What sights do you use on your p-series Sigs?

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by nickel1911, May 27, 2013.

1. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Hello all!
    As the title says, I'm wondering what sight systems you all use on your p-series Sigs? Do you stick with the Sig sights, or venture out and try a different sight system? The reason I ask is this... It seems that with my sig sights ( Sig night sights on my p220 carry and Sig combat night sights on my p229 elite) I need to completely cover my target with the front sight post to hit center. With all of my other handguns (non Sigs), hitting center is achieved by lining up the tops of the front and rear sights. Are there sights or sight combinations out there that will change my Sigs' sight picture to what I'm more used to?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Factory installed quick target acquisition sight on my German manufactured P226r. Great for competition and self-defense.

Attached Files:

• 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      19.8 KB
      Views:

3. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

I personally prefer the Sig's sight picture, seems most natural for me. I'm sure you could find out the factory sight's height and look around for a different height to get the sight picture you want. Good luck.

4. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Nice low profile sights! Where's your point of aim on those sights? Do you need to cover the target with your front post or do you use the top of your sights to aim?

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I like the OEM sights too...

Being they are combat sights you usually don't float a target with them. And I like it that way.

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

They are combat sights, so you must cover the target with the front sight. If I hold the front sight at 6 o'clock, I will shoot about 3" lower from my point of aim further down range. I do prefer to cover my targets. My HK USP .40 sights also has to cover the target. They are three dot system though. I have to admit that I barely use back sights unless I am shooting long distance. I only own two handguns at a time, and practice hard with them. Target acquisition becomes second nature at shorter distances.

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Here is the sight picture on my HK

Attached Files:

• 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
  8. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I'm pretty adaptable so it's not too much of a problem to adjust to the sights. I normally only take aim for my first few shots of the day and then instinctively shoot the remainder. But if I could get all of my platforms on the same page when it comes to a general sight picture, that's one less adjustment I'd have to make when it comes to transitioning from one platform to the next. I currently own 1911s, M&Ps, Glocks and now Sigs. All very different platforms with different sight pictures, trigger systems and all around ergonomics. If I can narrow down or eliminate some of those differences and tailor them to fit me, I think I'd be better off in the long run.

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I have the SIGLite sights my P229. Works for me.

10. bbertram

bbertram New Member

I've become attached to the TruGlo TFO sights on my Sigs. Here's a pic of my P-6. My 66 year old eyes LOVE the front sight. :)

Attached Files:

11. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Truglo tfo's are awesome sights! I have a set on my glock 22. They really glow in any amount of light. Where do you have to hold your sights to hit center target? Do cover the target with your front sight post or do you hold at 6 o'clock with the tfo?

12. bbertram

bbertram New Member

On my P239, I cover the center with the front sight and get good results. The P-6 sights hold at 6:00 . Either works just fine at 25 feet, SD distance. Just being able to "instantly " pick up a sight picture is a JOY ! :) The Sig sight offerings seem to be either #6 and #8 sights, or #8 and #8 sights ( front and rear). The 6/8 set will give a lower point of impact than and 8/8 set. My P-6 tended to shoot low with combat sights ( 7/8 set) so when I ordered TruGlo sights for it, I bought the 8/8 set to raise the Point of Impact. I'm more than happy with them. :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  13. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Thanks bbertram! That's good info! I'd like all of my firearms to hold at 6 o'clock if I can help it. As I stated previously, I am more of a instinctual shooter, relying more on muscle memory then the sights, but I do use my sights heavily for the first several shots to ensure my muscle memory is collaborated correctly (if that makes any sense?). If I can get my Sigs to a 6 o'clock hold, that would adjust my Sigs to how I'm normally used to holding. Then I can focus on instincts as opposed to relearning point of aim and point of impact. I own sights from several different manufactures but the TFOs are some of my favorites. I'll definitely be looking into those.

14. bbertram

bbertram New Member

When I had a Glock 36, it was equipped with the XS Big Dot sights, and that BIG DOT on the bullseye was all I needed. A very accurate gun , and easy to shoot instinctively . :) At SD distances , I don't worry too much about Point of Impact. A two inch difference proabably won't save a BG, but at 25 yards and better, THEN a consistent sight picture, pistol to pistol, would be a blessing . :)

15. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I try to train at all distances. I do believe in "aim small, miss small" . Even when I'm instinctively shooting, I'm "aiming" for an exact spot, just without using my sights. I definitely understand (and do not disagree with) your philosophy on SD distances and POI, but I always worry about POI. I'm always striving for accuracy.

16. bbertram

bbertram New Member

I like to sometimes shoot from the hip , and my dream would be blasting 8 ping pong balls with a full mag from my Sig P-6 . Haven't gotten there yet. :)

17. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Hahaha neither have I!! Something to strive for though! :)

18. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Stock Sig sights on my P226 & P239. No issues, fast target acquisition and great accuracy, even weak hand.

But, that's my grip & my eyes. YMMV

Whatever gets you on target best is what is best for YOU.

19. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

My P229r came with SIGLite night sights. Very bright and easy to acquire.

20. dlh2689

dlh2689 New Member

My P238 came with night sights on it already. I wouldn't recommend anything other than those night sights.