What should I get?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by beastmode986, Jun 5, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I will be going to moss pawn with my dad either Friday or Saturday in Georgia and my dads letting me pick out a shotgun, they have an 8 shot maverick 88 in stock for 239 i believe he said and a 590a1 for 629$(Very unlikely my dad will pay that much though.) My question is what shotgun do you think I should get for under 400$? The less I spend on the gun the more ammo I can get. 400 max on the gun and I can only get like 30-50$ worth of ammo. What loads do you guys think I should get? I want a good ''end of the world'' shotgun, so something durable and reliable and preferably user serviceable.

P.S. They dont have any mossberg 500's in stock besides one with a big muzzle break and another with a pistol grip.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'd still hold out for a Mossberg 500 or 590. Maybe the one with the muzzle brake if it is removable. Or one with a pistol grip and then buy a buttstock for it. The Mavericks are not bad.

Any Remington 870s? An old Wingmaster or Police model would be preferable. But even with all the complaining I hear from people about current Remington 870's I haven't had any problems with mine, and none of my friends have had problems with theirs.

3. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

The on with the muzzle break has a huge muzzle break that looks like it should be on a 50bmg and has a pistol grip so I'd rather get the one with the pistol grip only, how common is it for the extractor to break on an 870

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Maybe it isn't in the cards, but

how about a used 870?

BTW, 600 $ for a used 590?

Waa-aay too much. Probably one

of those wrist cracking pistol grips

everybody thinks is so tacticool. The

Mossbergs kick like a Yak throwing a tantrum,

just so you know. Offer 375$ for the 590,

you really want an Ithaca or Rem pump

anyway.

Think of them as a "we're going to

continue to live a long life, and be happy"

shotgun...

5. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Its a 590a1 and its new. I thought 629$ was average? The main turn off for me on the 870 is that if the extractor breaks it needs to be sent to the factory.

6. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Shotgun...

MY OPINION ONLY.... You're milage may vary!!
    Pump... How about a Stevens model 67 ???; http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=345007888
    If you want something new... My shooting buddy just bought his son a Tristar semi-auto;
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=345493675 ...he's happy with that. Both well under $500 too. Don't feel you have to choose between the pawn shop's inventory only. Take some time, read some reviews, listen to the guys & gals here... get informed and THEN make a choice you'll feel good about.
    Good luck buddy!!

7. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

On most mossberg 500 with a pistol grip, you can remove it and for around $30 you can get a full stock or a telescoping stock for $50 it might be worth getting the pisol grip and btw the 590 are like $525 on buds I think in stock

8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I like berry and eric big fan of there youtube stuff, But I like the old used 870's I can get a new one for around $350 here in ky so a used one shouldn't be to bad. Usually when I get a new shotgun the first thing that I shoot out of it is target loads I like remington but I've been settling with winchester here lately just because they have 50 round boxs at the local boom stick shop.

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Replacing an extractor on an 870 is a kitchen table operation if there ever was one. You are getting some real bad info. The Remington 870s and the Mossberg 500s have outsold about all the other repeating shotguns ever made by anybody combined, and they both continue to sell well for a reason; they work.
    Besides which, if you do run in to an issue they both have about as good a customer service as there is.

10. SSGN_Doc

I don't know I haven't had one break, and neither have any of my friends.

Replacing the extractor isn't hard though. Drive a pin out with a punch, keep control of a spring and plunger while you remove it, then put the other extractor in and replace the pin. It's like lots of extractors.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

OK, back the truck up.

You're buying a new 590a1 at a pawn shop??

12. akers06

akers06 New Member

Do they have any Winchester 1300, 120, or 1200 if they do and you can get them for under $250 I would go that route this line of Winchester pump guns are in my opinion unbeatable

13. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Pawn shop/gun store, you've seen iraqveteran8888's channel right?
    The shop [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HahLEj55dBM[/ame]

14. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL1-YikvzwY[/ame]

They were saying in this video that you had to send it into the factory.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out the Maverick 88. same basic shotgun as the Mossberg 500 and is made by Mossberg. not the prettiest shotgun, but one solid performer. i am on my second one now. most parts that fit the 500 will work on the 88 as well, like stocks, barrels and chokes.

shy away from pistol gripped only stocked shotguns. they are not fun for extended range shooting sessions and are hard on your wrists if shot for many rounds.

16. SSGN_Doc

They are takling ejector, not extractor.

Never seen an ejector break on the Mossy or Remington.

17. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

18. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Cabela's is selling Mossberg 500's for $269 this weekend, Father's Day sale.

19. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

At all cabellas???

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

probably most of them.:D