What should I look for in a survival knife?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by TheDreadnought, Aug 12, 2019.

1. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

People always like pics so I figured I would post a couple of pics of my knives over the years. I am no collector but did realize I still had these knives until I started looking around for them. I have a couple from RAT cutlery but cannot seem to find them. The wife is out doing errands so I may just see if I can rustle them up for a photo kinfe1.jpg knife2.jpg

2. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

Regardless of what I might plan, this trio is probably going to be what I end up having at my disposal 99.9% of the time.
    knife3.jpg

3. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

The OP asked for a SURVIVAL knife for a SHTF scenario. That’s not a normal walk in the woods or a camping/hunting weekend. But it’s all good.

4. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

Are you suggesting that a person who elects to survive primitively for a few days is somehow using their cutting tools differently that someone who may find themselves forced into a similar circumstance due to a crisis. If this is a ZOMBIE thread, I do not participate in those.

The same ferro rod that started your camp fire can be the same ferro rod that starts a fire during SHTF. Its all relative, it sure aint rocket science.

To the OP.. If you are on a budget, I would suggest you get a glock field knife and nice benchmade or spyderco folder and call it day. If you have some extra cash for a hatchet, get a german helko hatchet, that are a wonder of the world(for the money).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  5. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont find the wooden handle bucks to have a very good grip either, but I still like them.

I've been using a MoraKniv recently, they come pretty damn sharp out of the box and only cost about $15, I have a love hate relationship with their sheaths but I feel that about a lot of knives. I've broken four buck 110 sheaths, one 119 and one 120 general. I've been carrying a buck 110 slim for the last two weeks or so, I like it a lot. 20191117_083723.jpeg

TelstaR likes this.