Firearms Talk banner

What revolver would you suggest

4K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  BeyondTheBox 
#1 ·
Buying revolver

#2 ·
depends on the usage of the revolver and what your budget is.

how much experiance do you have with revolvers, and what calibers?

because depending on what you are wanting it for, would be helpful in making suggestions for something suited to your particular needs.

#4 ·
For general purpose use, a Ruger GP-100 is hard to beat.

It has a rock solid action and, while it is possible to destroy one, it can take abuse that would damage or disable most other designs. It's not lightweight, but it wasn't designed to be.

The Super Redhawk is an industrial grade .44 Magnum. Ruger has other chamberings for the Super Redhawk platform, but most Academy, Wal-Mart, and online ammunition sales brokers have .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Special, and .44 Magnum ammunition. If you decide to get a revolver in an uncommon caliber, expect premium ammunition prices and difficulty obtaining ammunition at times.

S&W makes a variety of concealable, compact, space-age revolvers that employ exotic materials to reduce weight. My experience with these is that while they are definitely easier to carry, they're not much fun to shoot for any extended length of time. S&W also makes working guns with 7 or 8 shot capacity. All that I have shot were very nice, smooth operating, well-made guns.

#5 ·
As stated by others above, without more info as to the primary use for this gun, it's difficult to make a meaningful recommendation; however, in my opinion, the best general purpose, all around most useful handgun a person can own is a good quality .357 magnum with a 4" barrel. I am partial to Smith and Rugers.

#10 ·
I would go with the 357 mag for all around protection, plus you can also shoot 38 special in practice.

Like some others posted I like the Ruger GP100.

#12 ·
Smith & Wesson .500 magnum

No offense and none taken
If someone needs a bear killing handgun, this is the ticket, sure.

But if you are NOT a hiker or a camper, then this is the very worst handgun you could ever get for all other applications.

The very best handgun on the other hand (no pun intended) for most applications is the Glock 17 or the CZ 75, depending only on whether your are neo-modern or old school, respectively -- which is a 9x19mm.

Those are the two extremes of handgun usage for practical purposes, the one for defense against bears, the other involving people.

Revolvers don't make sense anymore, other than for bears, unless a person is not competent with the operation of a pistol, in which case if so then a Smith & Wesson 38 special would be the ticket.

#13 ·
If someone needs a bear killing handgun, this is the ticket, sure.

But if you are NOT a hiker or a camper, then this is the very worst handgun you could ever get for all other applications.

The very best handgun on the other hand (no pun intended) for most applications is the Glock 17 or the CZ 75, depending only on whether your are neo-modern or old school, respectively -- which is a 9x19mm.

Those are the two extremes of handgun usage for practical purposes, the one for defense against bears, the other involving people.

Revolvers don't make sense anymore, other than for bears, unless a person is not competent with the operation of a pistol, in which case if so then a Smith & Wesson 38 special would be the ticket.
without knowing his needs or wants in a revolver, there is no way of knowing what is the best suggestion.

i need to buy a truck. what is the best truck for me?

#14 ·
without knowing his needs or wants in a revolver, there is no way of knowing what is the best suggestion.

i need to buy a truck. what is the best truck for me?
A tanker with a full load of fuel.:rolleyes:

#15 ·
I hate to be so blunt. If you don't know why you don't need a gun, you don't need that gun.
C'mon John. You enjoy being blunt and I for one dont fault you for it.

#16 ·
If you really can't decide, or need it for multiple purposes, get a few .22;s, some .38's, a few .357's, some .44 specials, some .44 magnums, and some .45 colt's, and several barrel lengths for each caliber. Maybe a .500 S&W to do a buffalo and your mother-in-law (but I repeat myself)...
;)

#18 ·
For a first revolver, I would buy a police/security trade-in. It won't break the bank, you use the balance of your money to buy ammo, and you can learn as good on a used gun as a new gun.

I bought a perfect S&W model 65-2 for three hundred fifty dollars and I don't think it could be improved on for any amount of money.

#20 ·
Why is he looking for a revolver? From his name I would think he should be looking for a Walther PPK.:D

#22 ·
ruger gp100 no question. loaded with buffalo bore hardcast for camping.

if your in griz country a ruger in 460 or 500

#24 ·
I would be using it for home defense and camping, and all around fun. My budget is about 600-800.
new, i'd recommend the GP100 in 357 Mag., with a 4" or 6" barrel. 4" would be handier.

that or maybe a used Smith & Wesson like a Model 19, a 66, or a 586 or a 686 in 357 Mag. a new S&W would probably exceed your budget, butyou should be able to find a nice used one in your budget range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.