What Needs Replaced?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AlwaysAardvarks, Apr 5, 2012.

1. AlwaysAardvarks

AlwaysAardvarks New Member

It's my own fault, I know. I trusted a friend's self-proclaimed expertise to do a "trigger job" on my S&W M&P 15 lower. I now get intermittent 2-round bursts. Looks like the hammer and disconnector got too close to the file and need replaced. Should that do it, or have any of you had to go further and replace springs, pins, or other widgets? I know it ain't fixed 'til it's fixed, but any words of advice or other things to look for? Thanks in advance.

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

If you are unsure of what your friend did then I suggest replacing the entire trigger group and springs. He may have altered the springs and reduced the trigger weight to unsafe levels or he may have shaved some metal off of the sear and disconnector. Either way you now have an unsafe gun, illegal if it truly "doubles" with a single trigger pull.

3. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Those Wantabe gunsmiths will do ya every time.
    Looks like a trigger overhaul to bring it back to factory specification.

Maybe, its just your touch and you need to practice to feel the new trigger pull.

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Its difficult to say what needs to be replaced without knowing what he did. Your intermitent double taps could be the resualt of a few different things. It'd probably be best to replace your entire assembly and friend. just kidding.

Look up ALG triggers, trigger jobs by professionals.

5. cbibb

cbibb New Member

For a good trigger get a rock river 2stage match trigger and get somebody that knows what they are doing put it in best for the money unless you want a giessel lot more money put its the best trigger close to 300.00 good luck CB

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

A RRA 2 stage is very simple to install, just read the directions and DIY.

Unless you can negotiate with your LGS to install the trigger you just purchased from him for no extra cost.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

my advice: dont let self claimed "experts" no matter how good a friend they are work your guns over. get rid of the trigger and hammer now as there have been incidents of the atf going after diy trigger experts trying to make guns go full auto. you dont want to get mixed up in that.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Um.....only the High speed DMR and national match models are up there.

Your standard SSA can be found for $155 shipped.

And RRA 2 stage are a great alternative and can be found at a great price point. But they have a nasty reputation of doubling and going auto as they age.

9. AlwaysAardvarks

Thanks for the great responses. All suspect parts have been removed from lower receiver, filed to death, and discarded. Since I assembled the lower myself, and it worked fine, I'm going to reassemble it with new parts, accept whatever trigger pull I get, and not fix something that wasn't broken in the first place. No one but a licensed gunsmith will work on any of my firearms in the future. Potentially disastrous lesson learned. Thanks again; this is a great forum!

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

11. AlwaysAardvarks

Tikki, thank you! Looks like just what the Aardvark should order.

12. AlwaysAardvarks

Went the cheap route and replaced ruined hammer and disconnector with DPMS parts, as originally built. Runs fine now.

13. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Thanks for the follow-up.

All too often the solutions to problems posed here don't get posted. It's good to know what works and what doesn't.

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Good to know your problem got resolved.

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Honestly, I think you made a good choice. The milspec trigger is usually a good trigger. I really would only recommend changing it if and when you need something more out of it. For practical and short distance shooting its a great triger, provided that you don't get a lemon. It really just seems that it is the luck of the draw. Because of variances from looser tolerances, tiny tiny differences can change the way they feel and behave. Most are good, but you may you may get unlucky and get a lemon. I usually recommend starting with the milspec. You can always upgrade later if you feel the need to down the road.

............got any gun pron.? Need a new fix every day plz.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  16. AlwaysAardvarks

Thank you, gentlemen. I don't believe I've ever had such a positive response like this anywhere. How very kind of each of you to reply. This really is a friendly site, and I thank for your help and for making me feel so welcome. God bless all here!