what should I buy?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by DJango, Feb 28, 2010.

1. DJango

DJango New Member

What is the best tactical shotgun on the market for $500-600? I was thinking about buying the Mossberg at my local shop, but I wanted to ask you guys first. I'm not sure "tactical" can really be applied for this price range, but I just want it for home defense and backyard fun, I don't need to hunt or kill clay with this one, it just needs to be a 12g auto / pump.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That amount of money will get you a semi-auto. Take a look at Remington 11-87's, Mossberg 935's and such. Unless you would rather have a pump.

3. Missileman

Missileman New Member

For self defense I would recommend a pump--it is easier to bring into battery and less likely to jam/malfunction. Plus the sound of racking a round into the chamber can stop the fight before it begins. For that money the Remington 870 Marine (boat, not Jarhead) version would be a great buy--synthetic stock and non-corrosive finish.

4. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Django, Weigh out your options. I recommend a pump also. Mossberg makes more tactical/security shotguns than most other MFG's. There's a reason why.Shop around the deals are out there. Just recently a friend stopped and showed me a Winchester 1300 Defender he picked up for 300 bucks,NIB. Very Nice-Great Action. Security shotguns are better kept simple,IMO. You'll never go wrong with a Remington, Mossberg, Winchester or Benelli. After all, they are the leaders. Good Luck, do tell us what you decide.

5. MAX100

MAX100 New Member

Remington 870 Express Tactical Model # 81198 Priced around $450. It's loaded with features and the best deal Remington has ever offered on a Tactical Defense shotgun. A plain Express with factory tube extension and a cheap bead blasted blue finish will run about $300.

870 Model 25549

[​IMG]

You get all of the below add-ons for $150 more.

Tapped for Chokes tubes - worth $60
    Comes with a Breacher choke tube - worth $40 - sell it and get some of your money back
    Black Oxide finish - costly
    XS ghost ring sights and rail - worth at least $125
    Factory tube extension kit - worth $80
    LE Speedfeed forend - worth $20

[​IMG]

GC

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  6. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Look MAX100, I can do that too...
    Can I be an expert like you now?

[​IMG]
    590A1 SPX – 9 Shot – 12 Gauge
    - $449.99 NIB
    - Barrel Length: 20″
    - Sights: Ghost Ring
    - Choke: Cylinder Bore
    - Overall Length: 41″
    - LOP: 13-7/8″
    - Finish: Parkerized
    - Stock: Black Synthetic
    - Origin: Made in the USA
    - Warranty: 10 yr Limited Warranty

-All 590A1 models come standard with 12 gauge heavy-walled barrels with Pakerized finish, metal trigger guards and metal safety buttons
    -Sighting Options-All full range are available for quick target acquisition:Front Bead, Ghost Ring, and 3-Dot configurations
    -Stock Options- Synthetic, Speedfeed & Adjustable Aluminum stocks are available
    -Drilled&Tapped Receivers-All 590A1 models feature a drilled & tapped receiver, factory-ready for Picatinny rail, scope base or optics installation
    -Accessory Options- Include heat shields, Picatinny rails & orange buttstocks and forearms
    A little about Mossberg...
    Founded in 1919, O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. is the oldest family-owned firearms manufacturer in America, and is the largest pump-action shotgun manufacturer in the world. Leading the way with over 100 design and utility patents to its credit, and standing as the first ISO 9001 certified long-gun manufacturer, Mossberg is considered to be one of the most innovative firearms manufacturers in U.S. history.

7. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

getcha a mossberg "just in case" you can pick them up between 350 and 400 bucks and they're a great gun to be had

Attached Files:

8. MAX100

MAX100 New Member

You copied yours and you have wrong price posted for the 590A1 SPX. The $449 you posted is way below dealer cost. The low retail price is about $559 for the 590A1 SPX with LPA GRS and rail. The price you posted is for a 590A1 with factory GRS.

Nice shotgun but it's very heavy fully loaded with the heavy wall barrel.

GC

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Wow this thread went down hill fast. From the get a pump and rack the slide the bad guys will run away and piss themselves. To the I can cut and paste argument. Why type when you can cut and paste?

I would go with a Mossberg or an 870. That is just me. They are the top dogs in the pump tactical shotgun world.

Or you could go with this.
    Benelli Shotguns | Benelli Nova Pump tactical version is only $449.

10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with either the Remington (my choice), or the Mossberg. I just wish the Remington had the tang safety of the Mossberg. You don't need a lot of add-ons for a shotgun to be effective. In fact I recommend you get a plain shotgun to start with and add modifications as you decide you need/desire them. Too many people get mired down in the details of add-ons, and forget how effective a plain ol shotgun is.

11. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

That's my point...
    I didn't do anything different than what you do.

At GunBroker.com opening bid usually range from $450-$490. As far as the 590A1 w/ factory GRS; starting bid is usually $350. Granted these are auction prices, but usually there's no reserve and some sellers will list items at bargain basement prices. Hoping the bidding will drive the price up. If no one else bids winner gets it at a big savings. Of course there's other places to find bargains; other on-line websites, locally, gun shows, left over/surplus inventory, etc. That's why my OP states...

12. MAX100

MAX100 New Member

You need to check your Gun Broker prices again. The prices you posted for Mossberg 590A1 SPX with LPA Ghost Ring Sight Model 50771 are about $35 - $75 under dealer cost.

Here is the GunBroker Link. Prices range from $598 to $650. The only one listed for $469 isn't a SPX. Look at the picture in the action. If You can provide a supplier that has them for $450 each I will take 10 of them. The LPA sights cost about $180 a set.

GunBroker.com - Search Results: 590 SPX

To the OP the Mossberg 930 SPX is in your price range and would be a good choice if you decide on a Semi Auto.

GC

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  13. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

If you have around $600, and want something fancier I would recommend the Mossberg 930 SPX 8 shot (#85360). My local gun shop sells it for $620 I think, which is a decent enough price for an auto loader. Personally I prefer the "M-16" style sights to the more basic sights.

14. DavidTurley

DavidTurley New Member

I own a benelli nova pump, and love it its not a tactial but they do make a tactial model but I think some of the other brands hold more ammo.

15. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Your link shows BIN's.
    Starting Bid & BIN price only being a few pennies to a couple of dollars difference isn't the "bargain basement" deals I was talking about. But I can see how you misunderstood me by how I worded my thread- bad wording on my part, I apologize. Instead of saying "usually" I should of said occasionally. I did say some dealers not all. Item# 50771 was new for Mossberg's 2009 product line. Dealers that work in volume have to move their products eventually to make room for new merchandise. No you won't find them in lots of 10 or selling at opening bid, but I have seen them sell at a significant savings.

To the OP-
    Which ever model you decide on shop around and get the best price available. Even local stores will flex a little. Good Luck-