What should I look for in a semi-auto

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Stuflames, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Stuflames

Stuflames New Member

home defense shotgun?

Models?

Price is a consideration. At this point, a large consideration.
    So, prices?

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I was looking for a semi-auto 12 ga. a couple years ago and faced the same dilemma. Without knowing what your budget is I can only give you some suggestions on what I based my purchase on.

I already had four pump guns and two o/u's, so if I got another shotgun it had to be "different" to get through the wife screening process, besides, I had never had an auto-loading shotgun.

I initially wanted the Mossberg 590 with ghost rings and speedfeed stock. The problem was that they were scarce as bill readers in congress. I looked at Remington's 11-87, and came across a Stoeger at a gun show and got the dealer talked down on price. I didn't know much about the Stoeger, but was told that it was a Benelli design gas system that was very popular and reliable.
    I bought the Stoeger and have put over $100 in a side saddle, sling and extension tube, which I could only find from a machinist in Texas who builds them from aircraft aluminum billet. You can find Winchesters, Remmies, and Mossies for less than I ultimately had in my Stoeger. I took defensive shotgun class and it behaved really nice, when shooting slugs from 40 yards I had the holes touching on the target.
    Do some research on any of these guns and you won't go wrong. Here is a way to search Davidson's pricing.
    www.galleryofguns.com - Our retailers all over the country will offer you the best price for all the top brand guns

3. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

My only advice on getting an Auto for HD is DON'T.

Semi Auto shotguns are great, don't get me wrong. The fact is I would not have one in two VERY important circumstances.
    1. In an Duck blind or boat
    2. Home defense.

Simple reason is that they, and I lump ALL semi Autos in this group, anr nicknamed Awfulmatics.

For the very reasons that most police cars in this country carry Remington 870's is easy of use and reliability. An Auto is GOING to jam at some point in it's life.

Besides, the scariest sound in the world is the sound of an 870 cycling a shell into battery in the dark. I know many police officers who have subdued an bad guy simply by racking the slide on their 870's.

Why take a chance on a jamb when you need it.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

5. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I do not mean to be a jerk and offend anybody, but....WHAT ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH IS THAT PIECE OF CRAP?!?!?!?!

I would not let that THING anywhere near my house, or duck blind.

BUY AMERICAN, Remington 870 preferably, but NOT THAT CRAP.

Sorry to offend.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

None taken, the Saiga12 is based on the AK design. If I had to have a gas-run shotty, I would probably go for it, but i prefer the pump action.

I will say, that it would look more at home in the HD role than for bird hunting. :)

7. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Going along that line of thinking, no police officer in the nation would have a Glock, Beretta, Kimber, etc. service pistol. How about the weapons used by the armed forces? Not only auto-loading, but full auto. Modern designs properly maintained are reliable. A revolver has just as much chance of not going off with a mis-fire or squib round as my semi-auto shotgun has. I click the safety off and it goes BOOM, if another shot is needed and it fails to fire, I cycle it and try again, but this is not very likely.

8. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

This is me talking, I would go with the Remington 870 and/or Mossberg 500/590 series.

I just purchased a Remington 870 for $329.

They have all know to a degree that there will be no Russian, East Bloc or Chinese weaponary is allowed in my household. I do look, touch, talk and dream; however, the line is in the sand of no purchase. It is either American or Western European!

9. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

You guy's putting down the Saiga 12 Ga remind me of all the people who never saw a Hi-Point saying that they all suck. I won't be offended by the ignorance of someone who has never see a semi-auto 12 gauge that works as effortlessly as any well-tuned AK-47. Probably scare the runs right out of you.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  10. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I have seen both of them work and i use the term loosely. The highpoint is a crap gun, made out of crap materials. poor tolerances, poor engineering and in my honest opinion, unsafe except when used as a door stop. The Saiga works better than the High point. Because it can be more easily used as a club.

11. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

I happen to know one member on this site that has a Siaga (with a little shorter than usual barrel). The slugs he was throwing down range looked like baseballs shot out of a canon hitting the muddy backstop. Those that were there know what I’m talking about. For HD, I’d personally be all over one of these.
    But suggesting one for bird hunting – eh, not so much – you know; those pesky federal regulations about magazine capacity and all.

As for completely disregarding semi-autos due to functionality concerns? I work with a guy that is a Class AA sporting clays shooter that shoots tens of THOUSANDS of rounds a year. Care to guess what he shoots?

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

IMHO that attitude is what kept the German Military armed with bolt action rifles through WW II. Good for us, bad for the Wermacht.

Semi-auto shotguns WERE problematic 30 years ago. Modern designs are very reliable. The old 1100 Remington had issues that have been cured with the 11-87. The Winchester 1400 had issues that are not present in the newer Super X-1's. The Benelli's are very reliable with the high brass ammo.

The military uses both pump and semi-auto shotguns. If I was going to be dragging it through the sand or mud I would prefer the pump gun. I prefer not to drag my firearms through either media. I keep my guns clean and well maintained.

The 20th century has come and gone. We are well into the 21st. I find nothing wrong with a quality auto loader. Pumps jam, too.

As far as the sound of a pump shotgun rackingbeing intimidating? Trust me, this is not very true anymore. The criminals of today, do not seem to value their own lives as much as they did 25 years ago. They do not care about dying. It seems like many today think you are not cool if you have not been shot by the police.

13. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Once again, Semis are great guns, I have a couple too. And I too know sporting clay and trap and skeet shooters who use the religiously. But i chalange you to show me one of them that does not break it almost all the way down after each shoot.

If it comes to HD and the protection of my family, I personally would NOT trust one, despite the range record. Standing at the 18 yard line in a good solid firm leaning forward stance is great for cycling an auto with target loads and results in a VERY high number of rounds without a stove pipe or misfeed.

Standing in the dark shooting at shadows or around corners with an auto is a recipe for stovepiping.

Like I have also said in and earlier post, just the SOUND of an 870 cycling, personally witnessed by the way, can defuse a situation with out having to resort to throwing lead baseballs through your walls and into your neighbors bedroom in the middle of the night.

14. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I would go with a pump shotgun for HD. The answer is really simple. The HD gun is probably the most neglected in any homeowners arsenal. They live there lives in the corner of the closet, slid under the bed or standing in the corner of the room. You don't think about them until you absolutely need them and pump guns just work regardless of the neglect.

That's why my Winchester 1200 is in the corner of the closet and my Smith & Wesson 1000 lives its life in the gun safe.

15. Stuflames

Stuflames New Member

Hmm, thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm waiting a while to get my shottie anyway, but at least I'll know what to look for. I'll review this thread in a while, so any other suggestions and thoughts continue to be very welcome!

16. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

I went semi auto, Rem. 11-87, for a couple reasons.

One, the semi absorbs recoil, while the pump doesn't. And, if my wife hates it because of the recoil, she'll likely never shoot it again and not know how to use it if the NEED arises.

Two, I can switch barrels and take it to the clay/trap/skeet range, and not have it sit in the corner for the next 20 years(hopefully never needed).

I put no stock in the sound of a pump intimidating someone in my home. The last thing I want them to know is I'm awake, armed, and "over there" where the noise is. I'm not arming myself to scare anyone, it's to protect my family, period. If they're in my home, they are there to do harm to my family.

A misfire can be cleared just as effectively with either, or both can jam beyond quick remedy. (not my law, Murphy's)

I don't think either one is better than the other. The semi just works for me and my needs/wants.

17. Greebo

Greebo New Member

LOL I'll prob take flack for this since it's not a well like gun but personally I think it is a good gun, esp for a home defense item - I have the pardner pump compact - it's NEF's rip off of the Rem 870, I picked it up a while back for less then $200 and it has taken anything and everything I've put through it 00, #4 and slug so far all without issue and I've put quite a number of boxes of ammo through it....not a lot of finesse to it but as a home defense it has plenty of brute force and is very reliable and IMO not badly put together at all for a cheap gun.

18. AARguy

AARguy New Member

Home Defense

I'm just an old retired Army guy. I know that young Soldiers in Iraq I met up with liked Mossberg, especially the semi-auto 930 SPX. I've had mine for two years and never had a single failure, firing everything from buck to slugs (rifled, unrifled and sabot) to game loads and even duplex (I load 1x3 for HD). I agree with the post from SeanCucf about chambering a round, but in any case, chambering the FIRST round in a semi-auto sounds the same as a pump. I do have a Mossberg 500 pump also, which I keep in a cruiser configuration, but my primary is the 930 SPX. I highly recommend it.

19. jdtphoto

jdtphoto New Member

Winchester Defender that is what I use . I switch between slug and 00 buckshot.

This is a pump and makes that unforgettable sound when you load it. Somt times that alone is enough to scare them away.

20. 1928A1

1928A1 New Member

What to look for?

I'd avoid any shotgun with an alloy reciever.
    I'd look for a short barreled 8 guage with a 2 foot bayonet.