Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking forward on getting my first rifle. Well not really my first one but yeah something besides a 22 would be great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
Only you can answer that question, decide what you want to do with it and do some research on different actions and models, pick some you like then ask for reviews, there's plenty of insight here for just about any rifle out there but nobody can tell you what is right for you. Welcome to the forum by the way!:cool:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Im looking forward on getting my first rifle. Well not really my first one but yeah something besides a 22 would be great
To many holes ,we need info what ya want to do targets, hunting or both, semi auto, bolt, lever action, single shot. Then we can give u some ideas. But be prepared as we all like different calibers for millions of different reasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
The 700 has always been my favorite bolt action rifle, the 308 is fine if you are looking for a 30 cal shell, what are you going to hunt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm looking for a good quality bolt action rifle synthetic or wood stock maybe in the 1000 dollar range maybe 308 300 win mag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blucoondawg said:
The 700 has always been my favorite bolt action rifle, the 308 is fine if you are looking for a 30 cal shell, what are you going to hunt?
Some white tailed deer
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Some white tailed deer
Ok the 308 an the .300 are worlds apart in the recoil an horsepower departments, with that said your first big caliber rifle should not be a 300 win mag the recoil will ruin you if u have any recoil issues. Its a hard hittin *** kickin round. If you hunting DEER THEY ARE NOT CAPE BUFF YOU DONT NEED BELTED MAGNUMS TO KILL THEM. dead is dead right. Look into a 308, 270, & such middle of the road flat shooting plenty of punch. Also the 25/06 &the 7mm08 are great deer calibers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Muliemaster said:
Ok the 308 an the .300 are worlds apart in the recoil an horsepower departments, with that said your first big caliber rifle should not be a 300 win mag the recoil will ruin you if u have any recoil issues. Its a hard hittin *** kickin round. If you hunting DEER THEY ARE NOT CAPE BUFF YOU DONT NEED BELTED MAGNUMS TO KILL THEM. dead is dead right. Look into a 308, 270, & such middle of the road flat shooting plenty of punch. Also the 25/06 &the 7mm08 are great deer calibers
So a 300 would be over kill? And no I don't have any recoil issues I've shot rifles and owned one but it's been 11 years since I had my 1938 Italian carcano.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Well I'm looking for a good quality bolt action rifle synthetic or wood stock maybe in the 1000 dollar range maybe 308 300 win mag
Look at winchesters model 70, the remmy 700, the marlin x7 those are the top choices in my book, but you also have savage which are great as well. Do not skimp on optics buy once cry once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
What will you be hunting small game, varmints ,preditors, or big game ? Will you be target shooting ? Will you be hunting in wooded ares where a long shot could be 150 yards or the wide open country where 300 plus yards are more common ? Accurate bolt action rifles can handle all of the various rim and center fire cartridges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
My first whitetail hunting rifle was a 25-06, I got power hungry and stepped up to a 7mm ultra mag. After one season with it I'm back to my 25-06! Not that I didn't like the 7mm but I prefer the smaller caliber for whitetail. Plenty of bullet for deer. Both are M77 markII's btw...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Muliemaster said:
Look at winchesters model 70, the remmy 700, the marlin x7 those are the top choices in my book, but you also have savage which are great as well. Do not skimp on optics buy once cry once.
Yeah the 700 caught my attention it's the .308 right. Would 30-06 be a good round too?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
So a 300 would be over kill? And no I don't have any recoil issues I've shot rifles and owned one but it's been 11 years since I had my 1938 Italian carcano.
No way is it overkill, I have a buddy I took this yr on a muledeer hunt his first ever hunt, he used a 243 an it tore the hell out of a shoulder goin in an even worse coming out. Its all about shot placement. Over kill ???? No such thing. I shoot a 300 ultra an a 338 win mag for every thing these days an just love them. But im no novice nearly 40 yrs of huntin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
Yep, I would skip the magnums as well, they aren't necessary for deer and besides that the ammo is quite a bit more expensive. For deer I recommend anything from .243 to 30-06, any of those calibers will do fine on deer. I would recommend the 308 over the 300. 30-06 is a very popular deer gun, that is probably the most popular around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Muliemaster said:
No way is it overkill, I have a buddy I took this yr on a muledeer hunt his first ever hunt, he used a 243 an it tore the hell out of a shoulder goin in an even worse coming out. Its all about shot placement. Over kill ???? No such thing. I shoot a 300 ultra an a 338 win mag for every thing these days an just love them. But im no novice nearly 40 yrs of huntin.
Id also like to go for some bears once in a while. And yeah it's about shot placement not the caliber
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Muliemaster said:
I have hunted alot of bear in many states, gun in my hand every time, .338 win did I need it nope but I love the insurance it sends
But the thing is I live in california now 2nd strictest laws in the states so I'm pretty sure the 338 is out of the question
 
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Top