What press do you use?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Rifling82, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’ve got a Dillon Square Deal B, so far I’ve enjoyed it, had a little static issue but I got it grounded good now

towboater likes this.
  2. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

I load single stage only. I use a RCBS Rock Chucker for all pistol calibers and plinking ammo and a Co-Ax for precision ammo. In either case I weigh every charge and I seat and crimp in separate operations. Now the part that will really make you scratch your head; On the Rock Chucker I typically load in 1 to 2K runs depending on caliber. Not a fan of powder drops (although I do own one) or shell plates. Just not precise enough for me. I own a Redding 3BR measure but rarely if ever use it.

towboater, sheriffjohn and Rifling82 like this.

3. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

I use a Dillon for plinking ammo & a Lyman press for rifle loads . I have a Star powder measure that isn't off by 1 gr in hundreds of loads . I check them every 10 to be sure but hasn't let me down yet . Normally I will dribble test loads because I only do about 6 to test .
    It will be nice to get back to some loading when things get in better shape around here .

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  4. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I still have the press I started on, a Hornady single stage. I chose it because of the quick change bushings and its angled frame, seemed more accessible. I have zero complaints. Just do plinking loads now, haven’t got into precision yet but I do plan to. [​IMG]

towboater, Rifling82 and OLD Ron like this.
  5. OLD Ron

That bench is way to clean & organized auston ..... get with the program ! :p

towboater, elfmdl and Rifling82 like this.
  6. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

Really? I almost cleaned up and retook the picture cause I was embarrassed at how messy it is lol

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Got a pair of Dillon 550's, one for large primer and one for small primer.

towboater likes this.
  8. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I have Lee presses.
    DSCF8182.JPG

Sniper03, towboater, Shopfox and 3 others like this.
  9. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Yeah I added the Hornady lock n load bushing setup to my Rock Chucker because of how easy it is to work with. I also added a Case Kicker to speed things up a bit too. I generally load in stages so the Case Kicker helps a lot. What I mean by stages is; I'll decap a thousand cases then wet tumble them. Then I'll take them and go watch TV while I prime them with a hand primer. Then I'll come back to the press and charge them and seat the bullets. Then at the end I'll crimp them all. Doing one operation at a time like that makes things move pretty quickly especially on larger runs.

EDIT: obviously not as fast as a progressive but then I weight every load. Not using a measure allows me to use different powders and not be stuck with ball powders. For instance I use a lot of 700X (flake powder). Really good powder and it runs cheaper. Always trying to save a penny :)

I dare you to try that with 700X LOL

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  10. Rifling82

towboater, OLD Ron and PaBushMan like this.
  11. OLD Ron

I too use 700x ...... have for years . In the star it does well but not on every time . In 38 special it isn't enough to notice . I have around 100lbs. of different powders that I have never used so the big plan is to load a lot of that stuff up & see what it does . Will be on line a lot looking it up for specs on it . I need to thin out my powder safes .... a lot !

towboater, oO_Rogue_Oo and Rifling82 like this.
  12. Rifling82

I started out on a Hornady single stage, I decided I was to ADD. I like the Dillion cause it’s faster, weigh my charge every 10 or 20 at the start, then every 100 or so and just load in between, all my reloads are just plinking

towboater and OLD Ron like this.
  13. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

14. OLD Ron

I noticed with bushman's loading there are some empty spaces he need to fill up ! :)

towboater and PaBushMan like this.
  15. Rifling82

I just built a little reloading room last year in my shop, it’s still a work in progress on how I want to organize it

towboater and OLD Ron like this.
  16. Rifling82

Bushman, just ignore him

towboater, PaBushMan and OLD Ron like this.
  17. OLD Ron

Did you PC those reds & gold yourself PA ?

towboater likes this.
  18. OLD Ron

Would you listen to a guy that rides a Huffy or a Harley PA ? :p

19. Rifling82

Lmbo, I was 8

Shopfox and OLD Ron like this.
  20. Rifling82