What rifle is best for hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by sizir1shotguns, Nov 8, 2010.

1. sizir1shotguns

sizir1shotguns New Member

Which rifle is best for hunting ???
    I'm going to buy 1 but can i get good advice from you guys?
    Hunting season has opened.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

they got deer in turkey??

i take several guns when i go to texas to hunt.

anyway for years i used a winchester model 70 in 458 winmag using 350grn hornady round nose soft point traveling around 1900-2000fps. this year i am taking my new .458socom and ruger 44 mag carbine. i also bring my remington 700 xcr in 308win. if i hunt an area where shots past 100 yards become necessary.

i also pack along my colt sp1 in .223 rem. with colt 4x scope in case i get an oppurtunity to moose hunt. and yes it does have a bayonet.

3. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Unless I missed it somewhere, you may want to tell us what you are hunting?

4. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

Taliban and al-qeda can usually be taken out with a good .50 bmg !!!

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

What are you hunting?where are you hunting?what is the terrain?How long of shots are you making?There are hundreds of rifle/caliber combinations depending on all of these factors.

6. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

12ga Shotgun. In flight, or terrestrial, it can take most game.

7. sizir1shotguns

it depends if its winter ill hunt boars i its summer il hunt deers (yes there are deers in turkey) close to the sea you have ree's bit small deers when you go central ( in the the nail wounds youl encounter big red deers) here is a proof that deers live in turkey Bestand:Leefgebied edelhert.JPG - Wikipedia ill shoot them at 100-200 yards i think so which rifle do i need

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont doubt you got em im just surprised they live there. :) but a remington 700 in 308 or 30-06 is great for deer sized critters.

9. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

I would say a .308 bolt action is what you need for deer. I would advise belting out some cash for an sks or something semi auto for wild boar since they are so aggressive and very likely to charge if wounded... That or find a nice big tree to climb before you start taking shots..

10. sizir1shotguns

i want to spend my money at 1 rifle so not 1 rifle for boars and 1 rifle for deers

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

What ammunition is common over there? A good bolt action with open sights or a low power variable scope (1x4) would suffice if the cartridge has enough power. 1x would allow you to shoot with both eyes open on dangerous game while 4x would be good for the longer shots.

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm not even a hunter and the question frustrates me.

1) What is the firearm needed for? Hunting? okay
    2) What game is being hunted? Big? Small? Fowl?
    3) What caliber is best for that game?
    4) What gun fits my budget/terrain/caliber?

You're missing a lot of pieces here. And you're going out on Friday?

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

bolt action chambered in 30-06 or .308 winchester excellent for everything up to the great bears. bird hunting is best reserved for shotguns. 12gauge shotgun is an allround good caliber for all bird species.

14. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

If I recall those Eurasian boars are especially big and aggressive. I would base my decision on the boar hunt. Anything you choose for the boar will definitely be good enough for deer. I agree with some of these post you should make a decision based on what caliber ammunition that is available to you. However I would not go with anything under the 308 or equivalent.

15. sbrenner

sbrenner New Member

One rifle.

Remington model 750 semi-auto in .308 winchester.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

16. Zee

Zee New Member

You cant go wrong with a 30-06 or a 308, the rem 700 or the winchester 70, a good 3x9x40 scope. both calibers are proven and offer a wide range of factory loads for any area in Texas. for big game

For birds it's hard to beat a rem 870, although my personal shotgun it the Ithica 37 featherlight

17. sizir1shotguns

well where i live they mostley dont use rifles only shotguns mostley buckshots but that aint good for a far ranged hunter so thats the reason why i need a god rifle that can kill from rabbit till a European bear

18. bolognablake

bolognablake New Member

Would a round like 7.62x54r be more common over there?

19. BIGP

BIGP New Member

remington 7600 pump in 270 works real well for deer& hogs both. & you can find them for a fair price.

20. powg

powg New Member

turkish blend

i would go local and find a soviet dragunov probably lots around