What should my first rifle be?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 45JMB, Jan 18, 2013.

1. 45JMB

45JMB New Member

Im looking forward on getting my first rifle. Well not really my first one but yeah something besides a 22 would be great

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Only you can answer that question, decide what you want to do with it and do some research on different actions and models, pick some you like then ask for reviews, there's plenty of insight here for just about any rifle out there but nobody can tell you what is right for you. Welcome to the forum by the way!:cool:

3. 45JMB

45JMB New Member

Thanks and I just want to go hunting would a Remington 700 be ideal? 308

4. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

To many holes ,we need info what ya want to do targets, hunting or both, semi auto, bolt, lever action, single shot. Then we can give u some ideas. But be prepared as we all like different calibers for millions of different reasons.

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

The 700 has always been my favorite bolt action rifle, the 308 is fine if you are looking for a 30 cal shell, what are you going to hunt?

6. 45JMB

45JMB New Member

Well I'm looking for a good quality bolt action rifle synthetic or wood stock maybe in the 1000 dollar range maybe 308 300 win mag

7. 45JMB

45JMB New Member

Some white tailed deer

8. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Ok the 308 an the .300 are worlds apart in the recoil an horsepower departments, with that said your first big caliber rifle should not be a 300 win mag the recoil will ruin you if u have any recoil issues. Its a hard hittin *** kickin round. If you hunting DEER THEY ARE NOT CAPE BUFF YOU DONT NEED BELTED MAGNUMS TO KILL THEM. dead is dead right. Look into a 308, 270, & such middle of the road flat shooting plenty of punch. Also the 25/06 &the 7mm08 are great deer calibers

9. 45JMB

45JMB New Member

So a 300 would be over kill? And no I don't have any recoil issues I've shot rifles and owned one but it's been 11 years since I had my 1938 Italian carcano.

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Look at winchesters model 70, the remmy 700, the marlin x7 those are the top choices in my book, but you also have savage which are great as well. Do not skimp on optics buy once cry once.

11. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

What will you be hunting small game, varmints ,preditors, or big game ? Will you be target shooting ? Will you be hunting in wooded ares where a long shot could be 150 yards or the wide open country where 300 plus yards are more common ? Accurate bolt action rifles can handle all of the various rim and center fire cartridges.

12. clyderay44

clyderay44 New Member

My first whitetail hunting rifle was a 25-06, I got power hungry and stepped up to a 7mm ultra mag. After one season with it I'm back to my 25-06! Not that I didn't like the 7mm but I prefer the smaller caliber for whitetail. Plenty of bullet for deer. Both are M77 markII's btw...

13. 45JMB

45JMB New Member

Yeah the 700 caught my attention it's the .308 right. Would 30-06 be a good round too?

14. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

No way is it overkill, I have a buddy I took this yr on a muledeer hunt his first ever hunt, he used a 243 an it tore the hell out of a shoulder goin in an even worse coming out. Its all about shot placement. Over kill ???? No such thing. I shoot a 300 ultra an a 338 win mag for every thing these days an just love them. But im no novice nearly 40 yrs of huntin.

15. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Yep, I would skip the magnums as well, they aren't necessary for deer and besides that the ammo is quite a bit more expensive. For deer I recommend anything from .243 to 30-06, any of those calibers will do fine on deer. I would recommend the 308 over the 300. 30-06 is a very popular deer gun, that is probably the most popular around here.

16. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

The 30/06 is in my mind the american legend as the do it all caliber. It has for generations defended our countrys service men an put food on the table

17. 45JMB

45JMB New Member

Id also like to go for some bears once in a while. And yeah it's about shot placement not the caliber

18. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I have hunted alot of bear in many states, gun in my hand every time, .338 win did I need it nope but I love the insurance it sends

19. 45JMB

45JMB New Member

But the thing is I live in california now 2nd strictest laws in the states so I'm pretty sure the 338 is out of the question

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Just how do you "Over Kill" anything? I think that is saying my choice of calibers is best. :rolleyes: