What Presses

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Fisherking, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I thought I would start a thread on what reloading presses people started with , are using now and what they would like to get and why.

I started reloading using a Lee aneversery Kit Because it was Cheep to get into reloading, Then I got a Lyman All American Which I realy like Because u can speed up yor reloading. It has 4 positions.
    I have ordered but not gotten yet a Hornady AP progressive. I have read a lot about various Progerssives and settled on this one 1 for cost I have read endless reviews and 85% have givin it 5 stars and realy no prtoblems with it. There are a few negative reviews but these are so few that it makes me belive it might be " User Error".
    So there are my reloading presses.
    F.K.

2. fmj

fmj New Member

I started with and still use a Lee 3 hole turret with auto index....picked it up with .357 carbide dies for $25 :D

3. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

Dillon presses are good had 2 so far havnt been let down yet.

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Started and lived with a Rcbs rockchucker for ten years. Picked up a lee classic turret two years ago.....never once used it.

Dropped the loot a month ago on a Dillon 650, casefeeder, strongmount, roller handle, and bullet tray.

Instead of 100-125 /hr single stage.
    It's 150 in ten minutes or so.

DILLON.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i started in the late 80s with a rcbs rock chucker loading for 458 winchester magnum. i still use it today loading 458 30-06. ten years ago i bought a dillon xl650. i love both machines

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I started with a Lee hand press. Then my wife gave me a Rock Chucker and a bunch of other goodies for Christmas. That was about 3 years ago. This June she gave me a Lee 5000 Progressive. I only use it for .45 ACP. It is a real high maintenance machine. I have to watch it carefuly to make sure it is doing everything it should be. But I am actually pretty happy with it. The whole thing with the dies and powder measure and everything was something like $150.00. But I still use the rock chucker for everything but 45ACP.

7. wooleybooger

wooleybooger New Member

i started with a lyman 6-hole a friend gave me when his job moved him out of state. Ive since picked up a lyman single and 2 Lees. one lee is a 4 hole i use for revolver and the other a 3 hole progressive i use for 45acp and 223. the lyman 6-hole i rarely use anymore.

8. redneckly33

redneckly33 New Member

I started out all wrong. I bought a Dillon 550. I had never reloaded anything in my life. Boy was it ever tough. I was nervous as a Cat on a hot tin roof. I didn't know what I was doing and trying to watch 6 or 7 different functions at one time. After a bout 2 months I begain to settle down and really got into it. Later I could see the need for a single stage press and bought a Lee. I have advised several people that wanted to make the same mistake I made. Get a single stage first. Learn to reload and then move up if you feel the need.

9. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Started with an RCBS single stage C press.
    Now have the RCBS, A Dillon 550B, and a Lyman 3 stage turret.

10. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

press

Started with a single stage Rockchucker in '84 and am still using it. I shoot mostly bolt rifles so I'm not sure I need a turret or progressive. I'm sure they would speed things up but I kind of enjoy the way I do it now. I do from time to time look at progressive presses, maybe some day.

11. TXJohn

TXJohn New Member

Started with a Lee Reloader went to a RCBS Reloader 3 then got a rockchucker and have been using ever since I do have a Lee Challanger for a back up dont know why tha rockchucker will out live me.

12. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

years and years ago I started with the lee loader for 45 colt. Now I have two Dillons a 550 and a Square deal.

13. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Very Nice wish I had those two.

14. readygirl

readygirl New Member

New reloader ?

Thinking of buying myself one for Christmas, ive been using my dads old HORNADY shotshell loader for years, but would like to get one to have at my house, that way i can watch QVC and load away. I have been told that DILLON makes some nice ones, want to buy a good one that will last, so dont mind spending a little xtra. I load 12ga shells, and would like to be able to load 45ACP, and 45LC, any suggestions or info would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For the most part, shotshell loaders and metallic cartridge loaders are not interchangeable. For metallic cartridges, Dillon is the best (IMHO). It depends on how much volume you need to produce. The RL-550 is a great loader and will crank out 500+ rounds an hour. If you need more volume, the RL-650 is very good. I feel the 650 is a little less versitile than the 550. I have an old RL-450 (pre-550). I load everything from .380 ACP to .44 Mag and .223 to .30-06.
    For shotgun, the MEC loaders are hard to beat. I use a 600 JR. The 700 is really nice. Most folks do not need a progressive shotgun loader. The Dillon shotgun loader is super nice, but expensive.

16. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Oh... so what your saying is i would need 2 seperate loaders , guess i will concentrate on the shotshells for now, and take a look at the MEC -Thank You.

17. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I started and still currently using an RCBS single stage.

18. fmj

fmj New Member

Yep, gonna need 2. I dont know much of anything about shotshell loaders. But i do know that it is VERY hard to beat Lee for price and quality...at least as far as the press and dies are concerned. I am not sold on the powder measure.

I wouldnt suggest setting watching tv or anything else outside of a radio/music in the background while reloading. You should keep your concentration on what your doing. Watching the tube and loading could be a recipe for disaster.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  19. 1982flh80

1982flh80 New Member

Ahh... The joy of "rollin' yer own". I used to watch my dad reloading ammo for all the guys at deer camp every october with his CH "C" press. Still have it stored in a box in my reloading bench. I use his old CH, Herters and Shooters Supply dies in various calibers for my loading sessions. My press of choice is a Lee challenger purchased 22 yrs ago. Been goin' strong ever since. Recently purchased a Classic turret semi progressive from Lee. Set it up for pistol ammo only. Cranks out the ammo to the tune of about 130 rounds an hour on a good day with no coffee breaks (nyuk nyuk). To all newbies. Start out with a single stage. Purchase a press set up with all the accessories such as scale, case trimmer, case length gauge etc. Look on craigs list or ebay even local estate sales or gun shows for reloading equipment. Nothing wrong with used equipment provided it wasn't abused. A friend of mine bought a Lyman orange crush single stage press for $25.00 bucks at a local gun show 5 yrs ago. Picked up some .308 RCBS dies @ Dicks and he was off to the races. Loves his Lyman and has since purchased a variety of Lyman components. RCBS, Hornady,Lee, CH4D, REDDING! (imo the best) are all good choices. Just stay away from the bargain basement chink made crap!:)

Attached Files: