What rifle is best for me?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Shootnscoot, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Shootnscoot

Shootnscoot New Member

Lately I've been seriously considering purchasing a firearm. I was recently honorably discharged from the U.S. Army. I'm not sure what kind to get. My weapons experience is limited. The only weapons I've fired are the M16A2, M249, MK19, M240B, M2 50 cal, and M109A6 with most experience on the M16A2. Obviously those are all out of the question for me to own now, and since I've never fired anything else, I could use some help choosing.
    I intend to use my firearm exclusively at ranges.
    I want something that has an effective range of 150-200 meters.
    It should be heavy enough to absorb recoil, but light enough for various stable firing positions.
    I prefer iron sights.
    I do not want to spend more than $400.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

2. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I ain't got much time on her yet. But Ill tell ya I just picked up my first lever gun in .30 30 and lotta people say it aint any good past 100 yards but youtube will prove those folks wrong. And with the new hornady flex tip the velocity and energy has picked way up from a traditional .30 30 . Round are a bit expensive though. But I put a couple rounds through her and rackin that lever and hearin that crack of the round.... man put a smile on your face ear to ear. they makem in .357 44 mag .30 30 maybe a couple more I dont know about.

If you just want a more traditional plinker you can find bolt action .223 if you wanna stick with a similar round from what your used to and more affordable ammo. .270 is also a decent plinker.

Hope this helps.

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

Just out of the Army? Get an AR. Go with what you know.

4. ClemsonSCJ

ClemsonSCJ New Member

Ok I started typing one reply without fully reading the OP's full message, but decided to do so before replying. Now I'm having to revamp lol. I was going to say go with either an AR or a Remington 700 because they're both great rifles for what you're wanting to use them for and the 700's are offered in many different calibers and there's endless upgrade options out there. However I then read your price range and optics options, and although I was going to sway against a 30-30, your optics request pretty much narrows it down to an AR and a lever gun, and your price range pretty much rules out any AR's. So it sounds to me as though a Marlin 30-30 might be your best option. That is unless you can find someone practically giving an AR away.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

The 400 dollar limit AND open sights will put you in a used rifle market. Raise that 400 to a mid 400 dollar range LGS priceing and the savage hog hunter is an option- savage arms model 11/111 hoghunter in 223 or 308.

Mossberg has a MVP Patrol model in the line but price is a bit higher yet, high 400 dollars LGS prices .

Both have open sights . Both in 223 will be easy on the pocket and shoulder.

Last would be a savage arms 17hmr but don't thinkany are avalible with open sights any more but taotaly capable of sub- moa 100 yard groups and cheaper to shot. and 200 yards is practical on low wind days.
    http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-93R17.htm

Shop for best prices, These would be priced at your local general store.

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Psh, the sky's the limit brother. Not really, but for plinking why not a 22? There are some excellent ones out there. My personal experience to 22s is limited to the Ruger 10-22 which you should be able to find for half your budget. It's a great reliable gun that chews up and spits out all ammo I put in it. The only downside to a 22 is that you're not necessarily going to punch out real accurately to 200 meters.

I like the lever gun idea. I just bought a Winchester 30-30 for $400. I haven't been able to find any ammo for it but I've shot one in the past. It doesn't get much more fun than a good lever gun. And I personally love the classic Americana beauty of them.

I also like the AR idea but the cheapest new one I've found near me is $700. So you'd be limited to a used one. Or you could build it yourself and buy the parts over time. That won't feel as bad to the wallet as buying a new gun.

I suggest going to some local gun stores and taking a look at some used rifles and just picking one that seems to be in good condition and fits you well, and then before buying it come on here and ask about that particular model/caliber.

But really my number one pick for your needs is a good lever gun.

Just my .02.

7. bildee

bildee New Member

your price range is not realistic in today;'s market. Just budget another $200 and keep your eye open for a private sale of an AR. You'll be glad you did. I'd take out a loan or sell something else, rather than settle for a lesser rifle. After a while, get a $200 Ciener .22lr conversion unit for it, so you can save 20c a shot, quietly take small game, fire on indoor ranges (hi-v rifles are not welcome at many of them ). the caliber swap takes a mere 20 seconds, and it will group 2" or better at 50 yds, plenty good enough accuracy. About 50% of the .22lr units need a few minutes of gunmithing to make them reliable, tho.

It's very handy, if you hunt at all, to have both a little rimfire and something that will reach 1/4 mile, in a lw, compact package. The 22 unit weighs less than one pound, can be carried in the thigh pocket of BDUS', or in a fanny pack, etc. It's also nice to have a .22 for teaching novice shooters. With the AR and 22 unit, any aftermarket stocks, scopes, trigger jobs, etc, that you add to your 223, you also have added to your .22l. That sort of stuff adds up to big dollars in a hurry, if you buy two of everything.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

First choice- I'd recommend saving up money a little longer and getting an AR.

Second choice- If that is not a possibility, then save up and look for a used SKS.

Third would be a good lever or bolt gun.

A good .22 or .22 mag will still get you plinking and target shooting ability out to 100 yds, and yo ucould stretch to 200 for a real challenge.

When you say effective range, I'm assuming ability to group well, because you don't need a ton of energy on paper and plinking targets.

9. NF50AR

NF50AR New Member

Sniper 101 on YouTube.... There is a lot of great information to figure that out!

10. cottontop

cottontop Guest

A bolt action in .243 would be just about ideal. Check out the Marlin X7 series. About the best going right now for the price.
    ct

11. Shootnscoot

Shootnscoot New Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I've narrowed my choices to Ruger 10/22 Carbine, Marlin XT-22, and Remmington 597. I'm leaning more towards the Ruger. Prices and parts availability will determine my final decision.

12. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Savage 111, Marlin X7 or Ruger American. All solid value rifles and 200 yards is a chip shot for a quality bolt action rifle. My Savage 30-06 shoots 1/2 MOA groups and has an effective range past 500 yards on deer sized game (longer with low drag bullets) not bad for $386.
    If you are recoil shy try a 6.5mm, my Tikka 6.5x55 weighs only 6.25lbs shoots under 1/4 MOA and any healthy child can handle the recoil, kills deer just as dead as any of my larger calibers. For a non-reloader I would recommend the 6.5 Creedmore a modern ballistic twin to my Swede.

13. bildee

bildee New Member

oh, yeah, all those lw bolt actions are 1/4 MOA. :) What planet do you live on, man? even if the rifle can do this, nobody can deliver better than 1 MOA hits, in the field. In fact, they can't do that well, except in the rare places where they can fire from prone, with bipod or some sort of rest.

1 MOA group sizes, guys, are not the same thing as hitting a 1 MOA-sized target. your 2" group at 200 yds is easily (often in fact) centered 4" or more (sometimes a LOT more) off target, due to wind, heat mirage, etc.

14. vendetta31

vendetta31 New Member

Hey guys im new to rifles and in the market for 1... im looking into game shooting and deer hunting, im wondering whats a good rifle.. Im looking into a Ruger American.. what are your thoughts??

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i too would have suggested some but as you seem to want iron sights, some of the lesser expensive bolt actions don't offer iron sights. a few days scouring the gun stores and pawn shops could yeald some nice results for rifles meeting your criteria. lots of good choices used. but i would also think in your price range a nice bolt action 22 would be a good place to start. with the exception of the M16 you fired, very little of what you have experiance with translates into the civilian market. so i would suggest either a used centerfire or a new bolt action 22 rimfire.

the Ruger American seems to be getting decent reviews from those who have bought them. some others to consider are the Marlin X7 series of rifles. decently priced, very accurate and well made with some nice features. the Savage Axis series of rifles. decently priced, good accuracy, well made and solid. the Mossberg ATR100 series. very accurate, well made and decently priced rifles.

nothing wrong with looking at used rifles at the gun stores and pawn shops. sometimes you can some pretty good deals on rifles that have been shot very little if you know what you're looking for and at.

16. bildee

bildee New Member

well, to a certain extent the choices are terrain-climate affected. If your area has really thick woods, (ie, short range shots only) and if, maybe, the muzzleloader season is quite long, offers some advantage (ie, maybe the time coincides with acorns ripening and you have an ideal site to use a tree stand while they feed on such) you might consider that. Will you do anything else with the rifle, besides hunt deer? no chance of it being involved in matches, varmint hunting, or in a self-defense or shtf role?

right now, ammo availability is a big issue, and reloading components are not to be had, it seems like. Various states have lower limits on bore size or power levels, for legally hunting deer, too. Also, some calibers, while techically legal (ie, 9mm carbine) would be a bad choice, almost everywhere and for everybody. Yes, I could brain deer with one, to 50 yds. The same is true of a .22lr, tho. That doesn't make it a sensible choice for deer hunting, especially not in open country and on the larger deer. Some areas, like parts of Ark and Tx, a typical shot might be at ranges of sub-20 yds, and a "big" deer is 80 lbs. :) other places, corn fed individuals have topped 400 lbs, and you might be firing at 300 yds. Those are two very different kettles of fish

17. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I just checked Cabela's website, they have Mossberg Tactical AR .22lr rifles listed for between $269.99 - $319.99 ( no guarantees that they are in stock). 200 yards may be a stretch for this platform & ammo is definitely a challenge(!!) but .223/5.56 ain't much easier to find and does not fit your price range.

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I take it you have never shot competition. I agree a 1mao group size that is not in the X ring is useless, but Apex does mention Deer sized game. That changes things as the kill zone is about 9". If you are proficient and can shoot 1.5" groups offhand at 100 your fine to 300. Would you like to go shooting? Shooting is as much about instinct, skill then equipment. If you have ever shot NRA small bore 50ft it is a 3 position shoot, unsupported. I use to shoot outdoors and it was all sand, wind could come off the ocean and unless your instinct/skill was vg it was a bad day as the 10/bull was the size of the bullet, all open sights. Your analogy of 4" off comes to shooter skill at reading environment. So I'll offer again, Do you want to go shooting? Everyones skill leval is different. If I had to choose between a bolt and semi, it is a bolt. BTW, I've sold all my semis.

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Not sure who you are responding too. If you have a muzzleloader, you can also use it during regular rifle season in every state I know of. If you are shooting 400 pound Whitetail, that was a cow. The horns and color should give it away. Goliath was the largest recorded Whitetail buck, He was farm raised in Pa. At 2.5 years he was 375lb. Me thinks your kettle smells funny.

20. jakeshort72

jakeshort72 New Member

For less than $400 id say find a nice Sks. But a lot of people say that their tapco'd Sks is worth more than original that not necessarily true. Sks's are worth more original or with original parts and numbers matching. That inclides mag and stock. They are cheal to buy, cheap to shoot, and good for a maximum of 250-300 yards. And very reliable in original form. Recoil buffers, hicap mags, etc will only ruin an Sks rather than improve one. They are semi automatic and shoot the same round as an ak (7.62x39). Also there mosin nagant rifles. Type 53 carbines are the way to go. Cheap as a 91/30 but 10 inches shorter. Good investment. Also cheap to shoot and pretty accuarte if bore is in good condition. Certain ARs are cheap right now like the stags I THINK they are like $850 for a standard stock model 3 with 16inch barrel.