What range should I zero my .22 at?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by michaelwahl, Sep 8, 2011.

1. michaelwahl

michaelwahl New Member

I'm new to shooting and I recently bought a remington 597 and put an osprey scope on it. I was just wondering where I should zero it in at? I've heard 60 yards, some say 100 yards. I don't know how much the bullet drops at 100 yards for sure but someone told me around 7 inches. Someone give me an idea please.

2. unclebear

unclebear New Member

depends on what you need, the scope I have that I use on my 22 is sighted in at 50 yards dead on. I only use the scope for hunting rabbits, squirrels, and muskrats, I use iron for everything else.

3. michaelwahl

michaelwahl New Member

I'm just wondering what would be ideal? Probably between 50-75 yrds?

4. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

The ideal is, as stated above, depends on you or your intended use. If you will be taking 100 yard shots then that is the ideal. If you are taking 30 yards, then...

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

.22's don't shoot very flat which means the bullet rises a bit in a very short range then begins to drop,so if you sighted it in for lets say 100 yards,you would be really really high at say 25 yards,just keep that in mind if you want to hunt with it or something.I'd say 50 yards is more ideal for a .22.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Zero it at 50 yards.

7. michaelwahl

michaelwahl New Member

Thank you.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For .22 LR, as the man said- 50 yards.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You're welcome. Get it zeroed in and shoot the snot out of it.

If you find 50 yards is not your optimal distance, re-zero.

It all comes with accumulated trigger time. Plus our shooting style/preference changes with experience.

Come back to this thread when you find your "happy place" sight-in distance.

10. SgtSam

SgtSam New Member

50 yards is a good distance. I personally use 75 as I find it works best for me. 100 is OK if you're doing most of your shooting at 100 yards. However, as has been stated, you'll be a little high in closer. But 50 has it's limitations too.

CCI Mini-Mags, according to their catalog, when at a 75 yd zero, are a 3.3" low at 100 yds, 1.4" high at 50, and 0.7" high at 25. That's why I like the 75 zero. It's quite easy to compensate for these small increments.

But, you takes your chances and lives with the results. Good Luck!

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

40 yard dash.......

What do you hunt, what would your target be. I have a 22 lr that will shoot doves on the ground at 100 yards...... the next is set at 40 yards for squirrels for head shots....What are your plans......

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

As most have said, 50 yards is about the best distance for a .22. That's the main reason most "rimfire-specific" scopes have the parallax set up for 50.

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Twenty Five Yards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. montveil

montveil New Member

If you use high Velocity ammo ~1250 ft /sec and have a scope, you can zero at 20 yards. It saves a lot of walking.
    At the muzzle, the bullet will be low and at 20 yards the line of sight will coincide with the bullet path.
    The bullet will continue to rise over the line of sight ~ 1/2 inch at 40 yards and then drop back to the line of sight at ~ 67 yards and continue to drop more rapidly after that.
    Using this info the bullet will never be outside a 1 inch circle---If your rifle and ammo will do it and IF you can do it.
    This is theory and every ammo acts differently in each rifle but it is where I would start. After your initial sight in verify at 75 and 100 yards.

Have fun

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Knowing where the bullet intersects the line of sight also depends on scope/sight height. Zeroing a scope based on this info is impossible as each rifle may have a different scope height. Keep it simple, 50 yards. At 75 yards you can use a holdover, put the horizontal hair on top of the target. It is not perfect, but it works for plinking.

16. montveil

montveil New Member

I agree with the last post in that you have to do range work for final zero.
    My post was intended to give a starting point at a closer range for preliminary work. By showing some dynamics of the 22lr round the new shooter might understand how the line of sight crosses the trajectory twice and how the apex of the arc is further downrange than the midpoint due to the bullet slowing.
    The shooter must decide on the nominal range he will be shooting and adjust the zero based on his needs. All this is academic IF the shooter is punching paper as then the needed zero would be at the target range.
    All this is really splitting hairs if one is hunting or plinking as human range estimation will be the largest variable, especially past 100 yards when the bullet slows rapidly and begins dropping very quickly.

17. Jay

Jay New Member

18. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I zero at no less than 75 yards. Gives a bit over 1" high in between and about 3" low at 100. But, I like shooting at longer ranges than most, it seems. I'm currently zeroed at 100 yards and usually shoot between 100 and 200.

19. jpattersonnh

Oh my! >>>>>>>>

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  20. jpattersonnh

What length barrel? If there is a deviation of 100fps, your info means nothing. KISS is the best way, 50 yards. I'm a serious ballistics guy, but what you a proposing is that all things are equal. They are not.

Same as above! How does velosity effect the data? Does barrel length effect velosity? Does the action effect velosity? I'm not sure how you guys come up w/ these finite numbers. It's a .22lr, not a sniper rifle!

So you zero at 75 yards, but you can be 1" high to 3" low at 100 yards? Now I am really confused. Does gravity not really exist where you live?