what shotgun should i get?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by hongsx, Nov 12, 2008.

1. hongsx

hongsx New Member

input please.

im gonna be buying a shotgun soon, prolly by the end of this month, and i was wondering what would be good.

im hoping for a not too expensive, but quality shotgun with pistol grip and stock

2. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

you cam buy a moss 500 for about 230 bucks and buy an advanced technoloy collapsable stock for 60 bucks through cabelas. the cool thing with the stock is that you can off the tube assembly and have your pisol grip as well

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Check out the Saiga 12s. They come with/can have pistol grips and folding stocks added. They cycle very fast. You have the option of 10 round mags or 20 round drums as well.

4. Catfish

Catfish New Member

Of the lower end shotguns I believe that the Rem. 870 Express is by far the best built and the best for the money.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hong - In your price range, I would definitely be looking for a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870. Either one would be an ideal choice for home defense and are proven shotguns for multiple applications. They both offer an extensive aftermarket, but the Remington's is a tad bit stronger/varied.

Either one is easy to use, easy to take apart and learn on, not to metion reliable.

JD

6. Zoomschwortz

Zoomschwortz New Member

I've put thousands of rounds through an 870 while trap shooting and hunting without a single problem.

They are very dependable.

Take care
    Ken

7. chopkick

chopkick New Member

I have a Remington 870 Marine Magnum. I stake my life and my family's life on its dependability in a time of need. Of course I have a few other little goodies just in case.;)

8. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I would go with, and I'm going to once I get around to buying a shotgun, a Remington 870. A LOT of upgrade options.

9. SigSire

SigSire New Member

The 870 has been very dependable for me during hunting--never a problem with the gun....getting to the ammo was a problem with the hunter on one duck excursion. ;)

10. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

he wanted cheap price. a saiga 12 is great, but the base model is not pistol grip or collapsible stock. Those mods will wind up requiring him to spend closer to a grand for everything. Just a basic saiga is between $500 and $600 these days.

The 870, as mentioned a dozen times already, is the most practical way to go. You want to get an auto-loader instead of pump? I say a remington 1100 tactical at a recent gun show for $600. I have one, and it is a GREAT shotgun.

11. Mike U.

Mike U. New Member

An 870 Express Magnum is a great choice. If you prefer a tang safety, the Mossberg 500 may be the way to go.
    I put a Knoxx Industries Spec Ops stock on my 870 because it reduces felt recoil by up to 90%. :eek: It really works! I can shoot 3" magnum loads all day and not pay the price in my shoulder the next day (or week). The best add-on I've ever bought for a firearm. I paid $109.00 from Midway.
    Knoxx also has a more traditional looking recoil reducing stock too called the Comp Stock. IIRC, they are priced the same.

Don't know if I can post pics since I'm an FNG but, I'll try:
    [​IMG]

12. guncrazy74

guncrazy74 New Member

One thing I will say and I am sure I will catch it for saying so is that you want to buy a three inch version remington 870 not the 3 1/2 unless you just want a 12 that will shoot a 10 gauge size load. The remington I own will expend a shell but not load another if it is not thrown back far enough. I have had it do this many times while hunting and tried to fire a second shot and it went click. I know that is shooter error but I hate it when it happens and my winchesters never do it or the brownings. Especially for a defense gun when you are keyed up and that next shot might mean your life. I am sure I will get some hate mail for saying a bad thing about remingtons but thats my two cents.

13. sinzitu

sinzitu New Member

ahh the "short stroke"...

That can happen to any pump action firearm if the pump is not fully cycled. As you mentioned any time of stress can cause trouble. The best mantra for this is to practice, practice, practice with whatever pump-action shotgun you choose.

Again, the Rem 870 or Moss 500 are both fine choices. Find which one suits you best. Lots of folks are drawn to one or the other based on "feel" and placement of the manual safety.

14. Rugerdoug

Rugerdoug New Member

For home defense I have the Mossberg 500 Marine Mariner, for hunting I have the 870 Remmy Turkey Gun 21" barrel and 26 " barrel.

15. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

A Bit Late

I realize this is a bit late, but a good, affordable shotgun meeting your specifitactions might be an Remington 870. You can buy models in desert camo, or flat black tactical models with 18 inch barrels. Try gunbroker.com for some prices, and many sports stores sell them. A used one in decent condition is normally much cheaper, but be cautious when buying used, don't buy any painted or modified guns. I hope this might help when you buy your next shotgun. Good Luck!

16. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

I bought my remington 1100 tac-2 off gunbroker and have loved it so far! More cleaning to do than on an 870, but also a lot more fun. Just pull the trigger as a fast as you can...

17. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

No need to be gentle when racking the action. Pull that slide back hard and until it stops. Slam it forward until it stops. It's not an uncommon problem for pump guns as I suffered through it myself with my first pump.

18. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

I love 1100s as well. I use my fathers, and nothing can slow it down. It has been my duck, geese, and deer gun (we have a slug barrel for it). You can buy a lot of different parts for whatever you need, and a used one is about the same price as an 870

19. MXFun86

MXFun86 New Member

I'd stay away from the Rem 1100, only because they arn't chambered in 3". Other than that, great shotgun. My personal fave is the Rem 870 Express Magnum, with the smooth bore 20" barrel, rifle sights

20. Scare_Rab

Scare_Rab New Member

Get the one you think you'll put the most shells through

Been said here already : Practice Practice p&^% practice Pr%$@

Practice shooting ,,, reloading ,,, taking down
    Practice in low light ....

What ever you get (... ALL the weopons mentioned are good enough)
    Put shells thru her

Practice Practice p&^% practice Pr%$@

:)