What new cleaning rod should I get?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Ruger22lr, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

I didn't know this but evidently the cleaning rod I have is bad since it is aluminum and is a 3 piece so I need a new cleaning rod. What is a good one for me to get? Biggest rifle I have is a Mosin Nagant. Also what bore guide should I get? Preferably a universal one. I have 2 Ruger 10/22's, SKS, Mosin Nagant for rifles.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Good luck!There are so many top-notch rods on the mrkt these days picking "one" is going to be a chore.

Noting,I like coated steel one pce.Generally,because I can't make them.CF and SS rods,along with ANY guide systems are easily fabbed in our shop(and have made a few...duh) yet,......I still plug away with two Kleenbore coated rods(economically priced).

I do have several "jointed" Alum rods....and believe it or not,they do get used once in awhile.They ain't hittin on a whole lot and you need to be very careful.....but,that goes for any rod.

3. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

It says .27 caliber and up so it should be good for your .30 caliber rifles unless you have mile long barrels. I have a .300 Win. Mag. target rifle with a 28" barrel and they have a longer rod section for longer barrels that they sold me. It works great. You will need a smaller diameter rod for your .22 caliber rifles. They also make a reciever guide for your bolt guns.

This is the one for your .30 caliber bolt guns if they have scopes but it will work well for both.

https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=109_119&product_id=487

They also make muzzle guides for your automatics.

https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=109_117_121

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Just get bore snakes.

6. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Oh good I'm safe then. Will have to get them next time I get paid. Would this be okay for my SKS? https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=109_117_120&product_id=425. Also since the nylon coated one isn't much more expensive should I go with it or not?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  7. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I vote for the Otis system.

9. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  10. JWagner

JWagner New Member

If you have the kit that goes with your Mosin, it has the rod guide that fits over the end of the barrel.

11. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Don't those scratch the bluing and ruin the crown/muzzle?