w/ a torch until the silver solder starts flowing?

At what temp does it become bad for the barrel?

How warm do you think a, lets say AR barrel gets while shooting it? More or less than it would get messing w/ silver solder or welding on it?

Lastly what can go wrong while trying to silver solder?

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

OP, it looks like you're talking a compliant gun. I'd skip the solder and get a gunsmith (who knows the law and what he's doing) to do the blind pin.

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Tig welding it on-if he's a GOOD welder-doesnt put NOWHERE near the heat into it the other methods do. As to the AR-ALOT less than the way most idiots put the solder on but more than TIG does. Now tell me this-what did I spell wrong? If its some off the wall word its the auto correct on my App and lack of proof reading. Quentins suggestion is very good.

14. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

15. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I see no problems if the poster wants to do it himself. The ATF has a spec for the solder(hard solder not soft solder). Check the ATF site to find the specs(then you get the facts). The only thing that could "go wrong" would be if it was heated enough to produce scale inside the barrel. If the poster had a proper torch, the right solder/braze, and knows how to prevent scale, then I don't see a problem. It is threaded on so he does not have to worry about alignment problems or falling off. It does sound like he would be better off having it done by a 'smith but it is his choice.

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I don't personally care that you misspelled a word. It's the fact you start in on people yet you don't have your stuff straight. I learned at a young age to not point fingers unless I had my **** straight.

Who's "most idiots" and what experience do you have w/ them regarding this topic? I'm sure the OP could get some use out of knowing.

I agree it would be best to have a professional do it but still be careful. I'd say that probably only 1% of self titled "gunsmiths" are worth the time of day.

To the OP, if you decide to have someone do it send it to ADCO.

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

My **** is straight Mike. Iv been trained as a gunsmith for 6 years by someone who has probably forgotten more about guns than you will ever learn. I am certified by mentorship to build custom gums. I have also been welding since I was 13 and I'm 23 now. The most idiots I mention is folks who think I can do this myself and save money when in reality they can't do it right-just mess up a great gun.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

I worlds trust Marlin to work on my stuff. I talk to him daily outside of this forum and he knows what the hell he's doing .

19. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I find it interesting anytime someone posts in the AR section, Mike is the all knowing. Marlin IS A GOOD COMPETENT SMITH, if you were curious. You jump people fast to, don't side step your words too much. Oh, if my grammar and spelling are not up to your standards, deal. Later.

20. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

And again calling people stupid yet you don't have you **** straight even while telling me you do and continuing to call people stupid. I'm not questioning your ability as a proclaimed gunsmith. I just saw an individual who doesn't have their **** straight calling out others.

Silver soldering a MD is well w/i the DIY realm. I would rather send it off personally to a place like ADCO but it is doable at the home.

Peace out ;)