What life lessons has the music you listen to taught you?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by kfox75, Jan 10, 2017.

1. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

So for the last year or so, I've been thinking of a thread idea, that I haven't acted on until now, as I know most on here are not likely fans of country music. However, most music with lyrics does contain either a good story, or a lesson that can be taken from it, so why not share some of these lessons with others via the songs them self?

Videos optional, or even just the title, and what it taught you, or even why it has inspired you to do whatever it is that it inspired you to do. Any song, ant genre, just as long as it speaks to you.

Lesson one for me: You never find love when you go looking for it, but it seems to find you when you are not seeking it.

Reba McEntire: Somebody.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p14-lNyBovM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p14-lNyBovM[/ame]

Sugarland: Want To

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_X8rcf0aU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_X8rcf0aU[/ame]

Here's why.

I've known my wife for 27 years at this point in my life, as she is one of my oldest and closest friends. We were perfectly content to leave it as it was, spend time and hang out with each other and her daughter, as the friends we are, but one moment changed everything, much as it did in the case of the main charachters in both songs above. Some little moment that has changed everything since, that we both still look back on, and wonder just how we both missed it for so long.

How about you?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You speak of decisive moments, musical epiphanies, as it were.

OTOH, I've found that a lot of the formative music, which

I listened to when I was young, from Gospel to Rock, has

stayed with me an entire lifetime...

Ref BTO-"Secondhand"-sometimes a thing which turns out to be a major

influence in your life isn't shiny or new, it's a legacy, or just a beginner's

beater, but it shapes you life in ways you never imagined, when you first held it.

3. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Now you done it .....:mad: Got me turning into a marshmallow ...! Yeah , I'm a big ole softy , now I got to listen to some Sabath or something , War Pigs !

Music , good music is good music period , I don't much care for talking rap or Oprah but like just about all else . ;)

So Therewolf , you have these manifestations of divine intervention frequently ?
    Take two aspirin and call me in Za mornik .....! These apiphanies shall disperse (poof)....! :D

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, dango, you might say I'm just a free-flowing

source of unconventional interventional proclivity, and

an occasional source of unintentional unbridled hilarity.

I've got the heater going full-tilt boogie, with the temps, lately.

You staying warm up there?

5. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You got to stop reading the dictionary , I'm stupid ....! :D Those multi sylable words are killing me .....:D

Yo , l'm hot , damn hot ......all that wood I got , I'm naked ...!

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I know that you need to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold'em. Know when to walk away and know when to run. Also I don't count my Mk ey when I'm sitting at the table.

7. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I used music to save my interest in life. All music IMO is a celebration, from Country to Classical, I guess here is as good a place to thank all the Artists and creators of music, Thank you all.

8. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

9. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

True story: How Pink Floyd changed my life.

True story: How Pink Floyd changed my life.

Back in 1998 I had been divorced for about a year,,,
    My personal life was in shambles.

I was living with my retired Pop,,,
    He and I built driftwood furniture for a living.

We weren't getting rich but we paid all of our bills and weren't going hungry.

Anyways, I had been "threatening" to go back to university,,,
    Get a degree and maybe put together a career with some sort of retirement.

One day Pop sold a bunch of furniture to a lady,,,
    She lived right next to the university campus.

Pop said, why don't you deliver the furniture,,,
    And while you are there you can see about enrolling for classes.

So I delivered the furniture one balmy summer morning,,,
    I finally found the proper building on campus but couldn't find a place to park.

So, screw it sez I,,,
    I'll do it some other time.

I started the 1 1/2 hour drive back to our place,,,
    The day was wonderful and I had the window down listening to a classic rock station.

Then the song "Time" came on the radio,,,
    I had been listening to that song for many many years,,,
    I was singing along with the radio when the words sudddenly made an impression on me.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
    Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
    Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
    Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
    You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

My Friends, I had heard and sang those words on thousands of occasions,,,
    But this time they sent a chill up and down my spine.

I pulled the car over to the side of the road,,,
    Thought about it for a moment and turned around.

I drove back to the campus and parked my car,,,
    I went in and filled out enrollment papers,,,
    And the application for student loans.

And yes, I got a $35.00 parking ticket.

But lo and behold,,,
    Five weeks later I got an acceptance letter,,,
    And I found I qualified for a PELL Grant and student loans.

I was 46 years old then,,,
    That was in the summer of 1998,,,
    I graduated with a B.S. in December of 2001,,,
    Then I graduated with an M.S. in December of 2004.

I got the professional job I now have in March of 2005.

I'll will retire from this job in 2019 exactly 751 days from now,,,
    It will give me near maximum amount of Social Security,,,
    And 14 years of participation in OTRS retirement.

That album came out in 1973,,,
    So it took 25 years for the words to sink in,,,
    But as you can see the song changed my life for the better.

When I die my musician brother will play at my wake,,,
    There are three songs he will repeat several times.
    • Rolling Stones - You can't always get what you want
    • Led Zeppelin - Nobody's fault but my own
    • The Animals - I'm just a soul whose intentions are good, Oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood.

That is the life lesson my music has taught me.

Aarond

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5WJJVSE_BE[/ame]

This one speaks to me.

and this one.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDKQhQXuvqA[/ame]

And this one

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwLl5nY5WPI[/ame]

11. SRK97

12. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

not so much my music, but the difference between my music and other music

First thing: way back in the misty dawn of time, a young boxer named Cassius Clay learned this from his trainer: You got a clock in your head, going tick, tick, tick. He got a clock in his head going tick, tick, tick... He hits you when his clock ticks, you hit him when your clock ticks. When your clock and his clock go tick at the same time, hit him hard and throw his clock off.

I believe that is one reason why country boys and rock and roll souls clash, different clock rates. country boy clocks jar rock and roll soul clocks out of sync and vice versa.

Second thing; requires experimentation: Country music lyrics push country boy buttons. I noticed this when I heard a country song with lyrics along the lines of

" I was SWINGING with a GAL in a CALICO DRESS on the FRONT PORCH of THE OLD FAMILY FARM when..." If you heard that song and tapped your finger every time you heard the capitalized words, your finger would be running steady as a metronome. If you get that rhythm down by tapping your finger in time with country boy buttons on one song, you will find the same rhythm in every country song. If you want to write country songs, do that and get a list of country boy buttons that work well together.

People who listen to other music don't have those buttons connected. JOHN DEERE GREEN and BOOTS AND HATS AND CADILLACS mean zippo to people who don't get country music. The combination of different clock rates and meaningless cultural clues make country music inaccessible to fans of other music.

Third thing: I think it would be fascinating to ask people who are being booked in to jail what kind of music they listen to. see if one flavor dominates, see if jazz outweighs opera...

anent "You can't always get what you want" by the Stones:

• You can't always get what you want
    • Sympathy for the Devil
    • Wild Wild Horses
    • Sister Morphine
    • As Tears Go By by the Stones
    • And your bird can sin by the Beatles
    • Carrie Ann by the Hollies
    were all written about the same girl, Mary Ann Faithfull, who was not.

a vision of loveliness. every guy has the same reaction at 24 seconds in:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2EjkXHTaX8[/ame]

read her history and your skin will crawl at 24 seconds in:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZszSQSiUH2c[/ame]

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The same can be said of various folk music genres.
    I love the bagpipes. But you need to have a special appreciation of highland Culture to really enjoy them.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfsasAlICo8[/ame]

14. echo1

echo1 Active Member

I grew up in the SF bay area in the '60s & '70s, music was everywhere, and Coke bottle cheap. Tried to list all the bands and musicians once, but kept, missing some.

Not only the professional, there's a wealth of talented folks at every level. My bud has been having practice every Tuesday at 6 since 1976. Different bands, people come and go as life is lived, but they know if they're in the area that day, they can come an sit in. I've roadied and run sound, and shot some of the best of Santana ever.

Music should touch you, move you. My spousal unit of 44 years has heard/seen more than me. Missed the boat on Bonnie Raitt, sold out in 2 hours. PAX

15. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

Music is my first passion. I collect vinyl mostly 50's rockabilly and punk music. I have classic rock also, like Queen, David Bowie, velvet underground. But I also have a lot of early Johnny Cash, and Hank Williams. So I guess music taught me to not be closed minded. I don't really have favorite songs mostly favorite albums, my favorite is probably the Clash London Calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow.That's more replies than I expected.

microadventure. That is an interesting theory, that ijust might be a rare exception to, as i can stand pretty much any genre, and it just seems to be certain groups that wind up jarring me. If you were to look in the Mp Program on my external drive, you would find everything from Bach to AC\DC, and Hank Williams to 2Pac. Or Montgomery Gentry to NWA. Also some Devo and ICP in there as well, and I listen to what I feel like listening to at the time, as it varies by my mood, and the day I'm having.

However, most often it's Metal, Rock, and Country.

Also, I do wonder what the music was growing up among most prisoners, and would love to see the same stats over the last century on that one.

Aaron. That's just what I was thinking of.

Time, which is one of their best IMHO, inspired you to follow that dream , and that path that led you to where you needed to go. Congratulations on your degrees, and your success.

For every door that closes, another will open, and it is up to you to see, and follow the path before you.

17. SRK97

18. Hooligan12

Hooligan12 New Member

The song by Tim McGraw, "Live Like You Were Dying" holds a special meaning to me because my Dad died two weeks before he got to retire. I remember him telling me about all we would get to do together when he retired. I am doing as much as I can while I can. YOLO

19. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Well-Known Member

Three songs that really, I don't know how to say it, get to me or hold special to me, or really touch me inside you might say. But Marshall Tucker Bands Can't You See, George Jones He Stopped Loving Her Today and George Jones Choices. Which in my opinion He Stopped Loving Her Today is the best country song ever.