What press do you use?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Rifling82, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Took a few pics of my reloading area today. I still use two Lee turret presses for all my needs,but use my rifle press like a single stage. Got a RCBS Uniflow,Redding BR3,and a Hornady electronic powder dispenser,don't ever use the Hornady it just collects dust. I have several scales both beam and digital,but mainly use the old Pacific/Hornady beam scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I keep all my precision rifle load data in 3 ring binders along with various load manuals in one cabinet,and all my primers in another one right above the bench.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I keep 500 - 1000 primed ready to load cases in ammo cases under the reloading bench,and all the big ammo boxes have 600 - 1000+ rounds of loaded ammo in them ready to shoot for everything I have.

[​IMG]

OLD Ron, AgedWarrior, locutus and 2 others like this.
  2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

TX

Very, Very, Nice! I am jealous! That is a complement!:) Very well organized makes my little loading area minuscule! Simply do not have that great room you have but would love to have something set up like you do! When I load shotgun shells I have to switch out presses and move things around.
    CONGRATS!:)
    Thanks for the Pictures I am drooling!:rolleyes:

OLD Ron, Txhillbilly and Rifling82 like this.

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

My first and only press is Dillon 650. Absolutely love it.

locutus, Txhillbilly and Rifling82 like this.
  4. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Damn TX, nice set up!

Txhillbilly likes this.
  5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Thanks fellas, I built this shop - 14'x24' ten or eleven years ago and made sure to allocate plenty of room for my reloading activities after spending decades reloading in a smaller space. My reloading bench is 8' long x 2' deep,and then I have the entire back wall for storage,and work bench. I also have another 8' long work bench on the other side of the shop.

OLD Ron, oO_Rogue_Oo and Rifling82 like this.
  6. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

I have two Dillion XL 650 presses. One left on large primer, one for small primer. The XL 650s are great once a load is determined. Rather clumsy for doing test loads. (Five this way, five for second series, five for third...)

I don't load for .45 ACP anymore. I have four hundred or so rounds of my daily carry ammo and my practice load is hardball. Buying lots of 500 or 1000 rounds is easier on me than cranking the handle for several hours.

I do have a load for .257 Roberts I may set up on the 650 and grind them out. But it's a determined load. Same with 7.62x39mm (150 grain soft point load).

I'm torn for making up small quantities of test loads. I have a Dillon 450 AT, which is Dillon's version of a turret press (stripped down 550, really) and it works well. Except it requires a separate shell plate for each different cartridge head size. I have a lot of calibers.

Then I have a old CH press. It is a heavy press and will resize the Loch Ness monster. I use it for case reforming as needed (I have a couple 6.5x53mmR rifles, no ammunition or cases made). And it will charge, seat and crimp as needed.

And I have brass and bullets for a bunch of rifle calibers. Storage shelves.

OLD Ron, AgedWarrior and Rifling82 like this.
  7. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Active Member

I have been trying to wear out my RCBS Rockchucker for years, but I am fairly certain it will outlive me. I load most everything on it, and some pistol loading and decapping on an old RCBS Junior. I use an RCBS Powder Measure and most all my rifle dies are Redding and pistol are RCBS. I enjoy reloading and I do not hurry, but I can easily keep up with supplying all my ammo all the time...and I shoot a lot. Here in NW Iowa, I spend a lot of winter loading so I can shoot the other months.
    I weigh every precision rifle load and every tenth for most handgun cartridges just to keep the measure honest.

In my life I have loaded more than twenty different calibers. I record all desired loads in my cookbooks, and retain testing data that includes test conditions.

I have considered a turret press might be a useful upgrade...been thinking about it off and on for ten tears or so, you can see how that’s going...nowhere.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  8. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice thing about a 650... Every drop is the same as the last drop. I didn't load 9 for a year, almost to the day, put the plate back in, first drop, .1 light. poured the powder back in, 2nd drop was spot on. I check every 100 or so, and they are always exactly the same. Would I trust it for precision rifle, doubt it, but then I don't shoot precision rifle matches.

AgedWarrior and Rifling82 like this.
  9. AgedWarrior

Yeah, lots of people are real happy with the 650, it’s good equipment. But I am happy with what I use and how I work. I don’t have to check powder throws as often as I do it, but I choose to...even though it stays consistent all the time.

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Convert your Rock Chucker with the Hornady Lock N Load bushing and a Case Kicker and you'll forget all about a turret press.

AgedWarrior likes this.
  11. AgedWarrior

That is an interesting option for some, I am personally not fond of the Hornady Lock N Load system...I think I am just old fashioned.:)

12. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Well I have to admit; I had one bushing that the lugs began to wear down in (after about 20 or 30 K rounds). I called Hornady and they replaced it. This one has at least twice that on it now without issue. It holds it's settings well and has been trouble free. Makes change overs very fast although it does add expense. Retail the bushings are about $3 each. The case kicker has also been trouble free and speeds up loading by a good margin. Got it from Dan at Inline

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Rifling82 likes this.