What should I look for in a Mosin-Nagat

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by GREGULON, Mar 18, 2012.

1. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

I am working on the next step of my SHTF home offense/ defense kit and the budget likes the long range option of a Mosin, but what are the things to look for in this rifle. Thanks.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Greg- there are obviously the 91/30 rifle, and the M38 or M44 carbines.

They will either be unrestored, or more commonly, have been thru an arsenal rebuild. The rebuilds were tech inspected, rebuilt as needed and will be in very good mechanical condition.

Since these were all used, and shot corrosive primed ammo, look for a good, unrusted, unpitted bore. Cleaning rod wear damaged the rifling at the muzzle of many, and they may have been counter bored (muzzle bored out for an inch to get rid of bad rifling) Those still shoot well.

If rifle has NOT been thru a rebuild, check wear at muzzle (insert cartridge gently into muzzle, should NOT go it to where brass touches muzzle)

The hexagon receivers are older than the round receivers, some folks feel stronger. Be sure rifle is complete. Get the combination tool- used to check firing pin protrusion (it adjusts)

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

c3 nailed it as usual. Some people prefer the counter bored barrels because it can increase accuracy (compared to rifles with beat up bores) Try to find one made before 1941. The finish tends to be of better quality, but they all function about the same. Tula made rifles tend to be more collectible too (for soviet rifles). (not sure why. They have several different logos, but the most common is an arrow in a star.)

This site is basically a Mosin Nagant encyclopedia.
    http://7.62x54r.net/

Here is their guide to proofs, and markings.
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks.htm

Finnish Mosins are also collectible. Keep an eye out for them. ;) (they are also a little pricier)

Classic arms (http://www.classicfirearms.co/) have some really nice Mosin Nagant 91/30s (round receiver) for sale for about $90. They come with the bayonet, pouches, and the tools. They also have some hex receiver 91/30s and some Chinese Type 53 Nagants too. I just bought a round receiver 91/30 from them, and it was really nice. I didn't pay for the hand select, so they are all either really nice, or I just got lucky. :D

c3, how was Commiefornia? :p

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

How about accessories, and even rails. Scope mounts
    , bipods?

5. vincent

vincent New Member

It should come with a sling, bayonet, ammo pouches, cleaning kit, multi tool and an oil/grease can.

A lot of folks customize on their own, scope, bipod, stuff like that can be had easily enough but for the most part, most people just use it as is. They do make a rail that attaches to the rear sight so you don't need to tap and drill holes for a scope...I just left mine as is, it's a lot more accurate that I am...:cool:

Here is a link from one of FTF's vendors...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/russian-mosin-nagant-1891-30-round-receiver-rifle-60373/

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cali was dry, dusty, windy, snakey.

Accesories- bayonet, dog collars, sling, cleaning rod tools, mult-tool, double sided can for oil/ solvent, ammo pouches. Picatinny rail? Not really. Not in the usual sense of the term. There ARE military scope mounts available. About the price of a rifle.

7. texaswoodworker

Sounded fun. :D

Are dog collars those things at the ends of the sling?

8. vincent

vincent New Member

Yessir...RE- Tula...I read somewhere the only reason the Tula's were more coveted than the Izveh...can't spell that damn word...is because the stamp was just better looking, not sure how true that is but that's what I found...

9. texaswoodworker

That's believable. I think the star an arrow looks pretty cool. :D

TULA

[​IMG]

IZHEVSK (Dragoon rifle stamp)

[​IMG]

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Please, let it die. Arf.com would love you.

11. assain618

assain618 New Member

there was less Tula rifles made threfore they are more collectable. :)

12. unclebear

unclebear New Member

If you go to buy one take a pen light or some type of light, look at the crown, the rifling, and the bore, what ever you do make sure you give a bath (look up how to clean off cosmoline). I got a rifle from a guy and it had sticky bolt problems I cleaned the bore out with some serious cleaner and didn't have the problem what happened is he just tried to whip out the cosmoline and he didn't get all of it so when he fired what was left of it baked onto the metal. You want to make sure the rifling looks clean and pretty like sharp lines (non are going to be perfect but you can tell the difference).

13. texaswoodworker

Here's how I cleaned mine. (Make sure to watch the videos I posted, they WILL help you a LOT)

1. Take gun apart (completely apart. There are videos on youtube about how to take it apart, and how to put it back together. )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBO8NCWiks4[/ame]

2. Boil water (a lot of water. I kept two pots boiling at all times)

3. Pour water into a pan (make sure it is one you will never cook with again. I used a sturdy foil pan that was about 3" deep (I think it was about 12"x24"))

4. Soak parts in water for about 5-20 minutes (until all the cosmoline has melted off and floated to the top. DON'T let it cool off or the cosmoline will settle back on the parts)

5. Remove parts from water (it is HOT, try not to use your hands).

6. Rinse parts off with hot water (it doesn't have to be boiling hot, but it should be hot enough that it can melt cosmoline) (this removes any cosmoline that was picked up then removing the parts from the water) (also, you can use dish soap just to make sure you get everything off, but I don't know if that is necessary when doing it this way. Just make sure to rinse all of it off if you do use it.)

7. Dry parts off and check for any remaining cosmoline.

8. Repeat as needed. (it is a good idea to replace the boiling water between batches of parts)

9. Oil ALL of the parts.

10. Run a cleaning rod through your bore to clean it. There will be a lot of black residue/crud if your mosin was anything like mine.

11. Put it back together and enjoy. (make sure the bolt is assembled correctly. Here is a video on how to make sure everything is adjusted properly.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzbpkvYA-iY[/ame]

If there is any cosmoline on the ammo pouches, or the sling. How water will also clean them. Just lay them out to dry.

Hope this helps. Have fun, Mosins are cool guns. :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  14. Zodiac131911

Zodiac131911 New Member

Is $100 dollars a good buy on a tikka finland m91

15. texaswoodworker

Yes. Most Mosins cost about $100, and the Finns made some pretty good ones. (Finns usually cost more than that, sometimes a lot more than that, so it is a good deal)

I'd go for it. What kind of condition is it in?

16. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Thread bookmarked, that's some great info texaswoodworker!

17. Zodiac131911

Zodiac131911 New Member

Its in good condition its missing the rod that goes under the barrel is the only real issue. Its a 1943

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The you can find a post-war M44 carbine in great shape.

I got 1 lightly used, and 1 unfired. Expect to pay

@250+, now that the word's out, but they've got

matching serials, and clean bores.

19. Zodiac131911

Zodiac131911 New Member

I finally got to shoot it yesterday it is amazingly accurate. I'm highly impressed for a hundred dollar rifle.