Firearms Talk banner
61 - 80 of 189 Posts
Consider a .25-06. It works well on deer critters with a 100 grain bullet. Because it is flat shooting (high velocity) use a good bullet. (Serria bullets have too light a jacket, but are wonderfully accurate.) The 100 gr. bullet has little recoil. If there is a down side, it requires a long action.

there is no perfect caliber, or what caliber or rifle is best. many can perform the same job as another, just as many can be not so great for the same job at hand. some calibers and rifles may be a little more versatile than others as history has shown us. we all have our preferences and favorites. i know i do.

I personally use a weatherby vanguard chamber in .308 win i have killed deer at 300yds with no problem at all. I understand you need cheap so weatherby is out of the question. I would personally choose a remington 700 chambered in .308 win. I use 150gr remington soft point core-lokts.

We process deer and I have seen first hand the aftermath of a kill shot from the 30-06
do you know what weight bullets were used?

I'm considering my first bolt gun, as I've always wanted to get into hunting, but all my weapons are of a "tactical" nature, shoot "minute of man" etc. (AR15s, tactical entry shotgun, semi-auto handguns, etc.)

If I get a Rem700 in 30-06, can it be used to take deer, and not pulverize the meat if you use a lighter bullet weight?

Any top quality bolt action in .308 Win. is a good choice for platform and ammo availability (up until just recently), accuracy and good ballistic profile. I always felt if it was good enough for police swat teams and military snipers, it was good enough for me.

Attachments

^^^ Meh, I've already had my shoulder surgery, I don't need another one.

As for the best caliber, given whatever the situation, the best caliber is the one you shoot the most accurately repetitively that gets the job done. If you wish to dislocate limbs, the one above is definitely the winner.

Tikka t3 270. Case closed

For me, my absolute favorite go to cartridge for up to big Mule Deer hunting is the 25-06 ,launching 115grain Nosler Partitions.

having been a professional deer culler and on venison recovery here in NZ years ago and on the venison recovery shooting from choppers we used 308 slr's and for my culling Iused a 243 and I still use a 243 today for my deer hunting although I also use a 22-250 sometimes. I think the best Rifle caliber is the one you can shoot the straightest with. Noise and recoil can affect a hunter who has too big a caliber for them to handle. this has been the ruin of some who could have been top shots. this is just my to bobs worth
That's what I'm talkin about!! I don't see why people get 300 win mags for whitetail deer?! If you can't kill any North American animal with a 243 you shouldn't be huntin.

61 - 80 of 189 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.