What makes an ACOG scope worth $2000

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by safedman, Aug 27, 2010.

1. safedman

safedman New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6thfpoqOavQ&feature=related]YouTube - Trijicon Acog 4x32 TA31F Scope[/ame]

Sweet scope and would Love to have one but...2K???? Dang :(

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

3. safedman

safedman New Member

Yes it is...

But after $1700 who keeps track ? :)
    I would really like one of these on my AR.....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  4. orangello

orangello New Member

Military procurement procedures perhaps or in part?

Adjusting the Bottom Line - TIME $400 hammer, $600 toilet "seat", etc.

Spending other peoples' money is easier than spending your own; that is a big part of the reason this country's budget is soooooooo screwed.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Orange, loan me 2K brother...and I will gladly pay you back on Tuesday. ;)

[​IMG]

6. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

That is a lot a coin. It is very cool though.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Use one for a day and you will understand. They are simply outstanding. Optics are crystal clear, reticule is easy to use and intuitive.

Also, they are Marine proof which is impressive. Almost indestructible.

8. Ripper

Ripper New Member

Nothing at all really. I have gone through 2 myself. One a private leaned against a wall and it was knocked over and the glass broke. I and along with several other soldier's in the military who served OCONUS and other places have had them fog up on the inside making them ineffective.

Are they worth what they are asking? IMO no they are not. I will tell you a funny story shortened up. There is a soldier in my unit that bough one of those "Cloned ACOG's" and it made it through the hole deployment without cracking or fogging up when the real thing didn't make it.

Hope that helps,
    -RIP

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

That is pretty hilarious. I know a guy with an Aimpoint clone and aside from eating batteries, it has been 100% awesome.

I'm surprised to hear you broke a couple of ACOGs. I've had good luck with them, and the guys I know who deployed with them love them.

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Diminishing returns is what the ACOG is about IMO. You can probably get something 99% as good for much less. To some that 1% difference is well worth the cost though.

11. safedman

safedman New Member

Marine Proof.

Nuff said.
    My middle brother was a Marine...destructive rascel! ;)
    I am going to work at getting one of these, heck at 50 I may never get to use it by the time I can buy, but my oldest boy will Love it!!

Funny you speak of cost and dependability. I was at the range yesterday and met up with a few guys from Southern Maine up for bear season. One was shooting a Sako, 338 Win Mag with a beautiful Stock sitting on top a lowly (some think) Bushnell 3x9. I asked were was the Leuopold? He said " I have broken every scope I have put on this rifle from recoil. The only one that has lasted is this $40 Bushnell from Wal Mart." Last hunt his scope blew and he went to wayy to get a quick replacement to hunt.

Just goes to show, $$$ doesn't always mean reliability. Good point guys.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  12. gpsbylleh

gpsbylleh New Member

Good glass

The last - almost - 4 decades now, i look through scopes for a living. Like most everything in life, "you get what you pay for". And, quality optics is certainly no exception to the rule.

The average workn' guy like us, can seldom drop $3K on a Swarovski, or Zeiss. Most of us are relegated to the $500 price range, and lately, those offerings have greatly improved in quality the last few years. And, with a little searching, many of those are often at sale prices around $200. But a cheap scope, like a junk trigger; just makes you want to stay on the porch!

For example, pick up a scope and look through it normally and notice around the circumference, are the edges fuzzy, or discolored like looking through a prism or kaleidoscope; are the crosshairs blurred out at the glass's edges??? If so, that's one indication of poorly manufactured glass.

Begin a study with a Google of chromatic, and spherical aberration.

Then Google the many professional articles on what makes a quality rifle scope.

But...still, that can't stop us from dreaming and planning for that high end scope!!! Buy the very best that you can afford - till it hurts, you'll never regret it!

best always,
    gpsbylleh

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Leuopold? There are many others, but as a Mainer or Hunter in Maine, all you guys use Leupold scopes. WTF is anyone in Maine shooting at that requires a 338 Mag? Even w/ Bear up here it does not take that much gun. So how does one blow out a scope and get a replacement that is sighted in for the hunt? Leupolds are guaranteed for life! Why toss that option? My lowly Simmons 3-9x32mm sat on my Savage 7mm Rem Mag for years, I replaced it w/ a Weaver V10 2.5-10x38mm and moved the Simmons to a Husqvarna 640 in 8x57 w/ an original side mount, it is still going strong. All most all the Bear, and Whitetail hunters I know in Maine use a 7600 w/ a 2-7x or strait 2..3x scope. .270, .308, .30-06. I am the odd one in the group. Your story just does not jive.

14. safedman

safedman New Member

Story doesn't jive?? In what way?
    Re-read.
    Met some guys from southern Maine, one was shooting a Sako in 338, had a Bushnell on top, I asked where is the Leuopold. What does not jive?
    The part he stated he has broken everything he put on it or the fact he is shooting a 338 for Bear? You would need to ask him. They were from Southern Maine, I am from Northern Maine
    I use a 270 Pro Hunter with a Simmons, 3x9x50. If I could afford Leuopold it would be sitting on the top of that Pro Hunter.

I did not say he blew a scope the day I met him. I stated he told me he blew everyscope he ever put on it. Why not use the lifetime warrenty of a Leuopold?? You would have to ask him. IMHO if I blew a scope on a trip. I would buy one, take it to the nearest range or when bear hunting there is lots of woods to sight it in....sight it in and I am hunting. He can use a 338 if he wants.....His choice.
    What does not jive?
    Plus..some think a 7mm mag is over gunning.
    Hope this clears up any questions you have.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010