What primer to use?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by barmanvarn, Jan 16, 2013.

1. barmanvarn

barmanvarn New Member

Brand new to reloading and I'm still in the research phase, so please be patient while I'm learning. :)

I know that for what I'm reloading first (9mm), I need to use small pistol primer.

My question, other than using the correct type of primer (small/large/etc), does the brand (Federal, Win, CCI, etc) play into the recipe?

I ask because I was researching powder and the recipes listed a specific primer maker for that powder, bullet, and type (9mm). I think it was Winchester in this example, can't remember for sure.

So my question is what if I substitured the Winchester w/ say Federal? Does this alter the recipe?

I'm thinking the answer is no, but I wanted to check w/ the experts.

thanks in advance.

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

CCI are the best IMHO.

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

There are other threads with a lot of reloading info. Do a forum search. Lots of smart folks here.

4. barmanvarn

barmanvarn New Member

Thanks, and I apologize for saying this, but that does not answer my question.

I'm not asking which primer brand is better than the other.

I'm asking if the brand determines the recipe (ie. powder/grains to use for a given bullet).

That being said, I'll keep CCI in mind. :D

5. barmanvarn

barmanvarn New Member

Thanks. I'm a mod on some other forums (not related to firearms) and I promise I did a search first. I wasn't finding anything that specifically addressed my question. Maybe it's on here somewhere and I could just be blind.

Summary, I did my best to research this before creating a thread.

thanks

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Of course these days you use what you can get your hands on.
    From a quality standpoint, AFAIK, the usual suspects are fine. NOTE: There are some quirks with Remington primers that I don't care for. YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  7. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I have used different primers with same powders or different powders mixed them all. Never any problem. Might get technical for rifle bench rest, but otherwise no worry in performance in 9mm.
    Magnum primer are for mags.
    You do not need to fret about asking for more specific info.

8. barmanvarn

barmanvarn New Member

Thanks to Overkill and 25-5. I think you've answered by question.

Background of why I was asking....I'm getting very close to loading my first rounds and, as you know, components are hard to come by right now and I was getting sick of waiting.

So I found some primers and bought them, but the powder I was looking at used a diff primer in its loading guide.

thanks again for the assistance!

9. Popeye77

Popeye77 New Member

If you are starting with a reduced load as you should be, and working up it should be no problem. If you are starting with a maximum recommended load you may have a problem and it might not be the primer. I never change components in a full house load without working up to it. Different firearms can react differently to the same loads. My .02

10. barmanvarn

barmanvarn New Member

Yes, I definately plan on starting w/ a reduced/light load and working my way up.

11. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I'm using CCI and Federal Match primers with Alliant powders and both brands have worked without failures of any kind.

Good luck and be safe!!

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used Remington primers exclusively for over 30 years without a single issue.:):)

13. Overkill0084

Oh, they work ok. I just detest the fine print issue w/ the 6 1/2 & 1 1/2. If your unfamiliar with the issues with them, you get stuck with a brick of primers you shouldn't use. Maybe they could just make SP & SR Primers that aren't restricted to certain calibers? That would be swell.

14. locutus

The 1 1/2 is small pistol standard and the 5 1/2 is small pistol magnum.

The 6 1/2 is a standard small rifle. The 7 1/2 is a magnum small rifle primer. It's also MilSpec. The 9 1/2 is large rifle standard, and also MilSpec. 9 1/2 M is large rifle magnum.

And I agree they should just mark them standard and magnum to avoid confusion.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I use magnum primers for everything. I do not start at max. But I have worked up plenty of hot loads. A lot of people do that. The reason for me is I simply load too many calibers. I would have to stock just about every primer there is.

16. Overkill0084

The 6 1/2 is "sort of" standard small rifle. If your small rifle is a .22 hornet.
    Because the .22 Hornet is so common these days, it deserves it's own primer. :rolleyes:
    I suppose I can use my remaining 900 6 1/2s for magnum pistol loads.

Then there is the 1 1/2s:
    The .40 S&W is not a magnum cartridge. In fact one must ask if 9 mm loads are safe with them, since it operates at similar pressures.

This all would be less of a problem if Remington made this info a bit easier to find. I made the discovery with the 6 1/2s just wandering around the internet. I go home & sure enough, fine print.
    In my ignorance, I believed that when a primer is designated "Small Rifle" it should not be a huge leap of faith to assume that would include .223.
    This of explains why they were the only small rifle primers available that day. In my innocence, I just assumed that it was because Remingtons are typically more expensive then their competition.

Note: the warnings are from the Midway USA site.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  17. locutus

I simply use the MilSpec 7 1/2 for all small rifle applications.

I am not allowed to discuss my use of or experience with the 1 1/2 by the mods.

All I can say is that after some very bad experiences with CCI,:( I switched to exclusive use of Remington primers more than 30 years ago, and they've never let me down.:):)