What should my first gun be?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by beastmode986, Sep 15, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Ok so, ill be moving in with my dad in 2 weeks and he said he would take me to get my first gun soon after that. So my question is what gun should I get? I was thinking maybe a mosin nagant and a new stock for it, mossberg 100atr ,ruger 10/22 with a dragunov stock,s&w m&p 15-22, or an sks what do you guys think?

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

If this is to personal just pm me.
    Isn't your dad a felon?
    If so he cant be anywhere near a gun.

If i am wrong, yes it does happen :eek:

Then me personally and probably everyone after me, will suggest a 22.

Now a s&w 15-22 is great if you have the money for it. Personally i will always recommend the ruger 10/22.
    Good accuracy out of the box, great semi auto for the price, and you can make it look like anything you want with all the after market stuff.
    If you want more oomph, then a rossi single shot 243 would be a good place to start. Inexpensive ammo, little recoil, powerful enough to hunt deer, and i personally love the hell out of the round itself :D.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I believe it is his step Dad that is a felon. His Dad just has the disadvantage of living in the city of Chicago. ROFL.

4. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

My step dad is a felon not my real dad.

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Yep, just like Butters says, [prepares to die] start with a .22. You have a much better chance of shooting the larger calibers well if you get your mechanics down first. A .22 will let you concentrate on form and muscle memory without the distraction of anticipated recoil...

But...if you have the means (financially and legally), the M91/30 comes highly recommended...:cool:

If and when you move to a handgun, I'd start with a revolver first. Shooting a wheelgun in DA and getting proficient at it is a HUGE advantage when you step into a semi-auto...

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

My bad man.
    Still. 22 then a 22 then a 22 :D
    And then a 22 MAGNUM OH YEEEAAAAHHHH!! :p

7. hareebrownbeest

hareebrownbeest New Member

Ruger 10/22. Period! Tons of mods you can do to it, easy to work on, I was shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with my sons last weekend. He does have a nice scope on it and that's all. It flawless, fun and cheap:)

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a .22 and a lot of ammo. It is a great way to learn to shoot without flinching or killing your pocketbook. The skills you learn cheaply will apply to centerfire rifles when it is time to move up.

9. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Why a .22lr over a mosin nagant? Besides the fact there's less recoil and ammo's cheaper.
    Also why do you guys suggest a 10/22 over an m&p 15-22? I was considering the s&w because when I shot an ar-15 I liked it so much and decided I could get a .22 that looks like it than in about a year I would be familiar with the platform and buy one later.

10. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

If you prefer the m&p 15-22 than by all means get it.

The mosin has recoil on par with that of a 30-06. By starting with such a powerful round you may develop a "flinch" or slight jerk in your shoulder every time you pull the trigger. This flinch ruins your accuracy and is a hard habit to break.

And ammo is ALWAYS a factor.
    You can get 400 7.62x54 rounds for 80$ ish.
    You can get 400 22lr rounds for 20 bucks.

11. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

He is 14 and has been shooting only a few times.
    He is legitimately curious.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2012
  12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the 22 will have much less recoil than the Mosin Nagant! that round in a rifle with a metal buttplate is going to kick something fierce. the Mosin would be a good place to advance to in the future due to it's cost and the cost of the ammo, but not the best choice for a first rifle for a beginning shooter to learn with. the recoil can cause bad habits that will hard to overcome later on, so the 22 is the much better option.

the 10/22 is priced much better and is probably much more suited for learning to shoot accurately. i would even suggest a bolt action 22 over the 10/22, to learn the fundamentals of rifle shooting. the AR style is really more about just shooting fun, so i wouldn't totally rule it out either, but a bolt action would be better to learn the basics with.

13. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

@ineverftf, thanks.

Good to know. I can see how that kind of habit would mess me up so I think ill get a .22lr just not sure on which one to get. i hear great things about all of em, the m&p,the gsg 522,ruger 10/22,etc.
    What kind of bolt .22 would be good?

14. hareebrownbeest

hareebrownbeest New Member

I know man I'm just hoping for you to go with the 10/22. My bad sorry dude, I'm a little liquored up on some of my homebrew ha ha! I would honestly say go with the .22 so much you can do with it. Unless your an experienced shooter...get something else. I was just thinking of the fun factor.

15. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

The fact that you ask intelligent questions at 14 is phenomenal on your part.
    Everyones suggestions have been great, im sure you will get more good replies when people drift around.

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A 10/22 is a good rifle because it is simple to work on, parts exist all over the place for it, and you can take it in many directions as you grow in shooting experience.

The 15-22 is a good gun if you are really interested in an AR down the road. It can indeed get you more familiar with the sights, layout of controls and feel of an AR. But if you wanted a gun that is more streamlined for carrying to pick off squirrels or rabbits the 10/22 may still be a bit handier.

One of my favorite 10/22s was one that I bought and then tried to see what I could do with just the stock parts to make it more accurate. It became a fun project that didn't really cost me much in parts, and I got really familiar with the workings of the 10/22. There is a sub forum over at rimfire central called "superstock" that has a lot of good tips on wringing the most accuracy out of a 10/22 with just the stock parts if you decided to go that direction.

Mosins are good inexpensive guns that would be good for you to explore later on. The recoil could really turn you off after a box or two (20-40 rounds). While most folks could shoot a .22 for hours and go through several hundred to a thousand rounds in a day. That kind of volume in shooting does more to improve your skills rapidly. And you would not be likely to do that kind of volume with the Mosin ( I sure don't). It is a good piece of history and you may want to pik one up in the near future, but I bet you get a lot more use out of the .22. I mean I'm 42 and started shooting around age 10 and I still use more .22 ammo than any other caliber.

Best of luck to you

17. hmh

hmh New Member

10/22 at your age you can upgrade/customize it $10-$30 at a time. Google 10/22 and pick your flavor.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Marlin, Savage and Mossberg all make some very affordable and very accurate bolt action 22 rifles. my first rifle was a Marlin Glenfield bolt action that my father made me learn using the open sights on it, before he would mount the scope on it. scopes were crude way back then for 22' rifles, and after he mounted the scope, and after shooting it that way for a short while, i ended up having him remove it. i shot much better with the open sights. but scopes are much better now and there are more choices available also.

19. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

no problem man.