what makes a rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by link, Jul 31, 2007.

1. link

link New Member

me and my friend have been argueing over what makes a rifle a rifle and what makes a shot gun a shot gun.

also, someone once told me that a 4-10 is a rifle. how is this true?

2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

A rifle has a rifled bore, a shotgun generally does not. Although a "sabot" slug is made to be fired through a rifled barrel, it's still shotgun ammo.

A .410 bore (gauge) is a shotgun. It's a small shotgun.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

rifle?

A rifle has rifled bore,barrel at least 16" in length and 26" overall length,and some type of stock that can be used to aim from shoulder position as per batfe. A shotgun has 18" barrel,28" overall length.

4. MudHog

MudHog New Member

Someone correct me if I am wrong on the exact number, but a .410 is a .68 gauge shotgun. I remember this back from my hunters education course. So when people say: 10ga. , 12ga. , 28ga. , etc. the .410 would be called a .68 gauge.

Definition of rifle: 1. A firearm with a rifled bore, designed to be fired from the shoulder. 2. An artillery piece or naval gun with such spiral grooves.

Definition of shotgun: 1. A smoothbore gun that fires shot over short ranges. Also called scattergun.

5. Catfish

Catfish New Member

You pretty well have the defination, but to add alittle more, the gage of a shotgun is the number of round lead balls in 1 lb. of lead. ie. a there would be 12 round balls the dia. of the 12 ga. bore, 16 in a 16 gage ect. As mentioned the .410 is the odd ball in that it`s is measured in decimal being .410 of an in.