What light are you running?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by DickTheNickhead, Jul 6, 2013.

1. DickTheNickhead

DickTheNickhead New Member

What light are you running?
    How many lumens?
    Cost?
    Pics?
    I'm shopping around and what to see what's popular and what you (smart) folks are running...
    ...thanks

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

surefire tactical 200 lumens it cost me just under $100 it take 123a batteries.

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

photo.jpg

hers a pic the one thing this light only has one setting, its a 6px tactical

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Sigtac stoplight. 450 lumens. Eighty bucks or so, I think.
    The flashlight is great. :)
    The little red light is worthless. :(

Attached Files:

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

stay tuned for a my review on weaponslights........ 1 week, 2 weeks tops.

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

What am I looking at? Do you have a better picture?

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I would love to have a light on my AR, but it is illegal over here.:mad:

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont have any use for a light on my firearms. we got maglites in the house if such a thing is needed.

11. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

12. MisterMcCool

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

14. MisterMcCool

Oops. It's a bullpup Saiga 12 from Center Balanced. You've seen it before.

Attached Files:

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Some people are huge on lights, and some are not.

On a scale of 1-14 (I like round numbers), I'm probably about '3' when it comes to tac-light enthusiasm. I have one each on a pistol and an AR. The one on my AR is actually a Crimson Trace pistol light, because it weighs almost nothing and is set up in a way that works great for me. But many people won't love my setup.

Buy what works for you. Whether the cost or awesomeness suits everyone else or not.

16. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

Understood, I had little use for a lot of stuff till I moved to the sticks. But one yard light and onery chicken eating critters can make you want them.

17. Seven

Seven New Member

I have several lights from Surefires to Streamlights, but the one I'm really digging right now is on my "SHTF" AR. A simple InSight HX120 with an iWeapons mount.

The light is plenty bright, but the main reason I like it is that it runs on a single CR123 battery (also doesn't hurt that you can find them NIB on eBay for $50.) And my EOTech also runs on a single CR battery. The grip on my BCM holds 3 spare batteries (3 CR batteries, or 2 AA batteries). So, I have 3 backup batteries for my light and sight.

[​IMG]

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'm running an old Pentagon LED. 100 lumens. As far as I can tell they don't make them anymore. I find that much more than 100 lumens for indoor use was actually too much light. If I were trying to use one outdoors out to 100 yds than a brighter light would be better.

I like LED lights because the element itself is pretty shock resistant. But I tried some cheap ones and found that they would shut down or blink under recoil because they do not retain contact. So, if you pick up a cheap light as a weapon mounted light, try it at a range in low light and test it lit under recoil. You don't want to be counting in a light in a worst case scenario, only to find it is going to take a dump the first time you use it lit, and leaves you in the dark.

19. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

SureFire X300, 200 lumen variety.

Unless you live in a large house or own a large parcel of property, having blinding white light works on you as much as it works on the bad guy.

In a small to medium sized house, 250 lumens is about as high as I'd go.

For something that's meant for outdoor use or good sized properties, you can up the lumens. Honestly, out to about 50 yards or so, it just isn't necessary.

I prefer the X300 due to the weight and form factor. It's hard to find another options with equivalent features and less size/weight. The X300 can take a pretty hard smack and still function properly.

Perhaps it's just my eyes or using incandescent SureFire products, but I prefer the warm color temperature aftermarket LED's to the colder color temperature LED's that SureFire uses.

I have bins full of SureFire stuff and about the only lights I use on a regular basis are the SureFire Backup and X300.