what should my bug out handgun be???

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by tankwilson, Jun 15, 2013.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Hey guys time to buy another gun. Im kinda thinking a ultimate survival gun.....what I mean is what semi auto handgun would u grab and go in a bug out situation?

Heres my requirements....
    -Large capacity stock magazine 15 rounds or more.
    -9mm.
    -Simple..no weird trigger safetys.
    -Preferre a external hammer but not a requirement.
    -Rail for light/laser

Which one should I buy?

2. KingGlamis

KingGlamis New Member

The Beretta PX4 Storm fits the bill and comes in three different sizes. Magazine holds 16 rounds, external hammer, great gun.

3. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Thats easy...Ruger P95, Meets all your requirements, you forgot to add reliable, its that too.........:).

Attached Files:

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Sig P226r. Everything you need and no safety at all. Comes with a decocker. SA/DA. Picatinny rail. two 15 round magazines, but can buy larger capacity. Seals like them....

Attached Files:

5. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Im sure the PX4 is a fine gun, i just cant get past how fugly it is. It looks like something that would be in the glove box of the BATMOBILE.....

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Even though you said no weird trigger safety, I gotta mention the XDm. Super reliable, and holds 19+1 in 9mm

7. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

I have a browning bdm practical that comes close to fitting the bill. Wish I could mount a rail to it.

Anyway to make a rail system and attach it?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  8. mahall

mahall New Member

Ruger p95 great weapon!! 15+1!! Shoots like a dream!! Plus It won't break your bank!! I've seen them as cheap as 319!!

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I've got a SIG P229r for this purpose. It's just the right size for my medium sized hands and it operates flawlessly.

10. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Just my opinion, but I really don't see how a 9mm is the ultimate survival gun, expecially an automatic. I guess it depends on how you define "survival", but both the caliber and the type of gun have too many limitiations imo for consideration of a good "survival" weapon.

11. tankwilson

tankwilson New Member

Ok. Im up for suggestions. What would be yours then?

12. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Well, to be sure we're not talking apples and oranges, what in your mind consititutes a "survival" handgun? To me, it's what would be the most all around useful handgun in a SHTF situation, one that is flexible enough in it's characteristics to meet the widest variety of situations, be it self defense, hunting, or any other necessary use. What is the bug out situation? Long term, or temporary?

13. mahall

mahall New Member

No perfect handgun for every situation! 9mm high capacity would work in most situations! If had to survive in the wild I would probably take a smith 44mag 629 mountain gun long barrel!! Need some accurate distance power to hunt with!! Plus it would kill anything from a grizzly down that tried to eat me!! But for general demotic SD 9mm high capacity would work unless your going to start a war!

14. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Well, are we talking self defense, or are we talking survival? Two completely different animals.

15. Nch22000

Nch22000 New Member

I have a sig P229 I love it. My dad has a sp2022. Neither one has ever had a problem, 15+1, both have rails.

16. readygirl

readygirl New Member

One big advantage the 9mm has in a SHTF/BO situation, is the availability of ammo. Its everywhere, and lots of it. .22lr, and 357mag/38 would also be common. Doesn't matter how versatile your 41mag is, if you cant find ammo..

17. mahall

mahall New Member

Yes it is ok ill split the difference 357mag Smith 327 8 round capacity 5 inch barrel!! Gives me plenty of SD power! And it would serve me well in the wild!! I just think the 357 round is the most Versatel round made!!

18. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

If I had to go buy one as my only gun it would be the S&W 686 Plus L-Frame 6" 7-Shot .357 Mag or something basically similar in 5", availability permitting. I'd have to presume any ammo I need I have or the components to load.

Barring that, to fit the OP outline?
    Yeah, a CZ-75 CTS LS -- it is a factory 5.4" (vs. 4.6") longslide version of the CZ-75 (that I might prefer in .40 S&W, again, if I presume that whatever ammo I will ever have, I have).
    A Browning Hi-Power or the newer one.
    A Sig P-226.

Attached Files:

19. mahall

mahall New Member

Not a night goes by I don't lay my head down without my little Sp101 357 mag within arms reach!! I have always trusted the gun with my life!! Smiths are very good as well!!