What should I buy next?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by beastmode986, May 28, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

What should I buy next? So far I could feed my family for about 2.5-3 weeks with my preps(I'm 15, I am trying my best) I have plenty of lakes by my house but in my basement I have a bunch of empty 1/2 gallon-1 gallon botles filled with water 2 5 gallon buckets treated and sealed with water in them and 2 cases of water. We have 2 guns(A gsg 1911-22 and a Remington 597 with about 3000rds of ammo. I have a bunch of medical supplies(Gauze, aspirin, gloves, peroxide, band aids, etc) 8-9 flashlights, and around 20 spare batteries for each type of battery. I have a fully stocked bug out bag, 1 set of some inexpensive 10 mile walkie talkies and a garden going in the backyard.

Is there anything important I should get besides more food and water? I dont have an emergency radio yet, should I get one?
    Thanks!

2. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Beast. Learn to make fire, by other means not with lighters or matches &improvised camp stoves . Check out YOU TUBE , there are alot of good vids & ALOT of bad vids. Look at Dave Canterbury on YOU TUBE he is a very good instructor & practice what you learn. Also search you tube for bushcraft camp stoves, here are a few of my home mades, 1 wood & 2 alcohol stoves.

ForumRunner_20130528_052950.jpg

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Nah, I say go ahead and buy a bunch of matches, or better yet, lighters. They're inexpensive enough. But yeah, learn to make fire under all conditions. Have you tested those "inexpensive" 10-mile radios? That's 10 miles under IDEAL conditions. Find out their true range. If space allows, how about planting some fruit and nut trees/vines/bushes? That's what I'm trying to do. How about a/some bigger guns?

4. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Yeah I need to stock up on matches and lighters. I am pretty good with a fire steel right now but I should practice more. I want and am saving for a mosin nagant and a mossberg 590 or 590a1

5. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

A one way ticket to Jupiter......! Eeeeeeek..! :D

6. TLuker

TLuker New Member

The most important thing is not an actual thing, it is knowledge. Don't worry near as much about actual things so much as doing things. Go camping with some friends or family. That's a really good way to find out what things you need. Catch a few fish out of the near by lakes and cook them over a camp fire. What things would make that experience more comfortable? Add those things and go camping again. :)

7. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

If you don't already have it get some inexpensive fishing gear.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I find it pretty interesting that a 15 year old is willing and able to take on the responsibility to take care of his family. This is a kid to be proud of.

9. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Me an my dad go fishing all the time so I have that covered/

Thanks!

10. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Chicken. In a can.

Attached Files:

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Toilet paper, tampons, soap, detergent, toothpaste...

Write down everything you use in a day, and do it for a few days. You will see there are some insignificant things we take for granted that we really can't do without.

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I wish I had not looked at that "chicken in a can" immediately after eating breakfast......gross.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  13. AR10

AR10 New Member

Safe for two guns. The biggest threat any family faces, is an unauthorized family member or household acquaintance, or burglar getting a hold of the guns and doing harm to themselves or someone else. If the family does not have a safe, get one. Ammo should be stored in a separate yet secure place. Nearby is fine.

Don't go too bonkers over this SHTF stuff. The sky has been falling a lot of years, and it is still up there.

At fifteen, other things are important also. Cars, girls, grades in school, part time job or three saving up for the important things on the list.

When I was your age, all I worried about was what to purchase next from the J C Whitney catalog.

It is ok to prepare, but other things in life are just as important.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  14. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Lol I know, I dont spend all my money on preps I always keep 50% in savings,
    the movies are so damn expensive and you cant really go anywhere without spending money. I just want to have some supplies on back up if I ever need them. my dads taking me and a friend to the country fest(cma fest)in Tennessee so im going to need money for that too

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Well please tell that to therewolf -- he thinks you are preoccupied rather than being a responsible young citizen. I applaud you! And as you've already seen, a little knowledge, skill, perspective, planning and investment can go a long way.

16. 515Survival

515Survival New Member

Well I dont think its been said yet but some sort of water purification. Those lakes will come in handy when your clean water runs out. Also make sure you store your water in a container designed for long term storage. Normal bottles of water the plastics may not last.
    As the others have said, bravo for taking it upon yourself to make sure your family is prepared! We need more people like you in the world.:)

17. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Carolina Golden rice. 20-lb. bags on sale here for $6.99!

Last week they were a little more. I don't even know if I need them anymore but three bags fit in a heavy-guage mylar bag with oxygen absorbers and dehumidifier packs so a buddy is getting that Christmas present early with a jar of multivitamins and some oil when it goes on sale for the 4th of July. He already got the meat substitute.

18. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

19. FL-panhandle

FL-panhandle New Member

Where's the site for that Golden Rice??

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I may have read here somewhere that Golden rice does not keep very well......