What makes a good Suppressor??

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by JonM, Apr 7, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

ok i know about less than 0 about sound supressors. may get one for the gsg 1911-22. what features make a good suppressor. i dont trust other forums so i dont care to look elsewhere. if someone has a good trust worthy article or two on the topic i would like to read it. if you know about the topic i wanna learn. normally i do google searching but on this topic i dont know enough to trip my BS meter.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Jon, I was thinking of a smart aleck answer, but I'll pass cuz I am interested also.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

go for it lol i like humour like the next guy :)

we got faqs about what to look for in 1911s glocks ar15 ak47 etc. but i cant find anything about how to differentiate one brand from another and whats a good feature list.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The big ticket item right now is the "Z" baffle. It's a design that allows for wind forces to swirl in different directions. By wind, I mean the air moved by the round once ignited.

AAC and SilencerCo. are two of the top companies out there, right now, based on what I have seen, personally - hands on, without shooting them.

I have a 1911 that was designed in collaboration between Nighthawk and AAC.

After the SHOT show 2011, I was swayed to order the Osprey .45 Suppressor from Silencerco because of the passion they showed for the product.

Here is a picture of a 1911 chambered in .50AE with an Osprey on it.

I am awaiting the delivery of the suppressor so I can test it and report back...

Attached Files:

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks. my first silencer purchase im looking at a one for my gsg. what are the issues with running lots of ammo thru one. how often do they need to be cleaned??

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Cleaning is a big issue with rimfire suppressors. Some companies make suppressors that you your self can take down to clean, they might require a special tool or just basic hand tools. As you know 22lr is DIRTY. Some make suppressors that you have to box up and send back to them to get them cleaned. It just depends on which one you buy. The nice thing is you can send it to them the suppressor and they can send it directly back to you with no need for any middle men.

If I were you I would look at getting a 9mm or 45acp can that way you can use it on the 22lr up to a 45acp.

Are you going to apply yourself or are you going to do the purchase with a trust. I have heard that doing the trust is slightly harder in the beginning but makes life easier in the long run as you yourself don't own the suppressor the trust does. I don't know what all is involved with a trust for a suppressor.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

I've already got the trust made. Finished that yesterday evening.

I prefer to do the cleanimg myself and having to send something to the manufacturer for a routine cleaning is right out of the question. That's one biggee I didn't even know about.

The trust is the better way to go in the long run even in wisconsin. Here even with a trust for pistol caliber you still gotta get fingerprints photos and leo sign off but not for sbr sbs rifle caliber or suppressors. Also you put your wife on it and she can use the nfa item without you being there.

8. opaww

opaww New Member

9. Mac11

Mac11 New Member

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

today i made my first silencer purchase. i picked up a silencerco sparrow 22 for the GSG 1911-22. was a lot easier than i thought. the class3 dealer had one in stock and they filled out all the paperwork for me. all i had to do was review it and sign.

now i gotta go back and take the gsg in and see if it needs an adapter or not.

i picked the sparrow because of its ease of cleaning and disassembly without tools.

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thanks but its got the same basic design problem most supressors have. Can't take it apart for cleaning and inspection.

13. IRackNBack

IRackNBack New Member

So you were able to walk out of his shop with it after signing the paperwork? From my understanding there was a LONG waiting period like 4 months or something.

I've been wanting one really bad but not sure I want my name on all the govt databases!

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

No I'm waiting on the feds now as well. I was just referring to filling out the paperwork itself.

All I had to do was give them a copy of my trust papers and they did the rest.

15. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Gosh I came late I was trying to warn you about this guys messages, he's going wild.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

?????????????

17. Ltriker

Ltriker New Member

Be sure to let us know how YOU like the sparrow. i have several friends who have them and love them. Quiet and easy to clean, te two most important things for a rimfire can.

I have several TAC 65 suppressors and they work well, are easy to break down and clean, and were not expensive.

Currently running them on a P22, a SW 422, a short barrelled 10-22, and on a GSG5.

What was that^? Spammers?