What Remington 700 model is this exactly?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TurmTurm, Jul 16, 2014.

1. TurmTurm

TurmTurm New Member

Unfired, brand new. Person wants to trade this for a laptop I own and what to figure out the exact value/model. Person just keeps saying standard 700 model.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

first of all welcome to FTF!:D
    stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone when you get a chance.

second, that looks to be a M700 SPS in stainless steel. it actually is a fairly standard offering from Remington. the rifle itself has an MSRP of $838 which new in the store could be anywhere from about 15-25% less than that.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-stainless.aspx

so NIB, about $625-725 would probably be the asking price is my guess.

so you need to determine if your laptop is worth that or more. just my thoughts, laptops lose value very quickly due to advancements in computers and technology. they depreciate quicker than a new car. so what is cutting edge today in the store is old news and obsolete by next year. that rifle isn't going to depreciate in value near as much, and will actually hold better value in the long run much better than the laptop will.

personally, i'd make the trade in heartbeat.

3. TurmTurm

TurmTurm New Member

The laptop I have is almost brand new, around 1200 brand new. Person is offering the rifle, 350 cash and two pretty standard 9x scopes.

4. TurmTurm

TurmTurm New Member

bushnell 9x scope and Remington 9x scope to be exact.

5. Axxe55

i'd take the trade for sure. in about a year, that laptop might be worth about $300-400. the rifle will still be worth worth well north of $600 if kept in good condition. plus getting $350 cash in trade as well, that's just icing on the cake. the scopes are okay, but not a huge bunch of money.

i'd definately make the trade on those terms without hesitation.

6. TurmTurm

TurmTurm New Member

Thanks for your insight, much appreciated!

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

That 300 Remington Ultra Mag will have a decent amount of recoil,and ammo isn't very cheap either. Unless you reload,or really have a need for such a caliber,I'd rethink about trading a Laptop for it.
    That caliber is overkill for everything smaller than elk,moose,or grizzly's. Just my $.02!

8. TurmTurm

TurmTurm New Member

Does it matter if its a certain caliber? Its a 300 mag (value wise)

9. Txhillbilly

Not really. That rifle in that particular stock will kick like a pissed off mule in that caliber,if you're not knowledgeable about the different calibers.
    It's not a 300 Winchester magnum,it's a Remington Ultra mag. That caliber holds about 15 grains more powder than a 300 Winchester magnum,and you will feel every grain of it on your end.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  10. TurmTurm

TurmTurm New Member

I did notice that, cheapest is about 2$ a round.

11. Axxe55

what i just pulled up off Gallery of Guns, it doesn't look like the caliber makes that an issue as far as price on the MSRP. now in the stores, the caliber may be a difference in pricing, depending on what calibers are popular and which aren't. if a say for example, rifles in 30-06 and 270 are the most popular calibers that sell fast and a 300 Win. Mag sells very rarely, and the store has to order one, vs. stocking them, they may run a bit higher than the same rifle he normally stocks in 30-06 and 270.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...Model+700+Special+Purpose+Syn+Stainless+Steel

just a word of advice, that rifle is chambered in 300 Ultra Mag. and isn't intechangeable with the 300 Win. Mag. that rifle was offered in both. and on a side note, that is going to be an expensive rifle to shoot, unless you reload for it.

12. TurmTurm

TurmTurm New Member

How much do simple reload kits start at?

13. Txhillbilly

I'm not trying to talk you out of trading for it,but if you haven't shot larger magnum calibers,you are in for a big surprize when it comes to recoil with a light weight rifle.
    I used to shoot a couple different 300 Winchester magnums,One I shot long range with - It weighed 17 lbs,and was pretty pleasant to shoot all day,but it would wear you out after an all day event. My hunting rifle weighed in around 9 lbs,and even with a muzzle brake,it would get your attention when fired.
    The recoil from the Ultra Mag will not be comfortable to shoot in that type of platform,and for a novice larger caliber shooter,can give you some really bad habits,that are hard to break once you develop them.

14. Axxe55

first thing would be buy the book, "The ABC's of Reloading" to start off with. read it several times before venturing into buying anything. here are some threads to read over that might give you some insight into reloading.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/new-reloading-l-k-here-15130/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/press-right-me-answer-39222/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-101-great-starting-point-27166/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-costs-108353/
    those are some really good points he does need to consider and i agree very much. but even if i didn't need or neccesarily need that larger magnum caliber, i would still make the trade, simply because it would be valuable trading material for something in a less punishing of a caliber. i would still make the trade, and then either trade it or sell it, and buy something different. playing ones cards right, and a person could make out like a bandit on this deal.

15. TurmTurm

TurmTurm New Member

What muzzle brakes would you suggest then?

16. Txhillbilly

The problem is finding someone that wants that particular caliber,unless the OP is in an area that big magnum calibers sell fast,he could get stuck with it or take a beating on the value of it.
    There are plenty of gun shops that have them collecting dust around here. Very few people have an interest in them.

Any good gunsmith can install a good muzzle brake on that rifle,but also note,when you put a brake on it,you just lost a good deal of value on the rifle in most cases.

17. TurmTurm

TurmTurm New Member

I do live in Minnesota so there are plenty of areas around here where it can be used, especially in the Northern area. Are there any stocks that can recommend that would help with the recoil?

18. Txhillbilly

There are many aftermarket stocks that will work well with that rifle,it all depends on what you want,and how much you want to spend.
    Weight will be your friend with that caliber,but it's also your enemy if you plan on hunting with it if you are walking/stalking for long distances.

Look here,they have a large selection of different brand stocks at all different price ranges.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

19. TurmTurm

TurmTurm New Member

Thanks a bunch man.

20. Axxe55

i agree with Hillbilly and would also recommend Boyd's Gun Stocks. weight is your friend with larger and magnum calibers. i have used the Boyd's stocks on two of my rifles and am very pleased with them. Boyd's is also a vendor here on FTF.

a muzzle brake would be a good addition as well, as long as it's done properly by a compentent gunsmith.