What mag is this?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Mosin, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Bought a mag, comes in a brown paper package, says 'mil-dtl-117h'. 'Ty.2cl.cst.1'
    The bottom of the mag says '19200 assy 5508694 mfr. 30745'

It's a black 7 rounder.

I don't know if its mil surplus, or a knock off looking to be mil surplus. It's almost identical to my factory kimber mag.

Any one know about these? Are they any good?

Thanks in advance.

2. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I found this on another forum.

"I called Anniston DRMO this afternoon and spoke with the individual who has handled most of the listings for material under the 1005 FSC Code. He has been there for two years and has not had any large sales of magazines. However, he does know that pistol magazines have been sold in small quantities (200-300) at Anniston and at other DRMO sites. He gave me the website to look at DRMS sales: http://www/drms.dla.mil

I went there and found that the number on the bottom of the magazine in question is a VALID partial NSN. The whole NSN is:
    1005-00-5508694. The nomenclature for the item is: Magazine, Cartridge, Steel, Phosphate Coated, 7 Cartridge Capacity

I also discovered a site to identify the other numbers on the bottom of the magazine. They are generally referred to as "Cage Codes." The site is: http://www.dlis.dla.mil/CAGESearch

19200 = US Army Armaments Reasearch and Development Command, New Jersey (NOTE: This code formerly assigned to US Frankfort Arsenal)

30745 = Mason-Rust Co., Pittsburgh, PA 15200

Mason-Rust Company is no longer in business. It was absorbed into Rust Engineering in the 80's and no longer exists as a separate entity.

Based on all of the above, the good news is that, YES, these are real USGI surplus items.

As for the DRMO Disposal Codes, it turns out that Code B items can be disposed of intact if they pose "no significant military effect."

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I have one of them, don't care much for it but it does feed well. It's a MFR. 1M291

Attached Files:

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Then why don't you like it?

6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The feed lips are a bit sharp, loading is uncomfortable, unloading is worse.

It's also very difficult to release the slide when the mag is empty. Not a big deal but still, none of my other mags are like that.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

LOL, an MFer.

8. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

That's exactly how mine is.

Orangey, you should know I bought the .45 because I'm at a camp in the woods and bears are everywhere around here.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

See my previous post for a bear description; you know what you should do and don't forget to hide the shovel.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

the authentic milsurps are solid as hell. best most reliable 1911 magazines out there bar none.

ive got a few that served in ww2 in the pacific theater still going strong. pulled em out of the trash when the 25th was going M9

11. emo

emo Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Didn't it come with one of those cool unloading tools? The tools typically say 1911 or 1911A1 on them.

12. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

So what I have appears to be legit then? They're the cheapest mags my gun store has, they're unused, sealed in the wrapper. They shoot fine.
    Just wondering if I should buy more.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

folks that fake them generally dont bother hunting down letter punches in the correct military font and stamping them with enough force to create the lettering in that fashion.

true milspec 1911 mags are the gold standard

14. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys! I'm
    Gonna buy them all so when New York decides to ban 7 round mags next, I'll get rich.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Yankee ingenuity? :D

16. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Southern ingenuity son, southern.

:D