What press do you use?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Rifling82, Apr 7, 2020.

1. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Two Dillons, A Lyman and a Redding.
    Redding and Hornady powder measures.

I do not weigh individual charges even for my precision rifle loads.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My stuff is so basic you wont believe it. I had a Rock Chucker when I was loading bigger stuff but now it is mostly 38,357 and 223. Occasionally 9mm. I have a basic Lee O press and am using an old Ohaus 505 scale. Still using a hand squeeze primer. Obviously I dont load large scale. I have 300 357 cases primed and ready to load. I will probably finish them over the next couple of days. Most of my shooting is 22lr so I dont need high volumes of CF.

towboater and Rifling82 like this.

3. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Was wondering that myself.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  4. oO_Rogue_Oo

This has got me curious.

On my precision stuff I check case dimensions / trim after every firing. Sort cases, weigh and sort bullets. Uniform flash holes (before first firing); haven't gotten into neck turning but I'm looking at it (it can get a little costly).

I'm curious about your process and what kind of results you're getting out of it?

AgedWarrior and Rifling82 like this.
  5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Rifling
    Pistol & Rifle
    I have used an RCBS Rock Chucker for years.
    And load everything from pistol calibers up to the 338 Lapua Magnum rounds.
    The reason everyone handles parts and dies for the Rockchucker Press.
    But even though it was a little expensive the best money i have ever spent was on Lyman Electronic Powder Dispenser Unit. It stores in it's memory many different loads. So after you enter the Cal and the Load it stores it. You simply select the Cal and load from the memory and it automatically dispenses the exact powder amount. I use to use the Scales. But the scales are tedious, takes forever and hard on the eyes. It saves time and cuts our about 90% of the time to measure powder for the round.
    I simply push the Button, it accurately dispenses the correct amount of powder. Then I pick the Pan off the Scale and pour the powder into my Case Funnel and into the Case. Whala!

Lyman 1200 Powder Scale.jpg

Shotgun
    MEC Reloader - 20 GA.
    Texan Reloader - 12 GA

AgedWarrior, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  6. elfmdl

elfmdl Active Member

I use a RCBS Rockchucker for all my rifle, and a Dillon 550 for pistol. Also have a lee 50 bmg press but haven’t got that one set up yet!

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. xring3

xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I use an RCBS currently. I used to use this old Hollywood press but gave it to my good for nothing stepson who wanted to start reloading. He sold it for $10.00 in a garage sale. Don’t get me started.

OLD Ron, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  8. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Pops has a Hollywood like that, and some monster multi hole turret model. Think he's over 60 reloading presses now (collects/restores them).

I loaded a ton of stuff on an old RCBS A2 and Lyman Spar T. Like leaving dies in a press, so will go back to a Spar T to do a couple handgun cartridges and a T mag for a couple rifle, leave set up all the time.

Bud got a Dillon w a bunch of goodies, and found it too much fiddling swapping back and forth. I suggested the two turret deal like above and he did it, and is very pleased.

He's more of a shooter than tinkerer. I don't mind mechanical stuff, but am older and more cranky/lazy. Scopes like rifles, as "set and forget". I don't have multiple loads per rifle, I don't like changing barrels on shotguns either.

Like each firearm to be set up for a specific task.

Reloading for me is not about cost savings, it's about performance. Once I have arrived....no reason to mess around with other.

Must say, a couple rigs shoot well w factory ammo, so there's no need to reload for them.
    Shrinking a group .2" isn't going to change what happens on a yote or bigger critter.

Got 5 boxes of Fed Fusion to try in my .30-06. Fair chunk to plop down, lotsa people are buy one box and try it out, come back months later to buy another. That might work, might not.

Have found some ammo/rifle combos not particularly lot sensitive (so far). My 760 likes the Hornady stuff and lot to lot has been consistent. $120 for 80 rounds aint fun, but it is what it is, and will last me a while.

I don't target shoot or plink really, have for years and it's just not fun. Doesn't make me shoot better either. I hit the club maybe half a dozen times a year and tend to p*ss everybody off outshooting them.

Its like riding a bike, and within the first mag am back to smooth cruisin. I do work at setting stuff up to fit well. Maybe that helps.

9. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

FWIW when everybody moves out of my dang house, the back room........yes, nice bench w two turret presses, front and center.
    :)

The old A2 and beefy stand, will be in the corner. Its been in my dad's kitchen for 40 yrs or so. It is a fixture in the local gun circles, or used to be. So many are now gone :( Think pops and one other old timer the last of the group.

10. Double20

Double20 Active Member

I don't reload rifle and pistol cartridges in any kind of volume and use a RCBS Partner Press for those. Mainly reload .308 for hunting and .44 mag for hunting with my Henry Lever Action rifle. I do it for a little increased accuracy but mostly for bullet selection. I can load premium bullets at a lower cost than buying loaded ammunition with those same bullets. I also reload 20 gauge shotgun shells with a MEC 600 Jr. Once again not a great volume but feel my reloads for trap/skeet/sporting clays are on par with AA or STS shells for the price of promo dove and field loads. I also can do some specialty hunting loads like using nickel plated #5 1/2 shot or nickel plated #7 shot which aren't commonly found in factory loads.

OLD Ron likes this.
  11. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Two RCBS Rockchuckers side by side. Four MEC shotgun loaders in 12,16, 20, and .410.
    Still have multiple LEE loaders just for fun (10 gauge in particular). Also a Lyman hand tool with hornet dies. Several antique combination bullet mold loaders and roll-crimp loaders you clamp to a table. RCBS Rockchuckers have always been my favorite.

The old orange Lyman stuff just won't wear out even if newer tools are "better". Herter's old reloading stuff was less expensive but somewhat crude and some things were not usable on other presses (some shellholders and dies).

OLD Ron likes this.
  12. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

RCBS press that was bought in a starter's kit about 40 years ago. Hasn't let me down ever and it's loaded thousands of rounds for my .222,son's .223 and 30/30, my 22/250AI,30/30, .270,30/06AI,.270,.303 and 45/70 plus a few other rounds for other people.
    Can't see the sense in running 2 or more presses as I just don't hunt that much so generally wait till I've got a few empties to do then do a heap in 1 hit.

OLD Ron, sheriffjohn and Rifling82 like this.
  13. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I did not coat them myself. They are Hi-tek coated. I buy from a few places that do them.

OLD Ron, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  14. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’ve looked at those powder measurers, pretty cool set up

OLD Ron likes this.
  15. locutus

First time ,loading the brass.
    Sort by weight
    Uniform primer pockets
    Trim to uniform length
    Inside chamfer flash holes
    Outside turn case necks.
    Load normally on Dillon.

After 1st loading,
    wet tumble
    check length and trim if necessary.
    Load on Dillon

3/8 inch groups in my heavy barrel 6mm Remington. (Average of five, five shot groups at 100 yards))

.30-06 (Featherweight model 70) 3/4 inch groups.

OLD Ron, Rifling82 and oO_Rogue_Oo like this.
  16. oO_Rogue_Oo

Not too shabby :)

Must be a pretty consistent powder drop and good metering powder.

Your opinion please; you feel like the neck turning makes a significant difference?

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Unless you have a custom chamber on your barrel,or using non-premium brand brass,neck turning your brass really doesn't have much positive results. It can cause negative results in the life of your brass if your barrel has a commercial spec'd chamber from the necks being turned down smaller than normal diameter.

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. ConfusedCaliber

ConfusedCaliber New Member

I have a Dillon 550B. Suites my needs well.

Rifling82 likes this.
  19. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I gave up on all the electronic powder dispenser's years ago. I've had three different brands,and they never throw correct charges well enough for me.
    For general purpose ammo they work fine,but for precision loads they fail my standards.

I can load 100 cases precisely by hand faster than I can do it with an electronic dispenser and still have to fix it's screwed up charges that are +/- up to .3 grains each time.
    You can watch the scale reading on the electronic units,they will stop dispensing or over dispense powder,and then the scale reading will magically show the intended charge weight.
    If you're wanting single digit ES/SD numbers,you're not going to get them using one of these electronic units. I'll stick with doing it by hand!

20. locutus

I don't honestly know if the neck turning is necessary or not.

The old bench rest shooters that taught me how to work up loads did it, so I guess I just got into the habit of it.

The powders that I use, mostly H335, H380, 4895, 4064 WW760 and H450 all meter well through my measures. Within + or - .03 grains, which seems to work for me.

Rifling82 likes this.