What rifle (shotgun) is this

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by scxhornet, Jan 24, 2012.

1. scxhornet

scxhornet New Member

I inherited this rifle after my grandfather passed away. My mother thought it was from WW2 but had no confirmation. There are no markings on it and the trigger lock has no key. Does anyone know what this is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scxhornet

scxhornet New Member

My thoughts is that it is a Winchester model 70 by looking at pictures on the web

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks like a bolt action shotgun. Appears to have an adjustable choke. Possibly Stevens or one of the store guns like Sears or Western Auto.

4. scxhornet

scxhornet New Member

Found the barrel mark. Wards Western Field 14M 215A 20GA-2 3/4in.

I guess I was far off

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Looks like a Mossberg 410 shotgun

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

7. scxhornet

scxhornet New Member

Would the gun hold up to modern 20 ga shells? I want to go shoot it now after I drill the trigger guard and give it a good cleaning. I am thinking this was his deer hunting gun.

8. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I would take it to a gun smith first and have it checked it to be on the safe side nice lookin gun by the way

9. scxhornet

scxhornet New Member

That sounds like the right thing to do. I will have them drill the lock and look it over. It looks like I can order the 3-shot clips and go shooting

10. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

It might be hard to find the clips but not impossible

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

See here for cross reference http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/store-brand-manufacturer-cross-reference-24977/

MAGAZINE, PEOPLE. MAGAZINE!!!!!!

Well made shotgun. Inexpensive, but well made. Barring any major issues like a plugged barrel it should shoot fine. DO NOT attempt to shoot 3" 20 ga shells in this gun. 2 3/4" should be perfectly fine.

I could not understand what was meant by "drill the trigger", but I presume you mean to drill out the lock on the trigger. Be careful as many of these had plastic trigger guards. That plastic may be brittle with age.

12. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol dose it realy matter anymore magazine ,clips everone gets what u r talking about when u say clip for a magazine feed rifle and magazine for clip feed rifle

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The 85D (Mossberg) was made 1940-46 (none made in '42 due to the war). They all had plastic triggerguards (finger grooves is Mossberg giveaway) so be gentle. If it has shrunken and pulled away from the wood, can be fixed by wrapping in rubber bands, and gently heating with a hair dryer.

If the gun is in good shape, it should fire current 2 3/4 shells just fine. You can find the TWO round magazines here: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=724010A&catid=7832

These were durable, reliable utility grade shooters. First gun for a lot of young shooters, gun of a farmer, mechanic, storekeeper. Good guns. Mossberg's motto was- and is- "More gun for your money".

14. scxhornet

scxhornet New Member

Thanks guys. Magazine, magazine, magazine- not clip (got it)!

I did mean drill off the gun lock on the trigger guard. The key is lost and there does not look to be an alternate way of removing it

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

It does matter, as a clip and a magazine are two ENTIRELY different things.

16. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I know it matters and that they r entirely different but but if u walk in to a gun store and say I need a clip for my ar the person will still know what u mean

17. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Yeah but in the back of his mind he is saying its a magazine not a f-ing clip

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yeah, they'll know what you mean but I like to be taken seriously. ;)

If you were a mechanic and someone was trying to discuss how an engine runs and they were using incorrect terminology would you take them seriously?

19. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

True but he still knows what u mean

20. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol me to but then agian clip or mag they both feed the gun