What rifle are you planning to purchase next?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by IowaShooter, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

My son is heavy into the AR platform
    He just brought up a 6.5 Greedmore he finished last night.

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

I ordered the gun and the conversion kit so that I can use my P226 mags. Hopeful I'll be able to pick it up sometime this week. I probably won't modify it quite as much as you have, but I'm definitely going to do a few things. I've bought from MCARBO before and really liked the spring kit they sent me for my T/C Compass. I went ahead and ordered a spring kit and one of those red recoil buffers for the Sub 2K. At 9-10lb, I doubt I'd like the factory trigger. Even if it's not super nice and crisp, I can probably live with the 4.75lbs the MCARBO kit claims to bring it down to. I'll probably add a stainless steel feed ramp and a bolt tube cover too.

Txhillbilly likes this.

3. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Well-Known Member

The first cheap pre-Freedom Group S/A Remington 700 I find. A buddy who shoots competitively is giving me an HS Precision PST025 stock that he had laying around (his sponser give him all sorts of spendy stuff)

4. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm having a hell of a hard time deciding, definitely want a new squirrel gun. I intend to never buy another right handed gun so my opinions are super limited. There's the savage mk2, but I kind of want a better looking gun. I could get a browning t bolt but I'm only finding them in .22 mag and .17 hmr, which I could live with. I cant find a anschutz I like so I'm giving up on that. I'd really like a cz 452 but I cant find one for sale anywhere.

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Another old-school .22 hornet, BSA/Australian/? cadet rifle in .22LR, or Browning .22 auto in .22 short. Money is an object, so it's probably be yet another POS project rifle.
    Double Deuces are one of my many weaknesses. As are percussion, flinters, old pellet guns, and gasoline-powered lawn equipment that won't start.

6. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

I am NOT planning on buying another rifle. I have a rifle currently I'd like to re-do in slightly different configuration.
    It is a 1950s or early 60s sort of sporter. It has an ex-military Mauser 98 action; after market tiger stripe maple stock (50s style) with contrasting forend tip and grip cap. Rebarreled to .243 Win. I'm considering re-bareling it to 7x57mm Mauser, putting a better trigger in it cleaning up the stock (dings and age, nothing serious) and a scope safety and better scope.

So I'm picky.

Shopfox and towboater like this.
  7. jackrich3

jackrich3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Been considering the Brownells AR-10. Had my heart set on an M1-A, but the price point doesn’t square up with a heavy rifle with mediocre accuracy. The only drawback with the AR-10, you’d better be happy with peep sights.

Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Why would you have to be happy with peep sights? The AR platform's are as simple as it gets to put a variety of optical sights on them.

Gatoragn likes this.
  9. jackrich3

jackrich3 Well-Known Member Supporter

The Brownells AR-10 has a carry handle and charging handle on top.

10. Txhillbilly

I guess if you're wanting a "Retro" style firearm,then you are stuck with how Brownells makes theirs.
    I'd stick with a Flat Top upper receiver,it just allows the shooter more choices. You can put whatever style of furniture you want on it,if you want a retro style or something else.

Shopfox likes this.
  11. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I just saw an email from Brownells, the retro rifles are on sale

12. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Im still thinking a .450 BM of some sort.
    RAR in a Magpul w Anarchy bolt handle might be cool.

13. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

Probably not going to be a whole rifle or even a rifle. I’m thinking about a 10mm pistol upper for an AR pistol. For a short range deer gun.

Shopfox, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  14. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Funny.
    There was only two rifle's
    I had planned their purchase.
    Neither I have today.
    As for Unplanned?
    Some I have had for over 28 years.

So am I planner?
    I dont think so.
    To plan means you have expectations and most expectations leads to disappointments
    Im more of a Whimmer?
    Oppertunist?
    With not near the level of expectations of a Planner.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Shopfox likes this.
  15. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Maybe a 7 mag Savage heavy bbl, try an SWFA SS10X on it.
    Or go .264 or .257 mag.
    Just something to mess with.

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Shooter,

Tell her good shooting! And you best behave by the looks of it!:p
    But I have to admit after carrying the 92-F and 96-F Pistols for years on the Metro PD. And being in the Firearms Instructor in the Training Division. They do have a different grip angle on them and sometimes the grip is a little large for a lady or smaller person's grip. Which causes some issues as far shooting left or right of a smaller target like the Orange Dot Targets. Of course in a tactical self defense situation it would make little if any difference. Since we are not shooting for a tight group anyway. But great group never the less!:D And the Beretta 92s are good pistols.
    I will share this with you however. When we switched to the Model 22 and 23 Glock Pistols from the Beretta 96-F Pistol the scores across the board on the Department went up 11%. As you know if she does not have a pistol of her own she should try several for the fit.;) She obviously has great shooting skill!
    Once again you better keep Annie Oakley HAPPY!:D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  17. Double20

Double20 Active Member

Earlier in the thread, I stated that I was thinking about a Henry Golden Boy .22 or an AR in .223 Wylde or 6.8 SPC. Well, still don't have the Golden Boy but I got an AR in 6.8 SPC. Great round. My intention on getting the 6.8 was to deer hunt with it instead of my Remington R25 (AR-10) .308 since almost all of my shots are under 100 yards and the 6.8 being AR-15 would be lighter, shorter, and more maneuverable in the woods. Well, my wife had been hunting deer with an AR in 5.56/.223 using 64 grain Winchester power points. We knew this was a marginal deer round but she killed both deer she shot with it. The first deer was a small deer and the bullet broke both front shoulders and exited on a 50 yard shot. Second deer was a pretty big 9 point that she shot at 30 yards. The bullet entered behind the near front leg and went diagonally through the chest and lodged in the far shoulder without exiting. Fortunately, there was a fresh snow on (unusual for this area) and we could follow his tracks in the snow. He only went about 80 yards and we found him dead but even with the snow on, there was very little blood coming out the entrance wound and the few specks of blood we saw on the white snow would have been missed on brown leaves. When we opened him up, his lungs were toast and his chest cavity full of blood. But it got me to thinking that on a longer shot with a deer that size quartering more with more body to penetrate that this could have very easily turned into a lost deer with a less than perfect hit and little blood to follow due to no exit wound.

So the 6.8 I bought for me went to my wife and she killed a 6 point buck with it this past fall with a 60 yard shot that penetrated completely and practically blew the heart in half. I got my deer with the old long, heavy R25 .308 that I was hoping to downsize out of. So initially I was going to get another 6.8 for me but another option caught my eye. A factor in considering this option is that I sometimes travel back to Ohio and deer hunt there with my Dad and Uncle. Ohio only lets you use shotgun slug, muzzleloader, or straight wall cartridge. No bottleneck cartridges so no 6.8 SPC. However, the .350 Legend is legal in Ohio and from all accounts is a competent deer round out to 150 yards or so. Since almost all of my shots are under 100 yards, I decided I could cheaply (relatively speaking) get into a .350 Legend and have an AR-15 based deer rifle that I could use not only here in Missouri but also back in Ohio. So I ordered a .350 Legend upper for around $200. I can use my lower, charging handle, and bolt/bolt carrier group from my 5.56/.223 AR with this upper. I have a scope laying around that I can put on it. For another $100 I got a 5 round magazine, 40 rounds, and scope mount for it. So when everything gets here in about 2 weeks, I'll have another AR rifle in .350 Legend.

Shopfox and towboater like this.
  18. G8rBo

G8rBo New Member

My list is always fluid and changing, but right now a CZ in .22 hornet, or a Kimber Hunter in .257 Roberts. They’re roughly the same price, sooooo.......

Rifling82 likes this.
  19. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Son ordered a Beowolf upper for a lower he has.

If things work out I might also go with a Beowolf.

Stopping undesired vehicles might be a need to have ability someday.

SRK97 likes this.
  20. Txhillbilly